Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM

301 posts, read 692,321 times

Advertisements

Is there a list somewhere that shows which schools in FFX county are full-day compared to half-day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM

42 posts, read 102,073 times
ghetto61 - Thank you for your excellent suggestion to bring this topic up on the Education forum. I haven't been on those forums yet and will have to make my way over there soon.

hilsmom - You are correct that education has changed a lot (for the good and bad) over the last 15 years!!!!!!

kutra11 - Thank you for informing me this thread belongs to hilsmom. I haven't been on this forum long and didn't realize threads belong to people. I simply stated my opinion. Hilsmom responded and then I responded to her. I then wrote nothing else for hours.....

Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,008 times
Threads "belong" to certain people??

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,259 times
I don't think a thread "belongs" to anyone. I just was putting this out there for informational purposes.

yolli - I actually posted this in my other thread related to my neighborhood search, but it is pertinent information here as well. I borrowed this information from one of the articles related to this group. Here is the list of half-day K schools remaining in FCPS:
Armstrong ES
Reston
Canterbury Woods ES
Annandale/Fairfax
Cherry Run ES
Burke
Chesterbrook ES
McLean
Churchill Road ES

McLean
Clifton ES
Clifton
Colvin Run ES
Great Falls
Crossfield ES
Oak Hill
Fairview ES
Fairfax Station
Flint Hill ES
Vienna
Floris ES
Herndon
Forestville ES
Great Falls
Fox Mill ES
Herndon/Reston
Franklin Sherman ES
McLean
Great Falls ES
Great Falls
Greenbriar West ES
Fairfax/Chantilly
Haycock ES
McLean
Hunt Valley ES
Springfield
Kent Gardens ES
McLean
Louise Archer ES
Vienna
Navy ES
Fairfax/Oak Hill
Oak Hill ES
Oak Hill
Oak View ES
Burke
Orange Hunt ES
West Springfield
Ravensworth ES
North Springfield
Sangster ES
West Springfield
Silverbrook ES
Fairfax Station
Spring Hill ES
McLean
Stratford Landing ES
Alexandria
Sunrise Valley ES
Reston
Union Mill ES
Clifton
Vienna ES
Vienna
Virginia Run ES
Centreville
Wakefield Forest ES
Annandale/Fairfax
Waples Mill ES
Oakton
Willow Springs ES
Fairfax

Wolftrap ES
Vienna

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
The language of the budget amendment is as follows: “I move to amend the main motion by (1) directing the Superintendent to develop a plan to complete the implementation of full-day kindergarten in all Fairfax County elementary schools, beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, and completing implementation no later than the 2013-2014 school year; and (2) directing the Superintendent to identify the funding source for the implementation plan in FY 2012 (without increasing the county transfer request) and to present the plan to implement full-day kindergarten in the remaining 37 schools to the Board no later than the scheduled May 2, 2011, Budget Work Session.”
I think it is important to implement full day kindergarten also. I see how tough it is for my colleagues to try and fit in the same amount of curriculum in half the time.
I am wondering (not debating), if you have heard any suggestions about where the superintendent might be able to pull funds without increasing the transfer request? I read in one article that "A 2006 staff report on full-day kindergarten estimated the cost at $12 million for the final 21 schools originally slated to get the expanded service in fall 2009".

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,259 times
I have not been following the budget negotiations all that closely. I'll be honest - I don't forsee it all happening at once. I just want them to go on record saying that they are committed to continuing the roll out as quickly as they can.

I won't give MY opinion of where they should get money - THAT could lead to a debate! But it is only the opinion of one person...one with very little clout.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I have not been following the budget negotiations all that closely. I'll be honest - I don't forsee it all happening at once. I just want them to go on record saying that they are committed to continuing the roll out as quickly as they can.

I won't give MY opinion of where they should get money - THAT could lead to a debate! But it is only the opinion of one person...one with very little clout.

Ok. Cool. Thanks. I hadn't heard any suggestions and wondered if you had. I know the county exec. and BOS are talking about the schools getting less transfer this year.

And on your second point, you're right. It's best not to "go there", especially if you want to avoid a debate, although you've peaked my curiosity.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thanks for posting this hilsmon--this is the sort of thing where a networking site like city data can really shine.
Easy for us to say! It won't be our taxes that are raised to add all those additional classrooms on FC schools and hire all those new teachers! If they really do this, it will cost many millions in construction and new hires. That means real estate tax increases for everyone who lives in FC. Good for us, we don't live there!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ok. Cool. Thanks. I hadn't heard any suggestions and wondered if you had. I know the county exec. and BOS are talking about the schools getting less transfer this year.

And on your second point, you're right. It's best not to "go there", especially if you want to avoid a debate, although you've peaked my curiosity.
It's very difficult for politicians to raise taxes and increase budgets during a year where they are all up for re-election. But they'll have to, if they expand all day kindergarten to all schools. ALL of those schools will need construction money to add additional classrooms for all day kindergarten. Each school will need double the number of kindergarten rooms that they currently have.

Of course they could take those millions from the HUGE administration, the 8 cluster offices, Dale's 17 assistant administrator offices, etc. But we know that won't happen!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I think it is important to implement full day kindergarten also. I see how tough it is for my colleagues to try and fit in the same amount of curriculum in half the time.
I am wondering (not debating), if you have heard any suggestions about where the superintendent might be able to pull funds without increasing the transfer request? I read in one article that "A 2006 staff report on full-day kindergarten estimated the cost at $12 million for the final 21 schools originally slated to get the expanded service in fall 2009".
I think that was 21 schools that were supposed to get all day kindergarten in 2009. There are far more than just 21 schools without it. They were listen earlier in this thread. I really do not see how they can double the classroom space for kindergarten in 21 schools for only $12 million. Perhaps they intend to put all of those children in trailers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia