Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM

31 posts, read 64,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrish View Post
Funny, but the wedding band was given as a sign of ownership by the Romans.
thanks for the history lesson, but my point was just to get something for BOTH people, something that you share.

but you're right, if your partner likes jewelry, sure why not?

i would implore buyers to consider buying the lab-made diamonds, though, as the friendlier alternative to "blood diamonds."

if your fiancee wouldn't die of embarrassment, id suggest Costco as a place to get diamonds cheap, either online or in person. having worked there, I can attest that they offer discounts on the display pieces. also, they don't buy "blood diamonds." don't listen to them when they say they can't give you a discount- just keep asking! that goes for all of the display items at costco.

hope the marriage is taken as seriously as the jewelry purchase, and best of luck to the new/to-be-new couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,426 times
I don't know anything about Mervis, but since others are mentioning buying a stone online, I did just that in 2003. We upgraded our original engagement and weddings rings to platinum and I got a much better and bigger stone. After doing much research, we decided to buy online from a company in NYC who cuts their own diamonds and who has an excellent reputation. At the time they went by SuperbCert Diamonds. Now they are called Engagement Rings, Diamond Engagement Rings, Diamond Rings, Wedding Rings, Diamond Rings, Loose Diamonds at Excel Diamonds. The whole transaction was very smooth. I'd buy from them again.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM

97 posts, read 321,275 times
http://www.jamesallen.com/

This website used to be called dirtcheapdiamonds.com. The owner lives in Frederick and used to allow people come to his office and see three or four diamonds you'd pick from the listings and he'd have them shipped for you to look at in person. His prices used to be outstanding.

The new website does look a bit more "upscale," so I would not be surprised if the prices weren't quite as low, but it's worth looking at. I was thrilled with the diamond and setting I got here for our engagement.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrish View Post
Besides, you didn't ask want any of us would want, just what kind of discount we may have received.
Youre right on, and no one who has bought from Mervis has answered this yet

Its OK, the advice is all good and interesting points are being made, but I would love if someone posted or DM'd me their approximate % discount, if any. Mervis seems like one of those outfits that starts low to begin with so there isnt a lot of room, again both of my buddies who bought didnt get anything off.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Youre right on, and no one who has bought from Mervis has answered this yet
I don't remember. I'm not even sure we got a discount. I will say their prices were very reasonable. We got a very high-quality stone. It's not a "haggle" kind of place--though I suppose it couldn't hurt to call and ask if there are available discounts for military, seniors, seniors in the military, etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 16,112 times
I have not bought anything from Mervis, though I have shopped there several times with my In-laws who are big Mervis shoppers. I wouldn't assume at all that they would give you any kind of discount. Unless there is a sale, don't believe for a second that you will get a discount. Like any retailer they have to mark it up a certain percentage to make money, and you are also buying a piece of quality jewelry that is considered an asset.

We bought my setting through another retailer as my diamond came from my fiances family. As for "blood diamonds" retailers generally do not associate themselves in such a business anymore. It is considered bad business and illegal. You could ask if your diamond is from Canada which has a huge diamond business, if you want to avoid all African diamonds.

Honestly if you are looking to "haggle" then take a cruise, there are tons of jewelry stores right off the ships that the sales people will talk price with you. My parents bought me a nice emerlad and diamond ring there for my college graduation years ago, for only a few hundred dollars, they were talked down so cheap my parents couldn't refuse. But honsetly in the US noretailer is going to just give you discount off the bat for no reason, if you ask they probably be taken aback. Just look for sales.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyezfsu View Post
As for "blood diamonds" retailers generally do not associate themselves in such a business anymore. It is considered bad business and illegal. You could ask if your diamond is from Canada which has a huge diamond business, if you want to avoid all African diamonds.
Conflict diamonds are not an issue at reputable jewelers anymore. They all adhere to the Kimberly Process, which ensures that diamond proceeds are not going to fund genocidal revolutions.

The vast majority of diamonds are mined in Africa, especially South Africa. It's hard work, but keep in mind that these are good jobs that put food on the table in countries where food is not something everyone can count on. (Same with textile work in Asia.) Often, in such countries, the only other job available is prostitution--so jobs in any regulated industry are a godsend.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
five words: "he bought it at Jared's"

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcinvan View Post
DShawg1 - I wasn't trashing the website. Yes - I have been on it many times. I was just cautioning the OP to make sure that he is comparing apples to apples. I am sure you are aware that there are many different grades of diamonds. You can have a 1c for x amount of money at Blue Nile and a different 1c diamond for y amount at Mervis. What might seem like a better deal on Blue Nile may be deceptive if the quality is different.

BTW - Blue Nile sells diamonds that the bigger retailers reject. I know this as an industry insider. I am not saying they are not good diamonds - I am just saying they don't meet the quality control of bigger retailers.

Your average diamond purchaser may not necessarily understand the different grades of diamonds and that was my point.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway - not my intent. Geez.
I was actually going to say something about your last comment as well, as I also found it to be incorrect - Union Diamond and Blue Nile both have excellent stones and great customer service as well. You can search for stones on their site by all the qualities you want - the 4 primary C's - as well as additional characteristics. Plus the stones all have certifications to go with them, and you can skip past EGL, IGI, etc if you only want a GIA-cert stone. So their stones most certainly are not "rejects" and the result of poor quality control. I tried several local stores, in addition to online stores, and they couldn't come close to matching my price for the stone quality I received (and yes, that includes looking at all characteristics:the 4C's, stone proportions, finishing qualities, fluorescence, etc).

I spent several weeks discussing my wife's stone with the Union Diamond rep, and he gladly went through every detail with me answering all of my questions - which were well beyond the 4 basic C's. They worked with me to custom design her setting - including sending me CAD models, clay/wax models, and making sure that the finished product was exactly what I wanted. I got a much better stone than I could've gotten at a local store, and was able to jump up a few quality levels with the extra money.

The independent appraisal (no affiliation to the store/sale whatsoever), which is something everybody should have done no matter where they purchase, went through even more details with me and explained details far beyond the 15-20 characteristics I had selected on my own. The diamond was great quality and we got an excellent price from it. I've had several friends that have bought from Union and Blue Nile also with similar results.

I assume that buying an engagement ring is a substantial investment for anyone shopping, so no matter where you buy - do your research on diamonds first. Learn what different aspects affect the quality of the stone and how it reflects light, so that you'll have an idea of what all these characteristics of the diamonds mean when you're shopping in the store or searching online. And get an independent appraisal afterward since that's someone that spends everyday looking at diamonds and can actually see a visual difference between everything.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 AM

53 posts, read 171,713 times
When my husband I talked about getting engaged about 3 years ago, I told him that I don't need a huge, perfect diamond - or something insanely expensive since I didn't want to start our life together even further in debt. He went to Ultra Diamonds in Leesburg and got a beautiful engagement set for about $2000. Together it's 1ct, and though he said the diamond has some flaws, it's nothing that I can see. What does SHE want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia