Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Check out the Highview Park neighborhood of Arlington (off Lee Hwy, behind Virginia Hospital Center), it traditionally has been more done-up with multicolored lights and lots of decorations beyond the Northern Virginia standard of "tasteful and demure" tiny white lights.
Now that's my kind of neighborhood. I like the big honking multi-colored lights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Now that's my kind of neighborhood. I like the big honking multi-colored lights!
Me too! All-white is boring and not very festive. In my opinion, if less is more, then more is even more!

We drove around tonight looking at lights in our surrounding neighborhood, and definitely more went up over the weekend. We even saw at least three houses where people were out in the cold windy dark trying to put lights up. At our house, we've got everything up outside - large Nativity set, lots of inflatables, lights, large wreath, etc. We try to make the most of our corner lot.

Outdoor decorating does seem to be infectious. A block of no lights, followed by a block where every house has a little something. Some of my neighbors aren't Christian, but put up lights because they like them and think it's fun to decorate. I know some people in mixed-faith (Christian/Jewish) families who put up white and blue lights.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
You are correct Normie. Traditional Jews who observe Jewish law would choose to live within walking distance to a synagogue because on Sabbath they are not allowed to drive. Therefore they need to be able to walk to synagogue.

In today's day and age, this would most likely apply to Orthodox Jews rather than Conservative or Reform. Doubtful that there is a neighborhood like that in Arlington as there is not an Orthodox synagogue there. It's possible there are neighborhoods where Jews tend to live. Mantua in Fairfax might be a good example. I'm not familiar enough with Arlington to know, but I'm guessing it's a mixture of non-Christians and people with busy lives who haven't yet bothered to put up lights.

Hardly anyone decorates on my street, and we are the only Jewish family. I'm pretty sure the rest of them are Christian, yet none of them decorate. It's pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
At least that's what I've heard. I'm not that familiar with Jewish traditions so maybe I'm wrong. Now you've got me curious--is that a tradition, or more like a myth?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Like someone else said, it's still early. Keep in mind, many people travel for Thanksgiving so they wouldn't have decorated that weekend and this past weekend was too windy and cold.

Normally, I wait until two weeks before Christmas before decorating. This year, I'm so excited about our first Christmas in our first home (that we own), I decorated Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
True, and good point. What I was thinking was that if a temple was nearby, there are likely to be a high number of Jewish people because many traditionalists need to have a house within walking distance of the temple.

At least that's what I've heard. I'm not that familiar with Jewish traditions so maybe I'm wrong. Now you've got me curious--is that a tradition, or more like a myth?
well, just a point of information its mainly Reform Jews who call them "temples" and they are the ones least likely to live in a house near one, since Reform does not consider it obligatory to follow the ritual restrictions of Shabbat.

Orthodox Jews almost always need to live near a synagogue. However NoVa has no Orthodox synagogues, other than 3 Chabad ones.Chabad mainly does outreach to non orthodox jews, so they often do not have a concentration of walkers near by. AFAIK the only one in NoVa that does is Chabad Fairfax, at Little River and Prince William. Even there, I doubt there is more than one block that has a majority of Jewish homes.

Conservative Judaism allows driving on shabbat for those for whom walking is not feasible, but encourages people to live within walking distance. Most Conservative synagogues end up with a small minority of their congregants within walking distance. I know Agudas Achim in Alex has at least a couple of dozen families within walking distance, but again, that does not amount to a majority of houses on any one block. AFAICT its the same for Olam Tikvah off LRT. I doubt its higher at Etz Chaim in Arlington (on rte 50) or Cong Beth Emet in Herndon, as those synagogues are not as known for observant congregants as AA and OT are.

So unless the OP lives on the one block off LRT and Prince William that MAY have a majority of Jewish homes (and thats not in Arlington)
, there is something else going on - other non-Christians, others who arent into decorating, or folks who decorate late.

I hope this helped

Happy (insert appropriate holiday or seasonal reference here)!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
well, just a point of information its mainly Reform Jews who call them "temples" and they are the ones least likely to live in a house near one, since Reform does not consider it obligatory to follow the ritual restrictions of Shabbat.

Orthodox Jews almost always need to live near a synagogue. However NoVa has no Orthodox synagogues, other than 3 Chabad ones.Chabad mainly does outreach to non orthodox jews, so they often do not have a concentration of walkers near by. AFAIK the only one in NoVa that does is Chabad Fairfax, at Little River and Prince William. Even there, I doubt there is more than one block that has a majority of Jewish homes.

Conservative Judaism allows driving on shabbat for those for whom walking is not feasible, but encourages people to live within walking distance. Most Conservative synagogues end up with a small minority of their congregants within walking distance. I know Agudas Achim in Alex has at least a couple of dozen families within walking distance, but again, that does not amount to a majority of houses on any one block. AFAICT its the same for Olam Tikvah off LRT. I doubt its higher at Etz Chaim in Arlington (on rte 50) or Cong Beth Emet in Herndon, as those synagogues are not as known for observant congregants as AA and OT are.

So unless the OP lives on the one block off LRT and Prince William that MAY have a majority of Jewish homes (and thats not in Arlington)
, there is something else going on - other non-Christians, others who arent into decorating, or folks who decorate late.

I hope this helped

Wow, thanks for posting this! I know it was a little off topic but I found it very interesting and educational. Meanwhile, it sounds like you and michgc are right--this isn't the explanation. It may just be that the OP's neighborhood isn't into lights. Or (more likely, I think) that a few will put up lights in some sort of light-stringing frenzy next weekend.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I agree with everything Brooklynborndad said. Just an FYI, there are now 4 Chabads in Northern Virginia. They opened one in Herndon a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

I hope this helped

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I agree with everything Brooklynborndad said. Just an FYI, there are now 4 Chabads in Northern Virginia. They opened one in Herndon a couple of years ago.
Well I just learned something! My goodness, they are EVERYWHERE

Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Am I the only one who questions whether "Christmas spirit" should be equated with putting up lights? Many people in Arlington (and elsewhere) are very busy, or they may live alone, or be advanced in years, or have physical challenges, and putting up and taking down lights may be very difficult for them. But they may be helping other people, baking cookies for family or friends, rescuing abandoned pets in their community, etc., which I would include in "Christmas spirit" too.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM

43 posts, read 82,516 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. Now that's it's closer to Christmas I see more people have put up lights. My own neighborhood, Lyon Park, still has very few houses that have lights, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the neighborhoods around Westover on Washington Blvd. are nicely decked out. I need to check out the Highview Park neighborhood that was suggested. We also found a great link for nicely decorated houses in NOVA at Hollys Tacky Christmas Lights in Fairfax County, Virginia One of the houses featured is near us on Quebec St. in Cherrydale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia