Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 57,096 times

Advertisements

We just moved here...

We live in W. Springfield and this is the first year my daughter can have a birthday party (she'll be 6). I'd love to have it outdoors and try to avoid having it at my house. We tried reserving Burke Lake shelter but $350 to reserve it is too much for me.

Ideally i'd like to keep it close so parents dont have to drive too far. I also thought about having it on Fort Belvoir. If you lived in W. Springfield, would driving to Belvoir be too far for you?

Any ideas for a newbie?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Fort Belvoir is only 20 minutes so I don't think its too far. My question would be if the parents are non-military how are they going to get on post to Fort Belvoir? Sounds like a lot of trouble. Is Burke Lake the only option? There's other parks.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 111,454 times
There are areas of Burke Lake that you can reserve for about $100. Picnic areas and such - they don't have a shelter so you're out of luck if it rains, but I do believe they give you a refund for inclement weather.

Also - you can watch their calendar and if the shelter is not reserved, it's first come first serve. Might be a little risky for planning a birthday party though.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
There are picnic places at just about every park in the area. Lake Accotink has covered areas too--have you checked out their prices?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Fort Belvoir is only 20 minutes so I don't think its too far. My question would be if the parents are non-military how are they going to get on post to Fort Belvoir? Sounds like a lot of trouble. Is Burke Lake the only option? There's other parks.

Anyone can go on Base.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Anyone can go on Base.
Really? Wow. I'm used to Fort Benning GA where you have to register and get a visitors pass to go on post.

Well then Fort Belvoir is fine.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Do you belong to a pool? We are in W.Springfield and the past few years we have just reserved (at no extra cost) our pool's pavilion.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Last year I used J Art Studio for my daughter's birthday and it was great. I think it was about $300, but that included an art activity and clean up. I just needed to provide the cake. It's an indoor party though so I am not sure if you are interested. Plus, it's in Annandale, so it's a little bit of a drive (I live in W. Springfield too--it's not like it's around the corner).

One warning though. My daughter has a summer birthday and I found it very hard to get people to come to her party in the summer--seems like everyone is traveling. I am not sure if it's this area, my luck, or what. Last year, for the first time, I held her birthday early, in June before school got out and it's the first time she had a decent showing of kids (as in 12 showed up as opposed to just 1 the year before and 2 the year before that).

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
One warning though. My daughter has a summer birthday and I found it very hard to get people to come to her party in the summer--seems like everyone is traveling. I am not sure if it's this area, my luck, or what. Last year, for the first time, I held her birthday early, in June before school got out and it's the first time she had a decent showing of kids (as in 12 showed up as opposed to just 1 the year before and 2 the year before that).
My son has a July birthday and we have to beg, plead, and cajole people to come. My other daughter has one in November and I wish we'd get more "no's" No one goes away her birthday weekend in November because everyone goes away over Thanksgiving or the 2-day break for Fairfax County.

I grew up in Philly and have an August birthday, and it was the same way there. I once had 3 people come to my party, and I cried.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 PM

20 posts, read 57,096 times
Wow! Thank you all for the replies. I think I may look into the neighborhood pool. We're thinking about signing up. I looked around at other park birthday packages but I think I want to aim more for the let the kids run around type of thing instead of a structured type. Plus the cut off seemed to be 10 kids...trying to get RSVPs is a nightmare. I may try again next year for the parks.

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia