Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 18,182 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have accepted a new job offer and am relocating to Fairfax, VA from College Park, MD. Initially, I thought I would be able to make the daily commute but realize being stuck on the Beltway for 2hours everyday isn't going to be too appealing. So I need a nearby area (Dunn-Loring Metro stop is literally 2 blocks away from workplace so Metro/Commuting are both viable options), targeted towards young professional/grad student crowd (mid20s+), my ceiling is 1300ish rent/month.

Ideally, I would like to stay near the Orange Line. So any advice on places to hit/avoid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 PM

19 posts, read 35,981 times
For your case, you may want to look at East Falls Church. Its only a couple metro stops away from work and downtown Falls Church has the State Theater (club) along with a few bars.

If you want to go even further toward the city anywhere from Courthouse to Ballston metro could work. Lot of hip night spots.

Above all else, I'd recommend renting part of a house if you are in your 20's. Not only is it almost usually under 1,000 utilities included it also provides a way of meeting some new people.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 AM

7 posts, read 18,182 times
Thanks for the advice. Couple followups. Is there a reverse commute from College Park/Greenbelt to Fairfax? Also, is relying on the metro a feasible alternative (mind you this is from the start of the Green line (Greenbelt) to pretty much the end of the Orange Line (Dunn-Loring). Google maps and the metro estimator indicate an hour to possibly hour and half commutes so I was wondering if this was accurate, especially during the morning/afternoon rush hours.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
You really don't want to stay in college park. There's no way to make it a reverse commute, and that's a long metro ride. I would move to somewhere in Arlington (or falls church) on the orange line, grab some roommates somehow, and have a nice commute to work with time for a social life after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia