Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times

Advertisements

One of my tenants called last night...NO A/C!

So, my guy went over today and the condenser coil was bad but too old to get a replacement, so he replaced the entire outside thingie....condenser and compressor. The A-coil inside was fine so it stayed. New Trane 3.5 ton condenser unit...$1600 installed.

Per my guy's advice, I always go for the low to mid-range efficiencies....the super high efficiency units are TOO complicated. When (not if!) those fancy circuit boards burn up....you will spend everything you saved on electricity and then some getting the damned thing fixed. Plus the super systems require a compatible A-coil, so today's fix would have cost another $800 to a grand.

As it is, the 13 SEER unit I had installed is far, far more efficient than the 20+ year old unit that it replaced. Tenant will notice a significantly lower electric bill.

edit to add: don't let your dog pee on the condenser! That's what we think happened to the old coil...pee is corrosive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,494,129 times
Anyone have any info on the breakout between the AC unit/material cost, markup, and labor cost?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
For people asking about 2 systems, the Realtors call this "two zone" cooling and heating.
Yeah, and it's something to talk with an HVAC guy about if you're doing remodeling or otherwise have an opportunity to make changes. We have reorganized into four heating zones and two cooling zones, and it ends up making a noticeable difference cost- and comfort-wise.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Thanks, this is all helpful.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't use an established company. My husband is an electrician on commercial jobs and he knows many other tradesman so a commercial HVAC person who does residential work on the side bought and installed the system. It comes with a 10 year warranty. If anything happens with it, I can get him back or I can call a local company.

My furnace is gas.
Thanks for the feedback. I was surprised it was so cheap.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was surprised it was so cheap.
Actually, I didn't find it to be that cheap. I think I got a *fair* deal; i.e., I didn't get ripped off and I didn't get over on anyone. Based on my co-worker's quote she just got and some of the other things posted here, I think $5,000 seems fairly standard for an HVAC replacement. Of course, the attic work did jack up my price a bit but it still seems sort of comparable.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,732 times
My condenser in the outside unit for my 2nd floor AC just went out last week. I got a quote of $3000 to replace the outside unit only using freon like the existing system. He said that installing the attic unit later would run about $1800. These components have a 5 year warranty. The option I went with was to replace the outside and attic units and switch to R22 for $5300. This system has a 10 year warranty. I have used this same HVAC company for years and they are very good, honest, and reliable. When the condenser wires burned up a month ago and then again 2 weeks later, they wouldn't charge me for the second visit to make a second repair even though the condenser was bad and the problem was not due to their work. Not sure where you live, but the company I use is Dodson Heating and Air Conditioning in Purcellville. They are a family business in operation for many years.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nholdman View Post
My condenser in the outside unit for my 2nd floor AC just went out last week. I got a quote of $3000 to replace the outside unit only using freon like the existing system. He said that installing the attic unit later would run about $1800. These components have a 5 year warranty. The option I went with was to replace the outside and attic units and switch to R22 for $5300....

I hope that's a typo....R22 is being phased out after 40+ years as the refrigerant of choice.

The new stuff is R410A. It is sold under various trade names. Trane calls it "Puron", other makers call it other names, but it's all R410A.

Look on the condenser cabinet, near the refrigerant ports....there should be a sticker that says which gas in in the unit.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 5,732 times
You are right - it is a typo - getting rid of R22. Getting R410A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia