Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJH7809 View Post
I didn't really think of it as being "encamped" next to the train. I just thought having access to transportation would be a bonus for traveling period. Is there something about living next to the train that I should know about???

The train is pretty darn close to many of the homes on the front side of Belmont Bay. My mom did not buy a townhouse there in the early days of the Belmont Bay for that very reason, although we loved the townhome. I'm sure there are noise ordnances but I can't help but think that it has GOT to be noticeable at night.

The Belmont Bay train station is predominantly for commuter purposes and if you wanted to do an real train traveling, you'd most likely have to go up to Lorton to catch the Autotrain, or Union Station for an good routes up into New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
IMO the VRE (Rail service in Virginia - VRE) isn't a flexible method for commuting in this area. It's ok, but not as good as slugging or the PRTC bus lines. It's also a bit more expensive than Metro, although there aren't any Metro stops in PWC. For future planning, it might be good to consider a neighborhood close to commuter lots in the event you ever have to work in DC.

I just thought of another area near a train station. There is a development at the end of Rippon Boulevard that is near the Rippon VRE stop. There's also a smaller community off Featherstone road on Marseille Lane. That one is right off Occoquan Bay and I believe they have a community dock. It's a little too close to the tracks in my opinion though.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The Belmont Bay train station is predominantly for commuter purposes and if you wanted to do an real train traveling, you'd most likely have to go up to Lorton to catch the Autotrain, or Union Station for an good routes up into New York.
Amtrak also stops at the Belmont Bay Station. I've taken Amtrak to Penn Station NY before from Belmont station.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 32,863 times
Default let me clarify....

Okay

Maybe I need to clarify. The reason we were really interested in the Belmont Bay area has nothing to do with the train. It was the quality of homes, community feel and clean grounds. I guess we were thinking having close access to the train would be a bonus. It sounds like to me (from the replys) that living next to the train unless necessary for travel is a bit silly???

My husband will be commuting south, by car. We thought being nice to the interstate would shorten his commute as well.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Amtrak also stops at the Belmont Bay Station. I've taken Amtrak to Penn Station NY before from Belmont station.
Yes, they do but I have found the routes to be quite limited. For instance, my daughter had to go to New Jersey over the summer and there were no places to catch that particular train except Union Station. I just wanted to point out that it's not a full service train station.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Okay

Maybe I need to clarify. The reason we were really interested in the Belmont Bay area has nothing to do with the train. It was the quality of homes, community feel and clean grounds. I guess we were thinking having close access to the train would be a bonus. It sounds like to me (from the replys) that living next to the train unless necessary for travel is a bit silly???

My husband will be commuting south, by car. We thought being nice to the interstate would shorten his commute as well.

You know, don't get me wrong here, Belmont Bay is a nice community. It, however, has never lived up to what they had hoped for the area. We home shopped there right when the development broke ground and there were LOTS of big plans for the community that have never really materialized or they did not form in such a way as advertised. It was supposed to be a bustling mixed residential/corporate/commercial community that kind of fizzled a bit.

While it has GREAT access to I-95, it is situated in one of the worst "blight" areas of Woodbridge off of Rt. 1. Granted, you are only "driving through" these areas and they are not dangerous but they have a very industrial and beat up look to them that's downright depressing. Of course, the powers that be have been promising for years to fix that area up but it never happens. I think that has really put a damper on that community as sales go.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, they do but I have found the routes to be quite limited. For instance, my daughter had to go to New Jersey over the summer and there were no places to catch that particular train except Union Station. I just wanted to point out that it's not a full service train station.
I've had to do that before too, and they allowed me to catch the Amtrak to Union Station and then depart from there. No extra cost. This was probably 5 years ago though so I'd call to make sure they still allow you to do that.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I've had to do that before too, and they allowed me to catch the Amtrak to Union Station and then depart from there. No extra cost. This was probably 5 years ago though so I'd call to make sure they still allow you to do that.
That's good to know. We were trying to book online and there just seemed to be no flexability in the online system to book from Woodbridge to Union Station and then on to New Jersey.

It was a real PAIN too because her train left Union Station at 5:30 on a Friday evening. That was a real pleasure getting her there.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM

16 posts, read 32,863 times
So not to change the entire direction of this thread....but what about Fredericksburg? If comparing it to Woodbridge are we talking apples to oranges????

Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So not to change the entire direction of this thread....but what about Fredericksburg? If comparing it to Woodbridge are we talking apples to oranges????
Fredericksburg is nice. Plenty to do, lots of "new" stuff. New homes, new shopping centers and LOTS of people. Housing should be cheaper there. The big drawback is that instead of having a reverse commute, you would be in the thick of traffic getting from Fredericksburg to Quantico and, depending on the time you work, that traffic is very heavy.

It's always a good idea to aim for a reverse commute. Not many people get that lucky. But if you are willing to have some commute aggravation and spend a bit more time on the road, you will probably get more house in Fredericksburg.

Edited to add: You could try Stafford. It's one exit south of Quantico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia