Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbva View Post
I am buying a new home in Alex and it will not be complete until end of Oct. This is a Jumbo Loan 725,000 so if I want the house I now need to come up with 90,000+ big difference from 35,000!! Any suggestions??
The problem here is that you are upside down on your current home and now you're trying to FHA a $700K loan? If you don't have the cash, you have to no options to have both homes. This isn't 2006 anymore.

You may find a lender willing to do 5% down, but that will be tough given your low cash reserves and being upside down on the other home. Options that would work include buying a different home that is already done and can be closed on before Sept (probably the best option if you want to move), staying in your current home, having a cheaper home built, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Have you asked the builder if they would be willing to take a second mortgage for the difference? I don't know if FHA will allow that, you'd have to ask your loan officer.

Why are you moving? If for no other reason than to get a more expensive home I would stay where you are. You are taking on a massive debt in addtion to the mortgage you already have, which is more than your home is worth. To take on additional debt in today's economy is scary.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
We can't sell, we can't count rental income because we do not have 30% equity and now the government is decreasing the max loan limit on FHA. So only option seems to be 10% down conventional which I qualify for but which I do not have the cash for!!
Multiply this by thousands of other potential homebuyers. Basically the government is screwing over the economy via the real estate market. They either want a double dip recession or they're bound and determined to transform us into a nation of renters.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM

262 posts, read 840,924 times
I would say it is actually the big banks that caused the whole mess.

They have lots of properties marked at much higher prices than they are worth, so they hord cash instead of lend because they know they might be insolvent otherwise (e. g. hypotetically saying mortgage they own is still worth 0.70 cents on dollar when real buyers of those mortgages only pay 0.20 on the dollar).

Plus bank lobbyists were probably the same ones who kept watering down mortgage modification programs to point they never had a chance to succeed.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 74,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
At this point, you have a total of four posts. All four posts are in regards to real estate questions and each post says to contact you via DM if someone wants more information or assistance...

Methinks you are using C-D to get leads.
I was first introduced to CD forums when I was relocating a few years ago. I started posting on here because I saw people asking for mortgage advice and getting really innaccurate advice from people clearly not in the industry that had almost no idea what they were talking about!

I try to just answer questions on the boards and not be "salesy". That is why I offer people to DM me if they want more information. My hope is to get good information to people asking questions but I also enjoy earning money for myself and my family! So if I gain a client by offering free advice(and to be honest I have, more than one), that wouldn't be the worst thing!

I hope I'm not abusing any privileges here. I'm certainly not trying to be sneaky about the point of my posts. Like any good service professional, I enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise and am always seeking to increase my client base.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I am buying a new home in Alex and it will not be complete until end of Oct. Qualifying is not an issue but up front cash is. I was going to use FHA 3.5% while I rent out my present home since it is upside down . The FHA loan needs to close by end of Sept or the max loan rate drops so I am screwed! This is a Jumbo Loan 725,000 so if I want the house I now need to come up with 90,000+ big difference from 35,000!! Any suggestions??

We can't sell, we can't count rental income because we do not have 30% equity and now the government is decreasing the max loan limit on FHA. So only option seems to be 10% down conventional which I qualify for but which I do not have the cash for!!

Any options other than cancel my new home and run out and but a resale before max loan limit drops and makes single family homes in many Virginia areas out of reach.

I haven't seen the HUD press release on this yet but most changes to FHA loans affect the FHA case number date, not the closing date. So as long as your application date is prior to the change, you should be ok. So you need to make sure your lender orders an FHA case # prior to the loan limit reduction if that is how HUD handles this change (which is likely).

As always, DM me if you need any further info!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB22 View Post
I was first introduced to CD forums when I was relocating a few years ago. I started posting on here because I saw people asking for mortgage advice and getting really innaccurate advice from people clearly not in the industry that had almost no idea what they were talking about!
Wow! THAT actually happens around here??? For my money, sound advice is sound advice, the more of it there is the better, and it doesn't really matter where it comes from. If it's sound and actionable, we all win.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
If you can't afford it, why don't you rent?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM

I think in the OP it is mentioned that they CAN afford the payments easily, they just don't have access to their capital, which is tied up in a house they can't sell. What is the difference between making a mortgage payment and rent payment and two mortgage payments? As long as you can afford both payments doesn't it make sense to build equity someplace?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Wow! THAT actually happens around here??? For my money, sound advice is sound advice, the more of it there is the better, and it doesn't really matter where it comes from. If it's sound and actionable, we all win.

Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia