Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
Boyd888, what do I say or what argument do I present to get the speeding ticket reduced to 69 in a 55?
The purpose of traffic court is to get the "minor" offenders through as fast as possible. If a deal can be made before going to the judge it saves a TON of time, and that's why by just showing up with a clean record you almost always get a deal. You see if everyone went to court with their ticket the system would fall apart, but most people just mail it in. It's just how the system works.

Improper equipment is more along something that a lawyer would be able to get, as the lawyers know the prosecutors/judges and spending for a lawyer will often get you a better deal, but certainly not a guarantee.

That will be impossible for you since you had a radar detector and a covered plate. Maybe ask for traffic school (don't take it before court). If you want more information read the last twenty pages or so of the reckless driving thread; it's bound to be on the first few pages of the forum.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I would suggest to stop breaking the law
Irrelevant to the OP
I would suggest pleading not guilty and seeing where it goes. If you can afford one, a local attorney would know the system of how things work better than you (especially given that you are a new resident.) I will give a warning that VA is one of the most aggressive states against speeding that I know of just for future warning. Also, as far as I am aware of (don't quote me on this though,
this is the case in PA) as long as your car had tinted windows in a state where it is legal to do so (i.e., California, Florida) then they can't ticket you for that offense. I would ask an attorney about that one though because VA may very well be different

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Irrelevant to the OP
I would suggest pleading not guilty and seeing where it goes. If you can afford one, a local attorney would know the system of how things work better than you (especially given that you are a new resident.) I will give a warning that VA is one of the most aggressive states against speeding that I know of just for future warning. Also, as far as I am aware of (don't quote me on this though,
this is the case in PA) as long as your car had tinted windows in a state where it is legal to do so (i.e., California, Florida) then they can't ticket you for that offense. I would ask an attorney about that one though because VA may very well be different
So much wrong info on here. Pleading not guilty is certainly the right of the OP but it likely will not end well. Unless he can prove the officer lied about everything or the radar wasn't calibrated correctly he is likely to walk out with convictions on ALL charges. The best advice he's been given so far is either hire a lawyer or go in and ask for a deal. Secondly. You are so wrong on the tinted window issue. Once the OP became a VA resident the tint window law has to be followed.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
How would the OP's recent history with tickets in other states affect this? Would the court be aware of it? Would it matter?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 11,209 times
Thank you all for your replies. I may just go ahead and get rid of the dark tints (sucks because it looks so damn cool!)...but only on my front side windows since I drive a coupe and the cops don't seem to care about the rear windows at all. Maybe if I remove the tints and bring in proof I can get that ticket thrown out? Bigfoot424 is right, now that I'm a VA resident I have to abide by stupid VA laws.
And maybe I can just plead "no contest" and pay the fines for the radar detector and license plate cover (I figure I don't have much of a case there). The speeding ticket is what I would like to get reduced. Improper equipment charge would be great. That's the same deal a traffic lawyer got me on my last speeding ticket in another state. Anyone know the best way to get my speeding ticket reduced to Improper Equipment Use by myself or do I have to get a traffic lawyer for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
How would the OP's recent history with tickets in other states affect this? Would the court be aware of it? Would it matter?
This is the same thing I've always wonders. Do driving tickets from other states follow you when you become a resident and get a new license in another state?

Actually, I've beaten the tickets in my previous state so even though I was given prior citations, I didn't have any points on my prior license. When I check my VA license status online I clearly see it has 0 points. I'm not sure if states see how many times you were cited or how many times you were convicted in your driving records. I will say that about 8 years ago when driving through VA (I had an out of state license) I got a reckless driving by speed misdemeanor that resulted in a fat fine. I'm not sure if this is still on record or counts but like I said earlier, my new VA license has 0 points on it.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,707 times
So you had a radar detector and you still got caught speeding!
If you get a traffic lawyer the best they usually do is get your fines reduced, maybe withhold the points, it depends on who your Judge is and your Lawyer is as well. I will say you won't get off scott free and the Lawyer is close to $500.00, if he's worth anything. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM

373 posts, read 870,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
They are pretty much useless. I used to live in MD and when I was 17, I was using a radar detector and there was a speed trap in front of me. I got pulled over and the thing never went off. Then the officer was talking to me about it and another officer used the radar on another vehicle approaching and thats when my radar detector decided to work. If there were any stores nearby, it would beep constantly. Possibly they have gotten better, but if they are anything like they were, they are a waste of money.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 11,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
The radar detector went off a few times and each time I hit my breaks and slowed down, and then would speed back up moments later after the radar signal faded. This happened a few times during my drive only to find out that it was the cop who was trying to tag me. When I got pulled over, he told me that when a person keep hitting their breaks each time he points the radar at them, that is an indication that the vehicle likely has a radar detector in it, and it gives the cops Probable Cause to search the car if they want. I thought fast and just admitted to having one tucked away (he would have search the car anyway apparently since he had probable cause), and then I played dumb like I didn't know it was illegal since I'm new to VA (the only state where radar detectors are illegal, so stupid). The cop did eventually radar me at the right time for speeding, he was one persistent little ..., and then proceeded to poke around for the additional charges.

The cop also tried to give me a DUI because he smelled alcohol, but I passed the sobriety test easily because I wasn't drunk. This jerk was going for the jackpot. I have a bright colored sports car so I guess I have a target on my bumper.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-28-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: profanity, even self-edited, is inappropriate for the forums

Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
I have a bright colored sports car so I guess I have a target on my bumper.
I doubt it. More likely it was the 75 in a 55 that got you noticed.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:35 PM

187 posts, read 443,014 times
The officer wasn't being a jerk, he was just doing his job. You were speeding, so he had probable cause to stop you, search you, and the like.

Welcome to VA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia