Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 11,207 times

Advertisements

As a lovely holiday present I was pulled over by Virginia's finest and issued several citations. This was in Northern VA near DC. I am considered a new VA resident with a new clean license so these are all technically first offenses. I was cited for speeding 75 in a 55 on I-95 (which is the standard speed really), and the cop gave me a speeding charge instead of VA's stupid Reckless Driving charge they give everyone who goes 20 over the limit or 80mph+. I was also cited for dark window tints, my radar detector, and a camouflage license plate cover. I could prepay all of these online, which would be admitting guilt, and avoid going to court, and they all would result in fines and the speeding one would probably be a points on my license. But I've been lucky to beat a few speeding tickets in other states recently so I was hoping I could beat this one too and the other charges. Anyone have any advice on these charges? Know any good traffic lawyers?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Standard speed? I don't think so. While there are plenty of people who think 95 is there personal speedway there are plenty of people who don't drive that fast where it's only 55. While I don't like to see officers stack on charges like this you did deserve everyone. You can't enter VA without seeing the signs showing Radar Detectors are illegal. The tinted windows are a safety issue for LEO's and while a warning should have sufficed the officer gave you a valid ticket.
You could always go to court and speak to the prosecutor and I'm fairly confident he or she will work out a deal. I'd remove the tint and license plate cover and take a picture to show this. Get rid of the detector. This is what I would do.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Pay the fine...

If you go to Court, they will charge you the fine and Court Costs, which will really sock it to you!

Sure, you may be able to tell the Judge that you changed it all out, (bring the pictures), then throw yourself on the liniency of the Court, and he may drop one or two charges, but, your going to pay Court Cost regardless... (especially for that Radar Device...a NO NO all over that State).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
As a lovely holiday present I was pulled over by Virginia's finest and issued several citations. This was in Northern VA near DC. I am considered a new VA resident with a new clean license so these are all technically first offenses. I was cited for speeding 75 in a 55 on I-95 (which is the standard speed really), and the cop gave me a speeding charge instead of VA's stupid Reckless Driving charge they give everyone who goes 20 over the limit or 80mph+. I was also cited for dark window tints, my radar detector, and a camouflage license plate cover. I could prepay all of these online, which would be admitting guilt, and avoid going to court, and they all would result in fines and the speeding one would probably be a points on my license. But I've been lucky to beat a few speeding tickets in other states recently so I was hoping I could beat this one too and the other charges. Anyone have any advice on these charges? Know any good traffic lawyers?
A lawyer who can help you beat some or all of those charges - with no guarantee - will cost you at least 700, probably more. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to pay the fines? You can get the points back with a driving course if you really need to.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Yes there are many many people that go 75mph on 95. The problem is that it was a 55 zone and also that your tint and plate made you a target. I'd remove or at least go with lighter tint to help get those charges dropped and also in the future to make yourself less of a cop magnet.

If you go to court you can likely get the tint/plate charges dropped and in exchange for pleading guilty to a regular speeding ticket (probably 69 in a 55). These deals are pretty standard for Virginia. If you want everything gone and no points you'll need a lawyer, but that will run you $500+.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 11,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
If you go to court you can likely get the tint/plate charges dropped and in exchange for pleading guilty to a regular speeding ticket (probably 69 in a 55). These deals are pretty standard for Virginia.
Boyd888, what do I say or what argument do I present to get the speeding ticket reduced to 69 in a 55? I hear some people can get the speeding ticket dropped completely and instead plead guilty to "improper use of equipment" or something. I assume that I must have a compelling case for this and not everyone can just simply "ask" for a reduced ticket. How do I do this? Do I have to try to negotiate with the prosecutor myself, if so, when and where?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Why do people have those plate covers anyway? I never saw them before until I moved to Northern VA a few years ago. When ever I see someone with one, I always assume that they plan to "hit and run" and don't want witnesses to be able to identify them by the plate.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I don't know if I would risk going to court...maybe if it was just the speeding ticket I might.

But if I were a judge, the radar detector and plate cover would make me think that you intend to regularly break the law...and I'd throw the book at you. And believe it or not, you can get jail time on that speeding rap...it hardly ever happens....but **** off the wrong judge and you never know...

Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
they must have not had a K-9 available.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
I would suggest to stop breaking the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia