Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

I don't know the answer, but this sounds like a horrible commute. It would have to be one helluva job offer to make it worthwhile, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
FFX Cty Pkway to 123, then 95. Maybe Dulles is a more direct shot somehow?

I know Reston is large when it comes to mailing addresses but that certainly seems a long ways around for Quantico. Guess it just depends from where though.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
we live in north reston, right next door to town of herndon and just south of lowes island/cascades. Our house is right between reston parkway and fairfax county parkway. It was the most direct route he could find.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Someone above said it would be an extra $150 per week. That is before taxes. Take out about 25% of that (or whatever your tax rate is). Now we're down to about $110 extra per week. I think you'd have to factor about $10 per day for gas if not more depending on how good your truck is on gas mileage. So now we're down to about $60 extra per week for an additional 10 hours of driving, not to mention wear and tear on your car and on your soul. Unless this bump in grade will make a huge difference in your life down the line or if this commute would be short-lived, I cannot see how it would be remotely worth it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Maybe negotiate at least 1-day per week to work at home? Would cut down on the traveling.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
One other small expense I thought of - if your commute changes dramatically, it could change your car insurance rates slightly. It probably wouldn't be that much, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
With this talk of gas prices possibly going as high as $5 a gallon my one hour commute to Front Royal in my truck is going to hurt. I don't sit in any traffic but an hour one way will suck.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 AM

38 posts, read 70,546 times
After thinking it over and crunching numbers, I have decided to decline this job offer. If I took this new job, over the course of the next three years I would get my step increases and make another $7k but I would be paying more out pocket for commuting expenses so the extra pay would zero out after I account for my expenses. For career move, I am looking to flee the DC area in another 4 to 5 years so I'm sure other opportunities will pop up....DoD govie jobs usually are robust enough to withstand any sort of major cutback or feel the effects of a recession. Bigfoot also makes a good point, I don't think we will see the days of cheap gas anymore.

Last edited by mptesta; 02-24-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptesta View Post
After thinking it over and crunching numbers, I have decided to decline this job offer. If I took this new job, over the course of the next three years I would get my step increases and make another $7k but I would be paying more out pocket for commuting expenses so the extra pay would zero out after I account for my expenses. For career move, I am looking to flee the DC area in another 4 to 5 years so I'm sure other opportunities will pop up....DoD govie jobs usually are robust enough to withstand any sort of major cutback or feel the effects of a recession. Bigfoot also makes a good point, I don't think we will see the days of cheap gas anymore.
I think this was a very good call. My husband is mulling a job change with the goal of leaving this area, but I think we need to stay here a few more years and have him pad his resume a little more with needed skills. I don't know if he would consider going back down to Quantico if the gov't folks he worked with asked him back. With gas prices set to soar, I like him just where he is in Ashburn. I'm planning to cut my "in office" days, as well, to save on gas. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it definitely adds up over time.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
FFX Cty Pkway to 123, then 95. Maybe Dulles is a more direct shot somehow?
This is the best route. Especially early in the morning. It just depends on the time you leave in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia