Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 29,661 times

Advertisements

Good evening, Folks!

I know this question has been posted a million times on here, but I am hoping there may be new/updated info on commuting from Leesburg, VA to DC. I am strongly considering a move to Leesburg. And although I hate the thought of such a commute, I am realizing that in the DMV, you will sacrifice something no matter where you live. I am open to and actually prefer public transportation of some sort (I know the Silver Line won't be around for years). Anyone in Citi-Data land make this commute daily? Any info on the commuter bus? I usually arrive to work by 7:30 am and get off at 5:00. I work walking distance to Union Station. I would also appreciate any feedback (opinions are welcome) on the Leesburg area in general. Any thoughts and info will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I don't make this commute - I live in Alexandria - but I once worked with a guy who took a commuter bus from Leesburg. Other than one 3-hour trip during icy/snowy conditions, which everyone had to deal with, he felt it was worth it for his family's lifestyle. Check out the schedules on the following link:

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Routes, Fares & Schedules

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
You could take the Marc train from Point of Rocks directly to Union station. It's comfortable, has a bathroom, you can eat and drink on it. I know people love the buses, but they also love the train. A Guide to Taking the MARC Train to Downtown D.C. from Western Loudoun County - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com Even when the silver line is finished it will be nowhere near Leesburg and it will cost you a fortune because you will first have to pay the Greenway fees, $11 round trip, then pay to park, estimated to be $10 a day, and then $15 for the round trip on metro, $36 a day. The metro will take you well over an hour one way, plus the drive time to Ashburn and the walk to the train. Buses and trains are much cheaper, and faster.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,796 times
My niece did the daily commute from Leesburg to the K st area for six months (internship). She rode the bus. It's doable. I recommend it over driving if your work schedule will accommodate.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 29,661 times
Thank you all for your insight. Globalburgh, did your niece say how long the bus ride took?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 AM

799 posts, read 1,289,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King05 View Post
Thank you all for your insight. Globalburgh, did your niece say how long the bus ride took?
1hr 20 minutes thanks to the stop at the Dulles Park 'n Ride. 90 minutes would be a safe estimate. You should check that up against the bus schedule.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM

367 posts, read 884,617 times
I personally would never do this commute, now I will say I have neighbors that do this commute ( I live in Leesburg). Honestly live closer to the beltway if you are going to work in DC, imagine had jaded you will become wasting 3 hours a day on the road.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 105,780 times
Everyone has their own preferences. Personally, I would never want to live close to or within the beltway. The constant traffic every day and all day would eventually drive me nuts. The fact that you are looking in the Leesburg area, you probably know what I'm talking about.
I've found it's more tolerable to live either IN the city or way out but close enough to the commuter train. I moved to Leesburg (Lucketts actually) last year and am less than 5 miles from the Marc train. The train ride to Union Station is long but it's smooth and very comfortable. Since you are working right by Union Station, I would definitely look into taking the commuter train and possibly looking a little further north of Leesburg in the Lucketts area.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 105,780 times
Forgot to add - from Point of Rocks Marc station to Union Station is about 65 minutes. A small price to pay IMO.
There used to be an express train that took you to/from Union Station in 53 minutes but they removed it a few months ago for some reason. It's possible they might bring it back..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia