Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I won't address the remarks of the "holier than thou" crowd. If your house has a garage, I'd recommend parking it in there, so your exposure is limited. I know with Alexandria City if you like in a condo private parking lot or a driveway they won't do much. If you are parked out in the street, diff story.
I recall a post, some time ago, where someone parked in a private lot but still got busted. Don't assume it can't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan2010 View Post
No, i will keep the dc insurance for now. I know the rates might be higher for dc, but it cancels out when you have to pay vehicle property tax in VA and pay almost $300 to park in garages in dc since I work in dc (compare to if i keep the dc license , i have free street parking and no property tax.) I'm just a little concerned about VA DMV going after me because they kept emphasing the fact that you have to change your registration/license within 60 days of moving to VA, but i'm wondering how would they find out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
A neighbor might report you.
I would. I don't like paying personal property taxes any more than anyone else, but tax cheats who avoid paying while the rest of us do don't get any sympathy from me. I pay my fair (or unfair) share, you should pay yours.

So where exactly are you moving to? Address, please...

Old 09-07-2011, 05:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I recall a post, some time ago, where someone parked in a private lot but still got busted. Don't assume it can't happen.
I can only speak for what I saw in Alexandria. Don't know what goes on elsewhere.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,750 times
Quote:
I won't address the remarks of the "holier than thou" crowd. .
Since when is doing the right thing and what is required by law considered "Holier than thou?"

If so, that is a sad commentary for the state of American thinking.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 317,910 times
It won't be the Virginia DMV that will go after you. If you live in certain jurisdictions, they will go after you. I moved from Fairfax County to Loudoun County and I swear the police were told by the Revenue office to go and ticket me because I forgot to buy one of their stickers. I've heard Arlington County is bad like that too. I'm outta Loudoun soon!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

429 posts, read 954,421 times
I moved back to Virginia last summer and registered my car again right away because, having lived in NoVa for 35 years, I know they're pretty serious about it. I wouldn't take a chance.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM

147 posts, read 255,284 times
All I can say is be prepared to be caught. I remember reading about how this is a game in some sections of Virginia. People - usually old people with a lot of time on their hands - were turning in their neighbors who weren't getting their tags/insurance in VA. (they loved getting the ones hiding their second cars in the garage too)

I don't know how VA stacks up against Maryland but I have a family member who did the same thing in MD. she Lived in Maryland, but kept her VA tags.
One day she came out and her car had a ticket and no tags!
The authorities had taken them.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
I can only speak for what I saw in Alexandria. Don't know what goes on elsewhere.
Well, the post I'm recalling was about Alexandria. Maybe, if I get time, I can search for it.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I do not like this idea of reporting (I call it snitching) on your neighbors over a couple of hundred dollars in property tax. You don't really know if that neighbor has a legit reason for not having VA tags.

Okay scenario: My mother moves back to VA with legit registration. I come out to visit with my car from Louisville which has KY plates. A nosy neighbor (like they have nothing better to do) reports me to Fairfax County. And Ffx comes out and tickets me.

That neighbor doesn't know that:

A. I have a job in Louisville and a valid lease in Louisville and my address says Louisville.
B. I have no proof that I RESIDE in VA.
C. I have a valid DOD sticker on my car so I could be active-duty military which is exempt.

This getting into others business is dangerous stuff. People here are acting like their neighbors are dealing drugs and bring gunfire into their neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:20 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
Back to the OP's initial comment: you have enough money to buy a house in Virginia, but not to pay the car tax? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia