Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Okay, then just do it!
Haha listen buddy

I dont make 250k, first of all, I said I would be in a few years. Secondly, at that point I WILL petition for EVERYONE to pay for what they SHOULD pay for. Deal with it mk champ? You vote for your guy, I'll vote for mine. Either way, you make this sound like someone is proposing all of your money taken. We are talking about millionaires giving up hundreds.

Secondly, like I said, all of these hypotheticals and scenarios keep coming up with are in the VACUUM of the fact that they would have to be making far more than 250k if those are the cases. Putting away a ton of 401k? Taking on a dependent? Taking on that dependents medical expenses?

Perhaps the real problem with people is they dont know how to do their damn taxes. The scenario for a 250k salary is that you have no deductions, otherwise it would have to be higher, and based on what a lot of people are saying it would have to tens of thousands higher.

The current rates were provided as a short term solution for stimulus foolishly. They were always temporary. Tax cuts dont create jobs, all it does is rob the coffers.

Find me one case in which a company specifically said that the tax cut let them add X number of jobs at the time of the cuts, not now in the election cycle of political support. Go back and find one article saying that company 'a' is adding jobs because of the lower tax rate.

This country was built on a higher tax rate. This country was great during Clinton at a higher tax rate. This country will return some day to a higher tax rate so go ahead and deal with that or go ahead and leave. Thats the great thing about freedom, you are free to get the hell out if its so much better elsewhere. In fact if you make 250k you can likely fly first class. No one will miss you.

PS way to be a yankees fan in Virginia that's strike 2 and 3 as far as I'm concerned

Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Haha listen buddy

I dont make 250k, first of all, I said I would be in a few years.
So pro-rate your contribution to the Treasury, and increase it as your income goes up.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
PS way to be a yankees fan in Virginia that's strike 2 and 3 as far as I'm concerned
Bitter much ?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
This country was built on a higher tax rate. This country was great during Clinton at a higher tax rate. This country will return some day to a higher tax rate so go ahead and deal with that or go ahead and leave.
So go ahead and voluntarily pay a higher tax rate. No one's stopping you! Lead by example! You can brag about it here!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM

163 posts, read 314,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
So go ahead and voluntarily pay a higher tax rate. No one's stopping you! Lead by example! You can brag about it here!
You have it all wrong, that argument never works. They don't want to pay more because that would be unfair, they want "everyone" to pay more which means everyone else.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM

531 posts, read 1,429,386 times
Quote:

This country was built on a higher tax rate. This country was great during Clinton at a higher tax rate. This country will return some day to a higher tax rate so go ahead and deal with that or go ahead and leave. Thats the great thing about freedom, you are free to get the hell out if its so much better elsewhere. In fact if you make 250k you can likely fly first class. No one will miss you.
I have zero interest in politics. I also like Clinton. But I am amazed how someone can speak as if he owns this country and can ask fellow Americans with different opinions to leave the country.

By the same token, if you cannot stand the pathetically low tax rate in this country, you are free to get the hell out of it too. That's the beauty of freedom. May I suggest Belgium, where the income tax rate for 36300 euro is 50%. With the tax you contributed in this country, I doubt you will be missed more than those in the first class cabin.

By the way, first class tickets to faraway foreign cities often cost more than $25000. For a family of four, it will be more than $100,000. I don't know how many $250,000 HHI "rich" families can afford spending 40% of their annual gross income on foreign air travel. Oh, I forgot. Earlier you said that's because most people didn't know how to invest their money.

You said you would make 250k soon. In an earlier post you said with a 250k income one should easily afford a 2 million dollar home. Now it's the first class flight. Once you make all these happen, please come back and share your investment strategy and let us know how you manage to live a millionaire's life with a upper middle class salary.

Last edited by newnewsmama; 09-02-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
You have it all wrong, that argument never works. They don't want to pay more because that would be unfair, they want "everyone" to pay more which means everyone else.
Yea thats exactly what I just said. I'm upper middle class, about to be in the very group Comstock is talking about with 1 or 2 more regular pay raises, so THAT argument is a flat out lie. Maybe its that you don't understand how much I love this country, and that I would be willing to pay that money because I know if it werent for all that this country has done, built, set up, and continues to aspire that all I am holding is monopoly money anyways.

To NNM

First class tickets to Europe go for 2500 not 25000 to most major locations... dunno which airline you have been flying. I don't need to leave the country know why? Because the "tax cuts" in place right now that i am against are temporary. They were literally labeled temporary tax relief. Not permanent tax cuts. Get it? So as far as I am concerned that tax rate is fine, as soon as that expires.

Or in a world that actually works like the founding fathers wanted, the other side could concede part of this tax rate for the benefit of having part of it permanently instated and the democrats could concede that spending cuts back to 2007 levels are needed over the next 5 years (ie a 5 year reduction back to 8% less spending) so that this doesnt hit us all at once like a fiscal hammer destroying the recovery we have.

Anyone who is against compromise can go ahead and get the hell out though, I dont take that back

I also don't take back that if you have a family of 4 or 5 and have all the other expenses people brought up that they need to get a tax advisor because in reality you need to be making far more than 250k to be part of that bracket with all of that going on.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yea thats exactly what I just said. I'm upper middle class, I would be willing to pay that money because I know if it werent for all that this country has done, built, set up, and continues to aspire that all I am holding is monopoly money anyways.
You WOULD be willing, but aren't now, even though you're upper middle class? Nice talk ... where's the action?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,599 times
OK this thread is getting silly.

I don't agree with a fair amount of what TE has said, but can we drop the whole "then you should voluntarily give more to the government" line of attack? It's silly and does not prove hypocrisy.

Obviously those who think tax rates should go up believe that because they think it's in the best interest of the country - they're willing to take a bit of a personal hit for macro reasons. However, it's clearly easy to pay more in taxes when you're doing it along with everyone so that it has a tangible effect. Otherwise you're just personally sacrificing for no reason. Personal principle isn't enough if there's no actual change for our government. At least that's my reading of it.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

Obviously those who think tax rates should go up believe that because they think it's in the best interest of the country - they're willing to take a bit of a personal hit for macro reasons. However, it's clearly easy to pay more in taxes when you're doing it along with everyone so that it has a tangible effect. Otherwise you're just personally sacrificing for no reason. Personal principle isn't enough if there's no actual change for our government. At least that's my reading of it.
Every movement and new idea started with ONE person. If they had waited for an entire country to agree to further their personal beliefs, nothing ever would have happened. And most of the great movements involved a LOT of personal sacrifice from a few individuals at the very beginning. "Personal principle isn't enough if there is no actual change for our government" is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. You should stand for your own personal principles at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia