Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,452 times

Advertisements

She is damn lucky she isn't teaching my kids.
And this after that other FCPS teacher assigned his class all the low points in the Republican candidates' campaigns.

I'm so glad I'm not here permanently.

"A Virginia elementary school teacher told her students that “Republicans are stupid” and “they don’t care about anyone but wealthy people and businesses.”
Kristin Martin said this to her 6th grade class as Republican voters were filing into the halls of Powell Elementary School in Fairfax County to vote on Super Tuesday."
Fairfax County School System | Republicans Are Stupid | The Daily Caller

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,617 times
Hahahaha, oh whatever, I'm sure a lot worse occurs in other parts of America. How did she "tell her students" by the way? In passing? Were the kids present while she was discussing on a side note?

Sweet website btw, didnt realize subject menu Guns and Ammo was a necessary of every website discussing unbiased news. I should probably add a section like that to my own website. Does City Data have plans on doing this also?

hahaha Whatever GOP'r deal with it, Ive had plenty of teachers in my highschool back when this state was firmly red tell me how the liberal media distorts history, give me a 1 month lesson the reasons why Reaganomics while discussing political science through the 1980s and how its improving our economy to date, etc

I'd like to hear an unbiased website tell me all of the details because this could be out of context.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Oh for God's sake. Google search her name and you'll see many other news articles.

And if you're looking for an "unbiased" news source, you aren't going to find one in what are probably your favorites, MSNBC, CNN, ABCNews.com, and so on,
because they and the rest of the MSM (except Fox News, upon which you surely look down your nose)
are overwhelmingly left.
As a reminder, "left" is not synonymous with "unbiased," "real news," "good news," or however you view it.

And if you would just read the article, it answers your questions.
No, it was not just in passing, and she also told the kids that Republicans only care about money and Democrats do more for schools.

Again, she is damn lucky she does not teach my children.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,458,661 times
I'd be more inclined to believe this story if it appeared in a non-right wing source.

And, did you see this paragraph in the story you linked, toward the bottom of the article?

"John Torre, a spokesman for the Fairfax County School System, said that the school board did look into the matter but was unable to reach a conclusion.

“The district has looked into the alleged statements and could not reach any conclusive findings,” Torre told TheDC in an email. “There was an informal discussion about politics between the teacher and students that was not a part of any classroom lesson. There are differing accounts of what may or may not have been said by the participants.” "

Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,458,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Oh for God's sake. Google search her name and you'll see many other news articles.

And if you're looking for an "unbiased" news source, you aren't going to find one in what are probably your favorites, MSNBC, CNN, ABCNews.com, and so on,
because they and the rest of the MSM (except Fox News, upon which you surely look down your nose)
are overwhelmingly left.
As a reminder, "left" is not synonymous with "unbiased," "real news," "good news," or however you view it.

And if you would just read the article, it answers your questions.
No, it was not just in passing, and she also told the kids that Republicans only care about money and Democrats do more for schools.

Again, she is damn lucky she does not teach my children.
There are many other "news articles", but none of them are credible. Rather than get upset about what MAY have happened, per your own source (which other than the investigation pgh., seems to rely exclusively on the account of one student, despite the fact that the student alleges that there were multiple others present), why not insist on facts?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
I found it ironic she is teaching at Colin Powell Elementary School -- a rather well-known Republican.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,790 times
Just curious, OP, as to whether you think this would have been OK if the kids were somewhat older. Not sure I would have wanted an elementary school teacher indoctrinating my kids about which political party is best, but I'd be about as concerned with my kids learning about their teachers' political leanings when they were older as I'd be with their learning whether their teachers rooted for Notre Dame, LSU or the Hokies.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
There are many other "news articles", but none of them are credible. Rather than get upset about what MAY have happened, per your own source (which other than the investigation pgh., seems to rely exclusively on the account of one student, despite the fact that the student alleges that there were multiple others present), why not insist on facts?
Although you may not count it as "news," this is also on Fox:
Teacher Tells 6th Graders 'Republicans are Stupid' - Liberal Schools - Fox Nation

And just wait around for other outlets to pick it up. Not MSNBC, of course,
they might burst into flames.
Not Anderson, of course.

Also, if it didn't actually happen, why did Kristin Martin "apologize"?
Virginia teacher apologizes after calling Republicans 'stupid' - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Just curious, OP, as to whether you think this would have been OK if the kids were somewhat older. Not sure I would have wanted an elementary school teacher indoctrinating my kids about which political party is best, but I'd be about as concerned with my kids learning about their teachers' political leanings when they were older as I'd be with their learning whether their teachers rooted for Notre Dame, LSU or the Hokies.
No, it is not okay regardless of their age, regardless of their leanings.

It was not just "learning about their teachers' political leanings," it was a clear judgement on the one party. Using the word "stupid," no less. So much for no name-calling!

Also, it is against district policy:
District Regulation 4426.2 says: Employees shall not poll their pupils to determine their political beliefs or how their parents are voting on any issue and shall not attempt to indoctrinate pupils with personal political and social philosophy

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I found it ironic she is teaching at Colin Powell Elementary School -- a rather well-known Republican.
moderate R who supported obama last election. It does make me curious what he thinks of the most recent batch of GOP hopefuls.

Beside the point, but I like Colin Powell, and I'm a bleeding heart liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia