Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,423 times

Advertisements

So our neighbor about 3 houses down plays extremely loud music 3-4 times per week. Not only that, but the bass is SO loud that it vibrates things in my own home, like a glass of water on the coffee table or the toothbrushes in the holder.

I called the police on them in the winter due to amazingly loud bass, and it was 9 at night. I saw an officer go out to the house and it became quiet. But then it would start up again the next week, and I didn't want to call because it was in the early evening hours, not late at night.

Recently it's been getting worse, probably 3 times a week and more. I called Prince William police last week, just to report another annoying noise. I knew it was outside of the ordinance's guidelines, it was 5pm on a Friday and my parents came to visit and it was unbelievably loud - we couldn't even enjoy our dinner. So they came out, and it was quiet. The lady I spoke to at the police station said that if it keeps happening, to just call back - she knew it was an annoyance that should be stopped.

So today my husband is very sick, he has some sort of stomach flu. He's been trying to rest all day but guess what? Yeah, they've been playing that bass AGAIN, since 3pm and it's now 6! I called the cops again (man I must seem like a jerk neighbor) and they just went out to the house, and I saw the cops just leave, while the noise is still blaring away.

Does anyone know why the police officers would just leave while they are permitted to keep blasting it? My neighbor just asked if I called the cops, and I said I did, and she said "Good cause I was going to do it!" It's impossible to tune it out, even with earplugs. As I sit here, it's so loud that it's vibrating my windows.

If it makes a difference, these people just moved in last November, the house is rented out to them so they don't own the property.

But I'm just confused as to why the cops would just let them play as loud as they were before. I'd even be fine with the volume turned down (not completely off), but not even that happened.

Sorry for the long windedness, I'm at my wits end with these knuckleheads! Sometimes they start playing that music at 9am on the weekends!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
I have no suggestions, but I feel your pain. If you know the owner, you could contact him/her and update them on their tenants.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
I would definatly try to locate the owner, you can find their name in public records and then seek our their contact information.Let them know what is going on and if they are responsible landlords/owners they will talk to them (not that it will do good), I am not sure but in some leases it says something about loud music, maybe they are breaking their lease and this could be used against them by the owner. I would be peed off as well. Sorry to hear you are going through this. Situations like this put a bad name on responsible renters like myself.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,423 times
Thanks guys. I was looking on Google to see if I could find who owns the property but couldn't find much. There was someone who lived in the house last year who kept it very nice. So far this year, the current renters have driven over the (once) beautiful lawn a gazillion times, making it dirty and muddy with huge tire tracks. It got so bad that the owner of the property came out and forced them to re-grass the areas they ruined. Hopefully it was the owner, heh.

Teebyrd- where would I find their name? Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I cannot recall the noise ordinance law for PWC but I believe it is from 10PM to 6AM. Not that this gives the right for someone to be obnoxious at other times. It's just an easier law to enforce when it's between these hours. You, as a citizen, have a right to go to the magistrates and swear out a warrant (actually a summons) for this homeowner or tenant. You will obviously need a name/dob and basic descriptors which an officer can get for you. Next time you call ask the officer to meet you first then provide you with the info when he or she is done. This of course means going to court which you will need to do regardless if you obtain the summons or the officer does.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Have you searched the Prince William County real estate tax records?

LandRover 2.0

You enter an address and it should display the owner(s) of the property along with other info (I say "should" because I haven't tested it with an address, but I'm assuming it works similar to Ffx Co, Alexandria, and Arlington web databases that I have used).

Once you have the name, you still have to find the owner's address, and you may have to use a pay service (plenty on the web). First try http://zabasearch.com for free, though, it's pretty good.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Have you searched the Prince William County real estate tax records?

LandRover 2.0

You enter an address and it should display the owner(s) of the property along with other info (I say "should" because I haven't tested it with an address, but I'm assuming it works similar to Ffx Co, Alexandria, and Arlington web databases that I have used).

Once you have the name, you still have to find the owner's address, and you may have to use a pay service (plenty on the web). First try People Search by ZabaSearch - Honestly Free People Search for free, though, it's pretty good.
If it's like Arl.'s records, the owner's address will be shown on the RE record, which is listed separate from the address of the property.

Also, OP, why not call the police and ask them to explain what the laws are re: noise?

In some counties, noise is considered a private nuisance and you may be able to find info on the web then talk to the owner about this. Have you searched the PW website to see if they have any relevant ordinances or guidelines?

FWIW, I don't think you're being a PITA at all--I would also be upset.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,485 times
Just curious, did you ever try knocking on their door yourself and asking them to stop? Not that I think it would do a darn bit of good since they don't seem to care to listen to the police. Just wondering what their reaction was. If it was rattling things in my house from that far away, you can bet I would be pounding on their door in a hurry! Sounds awful!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 PM

247 posts, read 687,890 times
I would encourage the neighbors to call the police too, not just you. That way it's not just you being a "pain" neighbor, but they'll see that others are bothered too. And, if they keep getting calls one after the other from different neighbors, the police might get aggravated enough from making so many trips that they'll do something about it or issue a citation.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Get all the other neighbors to play Perry Como, Burl Ives, or polka music really loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia