Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I'm hoping to move my family down to Lake Ridge soon and I was curious, given how close Dale City is to parts like County Center and Westridge, has there been any noticable carry over of crime from Dale City over to Lake Ridge?
I've been living in this area for 17 years. I think of it as ONE big area--Woodbridge. Most people who live here don't think of it as that segregated. For instance when I leave my house in Woodbridge, drive through Dale City, and get to my parents house in Lake Ridge, I don't think that I'm driving through separate areas. They are all blended together and just feel like different neighborhoods within Woodbridge. As far as I know, there seems to be no spillover. There are more like hot pockets of petty crime in various neighborhoods.

I will say that my parents, who live in Lake Ridge, have more petty crime occur in their neighborhood than I've ever had in mine (which is zero) but I believe this is because of the interconnected Lake Ridge neighborhoods and the fact that there's lots of bored teens on foot around there--always has been. They seem to enjoy getting into cars in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is a nice way of saying that there are Hispanics living in these houses, small houses, with very large families. Lots of people living in one house.
Okay, wasn't sure where they were going with that one.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
I've been living in this area for 17 years. I think of it as ONE big area--Woodbridge. Most people who live here don't think of it as that segregated. For instance when I leave my house in Woodbridge, drive through Dale City, and get to my parents house in Lake Ridge, I don't think that I'm driving through separate areas. They are all blended together and just feel like different neighborhoods within Woodbridge. As far as I know, there seems to be no spillover. There are more like hot pockets of petty crime in various neighborhoods.

I will say that my parents, who live in Lake Ridge, have more petty crime occur in their neighborhood than I've ever had in mine (which is zero) but I believe this is because of the interconnected Lake Ridge neighborhoods and the fact that there's lots of bored teens on foot around there--always has been. They seem to enjoy getting into cars in the middle of the night.
Interesting. I have kind of noticed this a little bit with reading the news. I noticed certain pockets of Lake Ridge seem to have it's issues. Just wasn't sure how that was affected by Dale City. Definitely noticed the closeness of all the area, it's strange because you could run across PW Pkwy and end up in one part to another.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I have kind of noticed this a little bit with reading the news. I noticed certain pockets of Lake Ridge seem to have it's issues. Just wasn't sure how that was affected by Dale City. Definitely noticed the closeness of all the area, it's strange because you could run across PW Pkwy and end up in one part to another.

It's really all just Woodbridge with three zip codes. There's 22191, which was the original Woodbridge, there's 22192, which encompasses the Lake Ridge portion, and then 22193 which is the Dale City portion. But you could address your mail to Woodbridge, VA for all three zip codes. Actually I think they've added some new zip codes recently.

Kind of reminds me of my family who lives in Waldorf. There is the Waldorf zip code and then the St. Charles zip code which is still Waldorf but the St. Charles zip code designates the planned community within Waldorf.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
I don't agree that the whole of Dale City is a problem. Technically, I live in Dale City although I am not in the "alphabet" neihborhoods, I am off Cardinal Drive over by Montclair. I walk often and I walk alone. I have not qualms about walking my dog around the block at night. My neighborhood is about as far from "minority and multi-generational" as you can get. And that just about 5 miles from the "H" and "K" neighborhoods.

While I agree that Stafford is nice, it's just not feasible for everyone who has to commute up north--heck--Woodbridge is too far. I'd be nuts to had another 15 miles to that trip. I think some nice places can be found that are safe and friendly without writing the whole of Woodbridge off.
Huge difference from Cardinal Dr VS Dale City along much of Dale Blvd.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to move my family down to Lake Ridge soon and I was curious, given how close Dale City is to parts like County Center and Westridge, has there been any noticable carry over of crime from Dale City over to Lake Ridge?

There are a few small neighborhoods in Lake Ridge that has some issues but overall nothing like Dale City. And I don't mean to imply that crime runs rampant in Dale City but there are much nicer/quieter areas in PWC.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Huge difference from Cardinal Dr VS Dale City along much of Dale Blvd.
Yes there is. But Cardinal, unbelievably, is considered "Dale City" so I like to try to clear up that all of Dale City isn't the same.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
There are a few small neighborhoods in Lake Ridge that has some issues but overall nothing like Dale City. And I don't mean to imply that crime runs rampant in Dale City but there are much nicer/quieter areas in PWC.
BigFoot--what's your take on this? Do you think it's totally economic? Let's face it--much of the housing that runs along Dale Blvd, especially in the worst areas, was built in the late 1960s, is very small, obviously getting very old. I mean, some of these homes are CHEAP. You see the same thing off Rt. 1 in Woodbridge. Older, very affordable housing but also just run down, full of renters, or what have become boarding homes. Some of the bad pockets in Lake Ridge also have the same attributes.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM

41 posts, read 74,612 times
yes, thank you ChristineVA for helping explain. i was attempting to give an honest opinion, but remain politically correct so i didn't offend anyone. and i am referring specifically to the 22193 area. i realize there are some nice streets around and wasn't trying to give a blanket statement for this whole region. the low cost of living here may outweigh what makes me uncomfortable to someone else, too.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelpenguin View Post
yes, thank you ChristineVA for helping explain. i was attempting to give an honest opinion, but remain politically correct so i didn't offend anyone. and i am referring specifically to the 22193 area. i realize there are some nice streets around and wasn't trying to give a blanket statement for this whole region. the low cost of living here may outweigh what makes me uncomfortable to someone else, too.
There are a couple of regular Dale City bashers here, but I've lived in 22193 for 31 years now. I think it's fine. Is there some crime? Sure, just like anywhere else, and a lot less than some places.

Lots of people look for brand-new homes, and there are some here ... along with houses built in the '60s, '70s, and so on. Lots of people look for easy commutes to the District, and if that's you, Dale City probably isn't even close to your best option (although my wife and I commuted to Capitol Hill for many, many years).

Lots of people (without admitting it) are looking for lily-white communities, and Dale City ain't that. The five families living closest to us - left, right, and across the street - are Pakistani, black, white, white, and Latino. They're all good people and great neighbors.

We originally moved here from Maryland when our second child was born and we simply couldn't find a place we liked AND could afford in MD. We rented for a number of years, and then bought our first house - a townhouse that was a hole in the ground when we bought it, and got to watch it being built. That was cool. And the house we've owned for the last 20 years was built in 1977. We really liked the floor plan, and the yard backs to woods.

My personal experience is that Dale City is affordable, it has plenty to offer (especially for young families), and has been exactly the same with regard to personal safety as every other place I've lived (in MA, NY, DC, and MD), and that is, very safe. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia