Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times

Advertisements

Does anyone like the Harris Teeter sweet tea? I actually like it, but its not as sweet as how my mother makes it. I can actually taste the flavor of the tea and not just sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM

74 posts, read 122,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Does anyone like the Harris Teeter sweet tea? I actually like it, but its not as sweet as how my mother makes it. I can actually taste the flavor of the tea and not just sugar.
My husband said it was too weak. It's just as easy to make rather than buy, so now I just make it for him. I don't like the stuff - and I consider myself Southern!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyStyx
Okay, no kidding. Actually, I think it's a treat for most people. Unless some folks drink it every day?
He would drink it every day if there were always some around! He tries to only drink it on the weekends (or his days off.) I DO know people who drink it every day, but it's not real healthy. But, it's no worse than drinking several sodas a day. Probably better, because if you make it yourself you're not putting preservatives and chemicals in it - it's "all natural". But, hey, laying out in the sun is "all natural" too, but it sure isn't good for you!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
My husband said it was too weak. It's just as easy to make rather than buy, so now I just make it for him. I don't like the stuff - and I consider myself Southern!!
My wife doesn't like sweet tea either, so you are not alone. We are from Alabama so its hard to get more southern than that.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Interestingly enough, there is an article in today's Washington Post about the level of "Southernness" in the DC region.

D.C. area and Dixie drifting farther and farther apart

I found this quote in particular to be telling:

"I do think we've reached a critical mass of some kind - we're not a real Southern state anymore," said former Virginia state senator Russell Potts, 71, a longtime lawmaker from Loudoun County and an independent gubernatorial candidate in 2005. "I happen to believe that southern Virginia now actually starts down near Richmond. You can't even say that Fredericksburg is Southern."

Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
The Civil war ended hundred years ago so the whole "Southern" th ing is really a mismnomer.
Yes historically it was the heart of the south, but this area particularly nova is so transient.
Hasnt this topic been beaten to death already on this forum? I have lived in GA,AL and FL and NOVA is far from southern.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
The Civil war ended hundred years ago so the whole "Southern" thing is really a misnomer.
Yes historically it was the heart of the south, but this area particularly nova is so transient.
Hasnt this topic been beaten to death already on this forum? I have lived in GA,AL and FL and NOVA is far from southern.
The article that I just referenced does make similar points to yours. As this thread has been fairly active over the last few weeks, I'd say there's some life left in it yet.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Interestingly enough, there is an article in today's Washington Post about the level of "Southernness" in the DC region.

D.C. area and Dixie drifting farther and farther apart

I found this quote in particular to be telling:

"I do think we've reached a critical mass of some kind - we're not a real Southern state anymore," said former Virginia state senator Russell Potts, 71, a longtime lawmaker from Loudoun County and an independent gubernatorial candidate in 2005. "I happen to believe that southern Virginia now actually starts down near Richmond. You can't even say that Fredericksburg is Southern."
I wouldn't rely on this reporter's facts too strongly. Russell Potts is from Winchester, VA, which is in Frederick county, attended Handley High School in Winchester(as did my husband), and has a big house on Handley Boulevard across from Handley High School.

I do agree that southern Virginia starts down near Richmond, the tidewater accent is much stronger there.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
Yummmm.. Sweet tea! When I was living in North Carolina, that's what you were served when you asked for iced tea. I think there is an art to making it--you have to make the "simple syrup" (ie, 2 pounds of sugar, I'm sure, for just a few glasses! -- joking, but maybe there's truth in that!).

A friend of mine here, who was raised in N.C., brought me in some sweet tea that she made, and it absolutely, positively was a high! I was chugging it all night at work and was bouncing off the ceiling, but in a good way -- not like the Mountain Dew Code Red "high" that did this and also made my whole body feel like it needed paramedics.

If you're in a Harris Teeter, look in the coffee/tea aisle for Sweet Leaf Iced Tea. The variety with mint and honey is a good takeoff on traditional sweet tea and delicious. It's in a plastic bottle and has a green label (there are other varieties of Sweet Leaf, but not as good).

To the main question on this topic: I'm living in N.Va., but that doesn't make me a Southerner. I think basically we should be called "transplants," a kinder term for what we were called before. Being a Southerner conjures up a whole lot of facets -- foods, accents, how you think your pace of life should be, the smell of magnolia in the area, for starters. (Well, in N.C., it was the smell of magnolia mixed with tobacco from the Reynolds factories, at the time!)

Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
The article doesn't really say much more than what we are discussing here. They begin with how many businesses in D.C. have "Southern" words including "Dixie" and how the Confederate Flag is barely flown anymore. They talk to a few Af-Ams who say D.C. still has a southern flavor but that's it.

I always like to hear what people have to say about where they live, have lived, etc. It's pretty obvious that the transient and immigrant population has changed the area. Heck, we all could have written a better article . . . .

Speaking of food: I do have to admit though that there's been a lack of "soul food" in the last 20 yrs. When I worked downtown, I found a Baptist church that served lunch on Fridays and yum, yum! We found a place out here in Winchester and it's very yummy. Had some ribs, potato salad, and cabbage the other day!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Amazing that 150 years ago rebel territory for all practical purposes started just South of the Belle View Shopping Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia