Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I've been with friends to the local pound and I have not seen a dog that I would put with children. No way.
Talk to the pound and let them know your needs. When a dog comes in that fits that in their opinion, they will be happy to call you about it. But, I would recommend a shelter, like the ASPCA that has a foster program. The fosters know their animals very well and would be best qualified to help you find a dog. There are many dogs surrendered each and every day...so just because you didn't find one on that day doesn't mean you won't in the future. Our first dog is a pound puppy and we had a much different dog in mind when we met her. But, she seemed to pick us out and it has been a match made in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Go to the Dogs thread and one of the top threads explains this. If you want a mix, save one from the pound. They are more deserving and loving. Most of all there are no shortages of them which is more reason not to breed.
I'd love to know why a mix or dog from the pound is "more deserving and loving" that a dog from a breeder. Why is a dog less deserving of love because it was bred? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Since you seem to be a bit unsure and due to your household will be changing quite a bit, would you be willing to volunteer with rescue to try things out first? You could help a dog and then look at being the forever home if things work out. If not, then you wouldn't have to worry about the guilt of giving up a dog that wasn't right for you home at this time? Before we moved to NOVA, we worked with a rescue and we would allow for 24-48 hour sleepovers just to see how things would go. There was so much benefit with it.

The SPCA has a vounteer foster program:

SPCA of Northern Virginia: Be A Foster Parent

No breeder breeds poodle mixes...that would be a backyard breeder and not someone you would ever want to adopt from. But, talk to the SPCA and they can assist you with finding a dog that would fit your family. Plus, you would help an animal that deserves a second chance that would return the favor as a forever friend for your son.

Good Luck!
Best idea, ever.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'd love to know why a mix or dog from the pound is "more deserving and loving" that a dog from a breeder. Why is a dog less deserving of love because it was bred? That makes absolutely zero sense.
I'm not sure they meant it quite like that, all animals are deserving - people who have this stance (including me) come from the point of view that there are so many animals already that need rescuing, why get it from a breeder?

We realize that sometimes not everybody wants a rescue or a pound dog, but in my opinion, those are the best dogs - they tend to be healthier and can be fantastic dogs.

Last edited by katyusha25; 03-22-2011 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: re-phrase

Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Those who support rescue dogs obviously feel strongly about it, for reasons one can readily understand.

In this case, however, the OP came with a specific request - in the context of her spouse's deployment, no less - and then got mostly instructions, rather than advice, in return. Not C-D at its best, in my opinion.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I'm not sure they meant it quite like that, all animals are deserving - people who have this stance (including me) come from the point of view that there are so many animals already that need rescuing, why get it from a breeder?

We realize that sometimes not everybody wants a rescue or a pound dog, but in my opinion, those are the best dogs - they tend to be healthier and can be fantastic dogs.
Well I hate to say it, but that's a pretty airtight quote that doesn't leave much room for interpretation. So it's either poorly worded, or that person is awfully judgmental of dogs who had no control over the circumstances of their birth. Kind of jerky, if you ask me.

For the record, I have two dogs, one from a breeder, one from the pound. They are both equally loving dogs, and both equally deserving of our families affections. Though I will admit the purebred (pug) certainly has been the more expensive dog in regards to health. The pound mix (rottie/hound) is a tank that has swallowed/eaten things that should kill her or at least make her uncomfortable and she shows no remorse or side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Those who support rescue dogs obviously feel strongly about it, for reasons one can readily understand.

In this case, however, the OP came with a specific request - in the context of her spouse's deployment, no less - and then got mostly instructions, rather than advice, in return. Not C-D at its best, in my opinion.
I completely agree with the second part of this. The OP didn't ask to be told what to do, she asked for help about something specific.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
I want to be helpful here but your post is clearly saying to me that you aren't necessarily ready for a dog.

One- your husband is being deployed and you'll deal with the aftermath of whether he will want the dog or not once he returns. Worse case, the dog must be given up. That's not good. What would you do if he said he didn't want to keep the dog?

Two- Not sure why you believe a dog will fill the void of your child's dads absence. Again, without knowing the age of your child... your child may grow weary once the dog "needs" you more. Plus I don't believe you can sub in a dog for a dad, even as an attention distractor.

Three- You have allergies... as someone who grew up with a poodle mix, yes they shed less, but they still shed. You should be careful to know what the poodle is mixed with. And even then you can develop allergies over time.

Sorry to be the Debby Downer in all of this... I just read your post and was immediately thinking, she should not have a dog right now.

I do wholeheartedly support a decision to foster a dog or volunteer as others have mentioned to explore if this is really the right decision for you and your family.

Quote:
My husband is deploying in 2 days--we found out Sat. While I am somewhat used to this now, my kids are not. I have a special needs child and I want to get a dog while my husband is deployed. (I'll deal with the aftermath of making this unilateral decision later I guess). I am most worried about the spec. needs child not doing well with his dad's absence and want to be proactive with helping this child specifically.

I am kinda sold on one of the poodle mixes as I have allergies and couldn't tolerate a shedding hairy dog. l I'm looking to see if someone knows a breeder that breeds poodle mixes? I would prefer a dog around 20lbs and am open to any mix with a poodle.

I really appreciate any help or direction you can give me. Thanks!!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
I've been with friends to the local pound and I have not seen a dog that I would put with children. No way.
My dog came from the Alexandria shelter and is the poster child of an ideal dog for a child. She lets my friends' kids crawl all over her without so much as growling. When she's had enough, she'll just walk away. Her favorite game is chase, she loves pets, and she's gentle when she needs to be. I sometimes wish I had a kid for her to play with, lol.

Not all shelter dogs are going to be great with kids, but the majority of shelters and nearly ALL rescue groups categorize their dogs. When we went to get Lucy she was marked as good with kids, okay with cats, and needing tons of exercise. Pretty darn accurate.

Quote:
I'm not looking to get a dog in two days--I was merely relaying information on the timing of the deployment. Also, didn't mention a puppy. I'm fine with an older dog.
Great! (The request for a breeder made me assume puppy--since 99% of the time that's what people get from breeders)

If you're looking for an older dog, I'd highly, highly suggest looking in rescue. As other people have said, through rescue you can get a dog that's been in a foster home with children, so you'll know that it's kid-savvy. The dog won't be stressed in a shelter situation, so it will be a more accurate assessment of it's house temperament (many dogs shut down or amp up in shelters).

A dog who is 3ish years old will be past the majority of the puppy crazies, will likely be house trained, will have an established temperament, will be at its full size, etc. Anything older than 3 will come with all the same perks, and you'll be able to identify structural deficiencies too (displaysia generally appears by 4 years old).

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder is a great site where you can search for poodle mixes in your area. They mark the dogs as good with kids or not there, so you can weed out inappropriate ones quickly. Here are some local mixes that look like they might fit what you're looking for:

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Poodle | Washington, DC | Mandy
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Poodle | Chantilly, VA | Wallie
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Poodle | Chantilly, VA | Lisa
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Poodle | Mount Airy, MD | Marty

You'll need to fill out an application with the rescue group or shelter, and they'll probably want written confirmation from your husband that he's on board too (they don't want the dog coming back when he returns, obviously!) Then you'll be able to meet the dog in person, make sure it doesn't bother your allergies, make sure it gets along with your child, etc.

Depending on the age and disabilities of your child, signing up for a training class together can be a GREAT way for the kid to bond with the dog and learn some neat skills in the process. We've had several junior handlers come through our program, and they learn patience, gentleness, confidence, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My dog came from the Alexandria shelter and is the poster child of an ideal dog for a child. She lets my friends' kids crawl all over her without so much as growling. When she's had enough, she'll just walk away. Her favorite game is chase, she loves pets, and she's gentle when she needs to be. I sometimes wish I had a kid for her to play with, lol.
When I read this at first, I thought it read "her favorite game is chess."

Not sure exactly what Freudian slip was taking place there!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
When I read this at first, I thought it read "her favorite game is chess."

Not sure exactly what Freudian slip was taking place there!
Hah! She's more of a checkers girl Lack of thumbs makes chess difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia