Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

373 posts, read 870,449 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Haymarket (not in the town, but in the zip code) and I was surprised when going to McDonald's or Papa John's in the town of Haymarket, they charge 9% tax (5% state and 4% town). I was wondering if this was common for Virginia towns/cities? It is right off the interstate and is a very small town, so I am assuming most of the people who pay this tax do not live in the town. This just doesn't seem right to me (I know when you go to another state you pay their sales taxes, but for a super small town it doesn't seem right). Is there any way of getting a refund for the taxes paid? Am I the only one irked by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I live in Town of Vienna and there is a special restaurant and lodging tax, too. It doesn't really bother me as it's convenient to eat here. If I ate somewhere else, I'd need to pay gas to drive there so it works out the same in the end. Plus the tax goes into improving the town.

If I were really hurting for money, it would probably bother me more, but then again I shouldn't be eating out if I were hurting for money.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 PM

373 posts, read 870,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I live in Town of Vienna and there is a special restaurant and lodging tax, too. It doesn't really bother me as it's convenient to eat here. If I ate somewhere else, I'd need to pay gas to drive there so it works out the same in the end. Plus the tax goes into improving the town.

If I were really hurting for money, it would probably bother me more, but then again I shouldn't be eating out if I were hurting for money.

I'm not hurting for money. I think it is more the principle. You also live in the town, so you would be paying it one way or another. If I lived in the town, I wouldn't mind paying the taxes for the town. Just seems kind of wrong to me to have people not from the town paying a bunch of their taxes. Although I do know places do this all the time with high rental car and hotel taxes.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I agree that I am indirectly receiving the benefit of the Town tax. But whenever i visit somewhere outside my town/county/state, I am paying tax that doesn't benefit me. I pay a very high NJ lodging tax when I vacation in Cape May. I pay high sales tax when I shop in New York. There's just really nothing I can do about it, especially if I don't live there as I have no vote in that jurisdiction. So there is no sense in getting upset over it.

When I pay an outrageous tax or parking meter fee or something I just look at it as if the money is going to keeping the place clean, in good repair for future visitors. If they didn't collect it, then it probably wouldn't be as nice as it is, and I wouldn't want to visit either.

Just my thoughts, and I wasn't implying that you are hurting for money - I have no idea who you are. :-)

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
...Just seems kind of wrong to me to have people not from the town paying a bunch of their taxes. Although I do know places do this all the time with high rental car and hotel taxes.

What? That's the First Commandment of Local Politics....Thou shalt refrain from taxing folks that will see your name on a ballot!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM

564 posts, read 1,494,129 times
It can make sense from a certain perspective. This isn't the same case as in Haymarket, but when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ there was what one might consider a very high tax on things like hotel rooms and fast food. The town was a major jumping off point for people to go to places like Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Snowbowl (Arizona's major skiing destination), etc. So they had a ton of people coming through the town which means roads need to be big and well-maintained enough to handle all the traffic, more police needed, more trash to clean up, things of that nature. So the only way to create a big enough tax base out of all those non-residents was to tax things that passers-through purchase such as fast food.

Maybe Haymarket figures they are somehow spending more on outsiders than they should, and want a way to get them. That or it's just another convenient way for them to rip you off!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
The state constitution and legilature have provided only limited means by which county and town governments can raise money via taxation. Taxes on "transient occupants" are one, and they allow taxation of those who would otherwise visit or pass through the area and partake of the many public services and amenities we offer without paying a penny for any of them. Hotels and meals taxes are principally county-level taxes, but counties often charge a reduced rate within a town limits so that the town itself can make a buck as well. Fairfax County, for instance, charges a flat 4% meals and lodging tax, but in Vienna and Herndon, it charges just 2%. Vienna has its own 3% tax, while Herndon is at 6% for hotels and 1.5% for meals.

Not sure what the Haymarket situation is, but basically, if you live in a place, you are going to pay the costs of supporting and operating it via some mix of taxes and fees. There is nobody else here to pick up the tab. Towns and counties do not have rich uncles or trust funds somewhere to rely on. Tourist taxes pass at least some of those costs on to those who would otherwise benefit from services without paying for them. If there were no such taxes, YOU would be paying their share instead.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
I recently moved to Haymarket (not in the town, but in the zip code) and I was surprised when going to McDonald's or Papa John's in the town of Haymarket, they charge 9% tax (5% state and 4% town). I was wondering if this was common for Virginia towns/cities? It is right off the interstate and is a very small town, so I am assuming most of the people who pay this tax do not live in the town. This just doesn't seem right to me (I know when you go to another state you pay their sales taxes, but for a super small town it doesn't seem right). Is there any way of getting a refund for the taxes paid? Am I the only one irked by this?
VA is completely out of it's tree when it comes to taxes. I'm originally from MA which somehow has always had the nickname Taxachusetts and I can tell you it's doesn't even REMOTELY compare to VA, constantly changing from place to place, personal property tax, extra taxes on hotels and crap. It's nuts. At least in MA it's consistent and you weren't taxed on food or clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia