Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,793 times

Advertisements

What I would like see more in NoVA restaurant scene, instead of a "perfect French bistro," is actually Straits Chinese food, often served in places like Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. For me it's the perfect fusion food.

There is one rundown Indonesian restaurant somewhere in NoVA and a couple of places that pretend to be Malaysian, but there is not one I found that is authentically Straits Chinese. And I still dream of the amazing Rijsttafel dinners I had in Indonesia (esp. Bali) before the radical Islamic terrorists bombed beaches and hotels and ruined it for me (and many others, of course).

I still salivate when I think of the duck steamed in banana leaf and grilled fish on Jimbaran Bay. Or that perfect mee goreng I had in a Singaporean food stall (rated A in cleanliness by the super efficient Singapore government).

I would like a taste of that in NoVA, instead of more Thai and Indian joints, let alone French bistros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
There is one rundown Indonesian restaurant somewhere in NoVA
Perhaps you should actually know of what you're speaking before you label someone's business so derogatorily. I've eaten several times at this perfectly nice restaurant run by a very friendly Indonesian family. It's Satay Sarinah and it's in the Van Dorn Station center in Alexandria. You ought to try it sometime as you might actually enjoy it. However you won't get "straits Chinese" there. The satay is quite good as are many of the other traditional Indonesian dishes they serve. Here's the website:

Asian Indonesian Food Restaurant Northern VA-Washington DC Metro Area-Carry out Food-Dine in, Hookah Bar Maryland, MD - Asian Indonesian Food Restaurant Northern VA-Washington DC Metro Area-Carry out Food-Dine in Restaurant Family Restaurant Maryland

As much as you decry chains, you should applaud this independent that's brought a unique cuisine to Northern Virginia. It's certainly not "rundown".

Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps you should actually know of what you're speaking before you label someone's business so derogatorily. I've eaten several times at this perfectly nice restaurant run by a very friendly Indonesian family. It's Satay Sarinah and it's in the Van Dorn Station center in Alexandria. You ought to try it sometime as you might actually enjoy it. However you won't get "straits Chinese" there. The satay is quite good as are many of the other traditional Indonesian dishes they serve. Here's the website:

Asian Indonesian Food Restaurant Northern VA-Washington DC Metro Area-Carry out Food-Dine in, Hookah Bar Maryland, MD - Asian Indonesian Food Restaurant Northern VA-Washington DC Metro Area-Carry out Food-Dine in Restaurant Family Restaurant Maryland

As much as you decry chains, you should applaud this independent that's brought a unique cuisine to Northern Virginia. It's certainly not "rundown".
Er, first of all, being rundown and making bad food are two different things. I don't recall where I wrote that the restaurant in question made bad food. But I do think it is rundown in the sense that the decor is dated and it is located in a rundown-looking strip mall.

None of this changes my earlier call for more Straits Chinese AND Indonesian restaurants in the area.

And, yes, I do applaud more mom-and-pop joints, rundown or no (my favorite Sichuan Chinese is almost dirty-looking, but that doesn't stop me from 1) eating there and 2) wishing for more Sichuan restaurants in the area).

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
No need to have a "food fight" this evening. Bon appetit!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,910 times
What we really need is a good Papuan Japanese snack bar.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM

26 posts, read 53,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Good point. Let's get back to discussing French bistros, the lack thereof, or perhaps even the NOVA culinary scene in general.
That would be awesome!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I am not familiar with the genre. Please do elaborate.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Shrunken head sushi?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,078 times
IndiaLimaDelta

I'm sorry if I'm sucking all the fun out of the topic by belaboring the obvious. I think that other board members are mocking terminally ethnically conscious political correctness overload.

Papua New Guinea has been traditionally famous for cannibalism. These days, it has cuisine tending to the local standard Food Papua New Guinea - All you need to have a great time away

Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
IndiaLimaDelta

I'm sorry if I'm sucking all the fun out of the topic by belaboring the obvious. I think that other board members are mocking terminally ethnically conscious political correctness overload.

Papua New Guinea has been traditionally famous for cannibalism. These days, it has cuisine tending to the local standard Food Papua New Guinea - All you need to have a great time away
Yes, yes, yes. I am well aware of the headhunting practices of SE Asia and Micronesia (I have a close friend who trekked through Kalimantan -- Indonesian Borneo -- and the higlands of New Guinea alone for months). My initital reaction was to post a picture of an IJN straggler ("like this?"), but I decided to play it earnest instead, borrowing a line from Prince Humperdinck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia