Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I don't trust the advocates of transit-oriented development (TOD) to just keep it near the Metro. They routinely state that one advantage of rail transit is that developers are more willing to build TOD near it! But the transit and TOD advocates are pushing for more development like this even near bus lines..
TOD near frequent bus service can make lots of sense, see Shirlington for example.

Quote:
For example, they're building a new high-rise on Lee Highway at N. Nelson, nowhere near a Metro station. (I'm sure there are other examples, but that's the only one I can think of right off the bat.).
Id be willing to bet its a developer doing that, but I guess you mean the arlington county plannning folks who approved it. I would have to see the discussion of the zoning issues involved.

Quote:
And as the one link I posted shows, they eye places like Lee Heights Shops and Westover with a gleam in their eye for someday making those more "vibrant"--by which they mean more populated and less car-friendly. You can call it mere "discussion," but discussions by people in power turn into plans, which turn into projects. (Eden Center has tons of people and vibrancy, but it has tons of parking--which I'm sure galls the TOD people to no end.).
The GGW folks dont really seem to be in power, AFAICT. I didnt read their post, and Im not sure I want to go into a whole discussion of Westover, and in particular of one GGW post on it.

I consider myself a TOD supporter, and I am not at all galled that parking lots exist. I want a diversity of development options. I do hope that even low density places be as walkable as possible. Eden Center is in an area where making pedestrian access easier wouldnt be a bad idea, though it will still need a lot of parking.

Quote:
I can walk to Westover, but I'm glad we don't live closer to it, because I fear that someday the greedy developers are going to partner with the County to tear down the small-town-like business strip that's there (beer garden, hardware store, independent coffee shops, restaurants, etc.) and replace it a Clarendon-esque condo tower and chain stores. I'm sure they'll go after the places near the Metro stations first, but when those are all developed, they'll next turn to the bus lines. I have no doubt about this..
It depends on the economics I suspect. In general TOD folks LIKE small townish development. The economics of the DC area are pretty overwhelming though.

Quote:
Let me add that I love to walk. I walk our dog every day. (And I thru-hiked the AT many years ago.) But I do not want to live near tall buildings packed with 20-somethings who want to stay out till 1AM. There are plenty of places for them already.

Those are not the only people who want to live in TOD. There are empty nesters. There are 30 somethings (including folks with kids). There are even 20 somethings who DONT stay out till 1AM.

There are lots of places for them, but a perusal of the RE market indicates not enough to match the demand. Maybe the units currently in pipeline will change that. I dont know.

Quote:
Something else that's noteworthy: I used to work for a large association that advocated for (among other things) TOD. And almost every one of the top people lived in a single-family home. The president lives in a McMansion on a cul-de-sac in Fairfax County. The main lobbyist lives not far from him. The other lobbyists mostly lived in suburbia. The main TOD expert lives in a spacious SFH by himself. I think this is very telling and illustrates my point that most adults with families prefer single-family homes that are not directly adjacent to businesses.
Its widely known and stated by TOD advocates that the MAJORITY of housing demand remains for "autocentric" suburbs. That was indicated in the study with which this thread began. The problem (and opportunity) is that the minority which want TOD is LARGER than the amount of housing supplied for them.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-23-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM

as for lee highway and nelson, thats REALLY close in to Rosslyn one of the regions major employment centers, a draw quite apart from metro. Its adjacent to older midrise multifamily. I guess it has a lot of bus service, and its about 1.5 miles on foot from I think a couple of metro stations. And pretty close to I66. Seems like a pretty reasonable zoning decision for a spot so close to the heart of the metro area.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-23-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM

"I'm sure they'll go after the places near the Metro stations first, but when those are all developed, they'll next turn to the bus lines. I have no doubt about this.. "

Can they PLEASE turn to Annandale then

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM

as for the "discussion of Westover"

"Unlike Columbia Pike, however, officials have thus far put little planning effort into articulating a cohesive future vision for the entirety of this inner-ring corridor. They should, as it is bound to attract developer attention as the market recovers. Cherrydale has gotten some attention with new pedestrian streetlights and improved sidewalks, but the rest of the corridor mostly languishes. Bus service, while running at decent 12–15 minute headways, isn't up to "rail-replacement" frequencies and makes too many stops. Notably, the McPherson Square 3Y service, which only runs in rush periods, in the peak direction, is usually packed. Sidewalks are still narrow, though there is growing pedestrian traffic.
The road would likely be able to accommodate all the current car traffic with one fewer lane in each direction. That would accommodate non-rush curb parking. But the route is a primary federal transportation corridor, under the jurisdiction of VDOT, and so ultimately very difficult to change. Plus, the corridor runs through 12—that's right, twelve—very active and very affluent civic associations (http://www.commuterpage.com/art/villages/leehwy_com.htm - broken link). That the road is still called Lee Highway might also be biasing future development. The most exciting future possibility for the corridor is the proposed roundabout at the Lee/Glebe intersection. That would create a pocket park, focal point, and attractive vista for new, walkable development at this spot. "

They are talking about development happening in Cherrydale, increasing bus service, improving sidewalks, and recognizing growing pedestrian traffic. They are interesting in traffic calming, and they are also excited about a roundabout at Glebe Road. basically they are saying that development is coming anyway, with EXISTING zoning, and that improvements should made to improve quality of life - because you can get density and make a good community, or you can get density and get worse results, because of not dealing with the infrastructure, etc.

Im not sure whats in there thats so objectionable.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Lee Highway in N. Arlington could definitely use a facelift...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia