Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 AM

82 posts, read 177,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Not everyone in the world is the same. Lots of people on this board bash longer commutes. Some people can't handle a long commute. Mine is about a little under an hour each way and it doesn't bother me. You basically need to know yourself.
Pretty much. Driving is not an issue for me and like I said, my commute is during non-peak hours and unless there is a bad wreck, I am not getting any traffic. I would rather drive an hour than sit on the metro for 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM

254 posts, read 789,990 times
Default Stephens City

Moved to FL a year ago and miss Winchester/ Stephens City area. We love it there so much we haven't sold our home yet and we're hoping we'd get to come back in a few yrs. Already bought another house in FL since we might be stuck here for a few yrs. though.

I understand what you mean abt the one hour commute, I did that for a couple of years, 66 then exit 44 to Manassas. One hr drive, back and forth, it is a long drive but it's a beautiful, straight drive!!! People in that area are just "different",,,down-to-earth, small-community feel. We actually know our neighbors as opposed to living in a rental house in FL for a yr, we just knew one neighbor.

Anyway, look at "Wakeland Manor" subdivision,,,they always have something going on in the community. They have a club house and they have activities for the kids/stay-at-home mom. School district is good as well

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

I have been looking in Wakeland Manor and in the new subdivision they have, we even visited with the new construction salesperson to see the possibility of buying a home new construction. We have just heard negative things about the school district in the area though.

I moved up here from Florida over a year ago and I can't ever see myself going back! (Except for vacation of course)

Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I'm also from Fla. although I've been in NOVA since 73. I would never move back there. I would miss the 4 seasons, mountains and fall colors. If i could get the job I want in Front Royal (FTE not contractor) I would move to the Winchester area tomorrow. I don't need schools anymore so that's not a concern.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM

I have visited Winchester plenty of times and there seems to be a lot to do there, but like I said, im not so sure about the schools and it seems that for a little extra cash, I can get the same in Warrenton and have better quality.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
You can't wrong with Warrenton. I believe I mentioned it in my first response. The only problem with Warrenton is the drive to I 66. Unless you live along 17 somewhere north of Warrenton. It is a nice area with plenty to do.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 AM

367 posts, read 884,347 times
Don't do it, it's not worth it.
Shopping is not the same by any means, while SC is growing it is no where near FFX.
I lived in SC for a number of years, schools where TERRIBLE. Def. look into the christain academy if you choose this route.
There is not always somethings going on in SC or the neighboring larger city of Winchester.
While you might get the cookie cutter SFH you want in FFX it's just not worth the change of culture.
While growing SC stil has the small town vibe and all that it brings to the table.
Years ago my family moved to SC while I was in school, huge culture shock.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
OP's budget won't get him/her a 4 bdr SFH in Purcellville or Hamilton. Lovetsville and Round Hill maybe, but still going to be hard.
Not likely in Round Hill. mid $300s yes, under $300K, not so much. Lovettsville will have more options, but it is pretty way out there, at least right now. The commute to Fairfax would not be enjoyable and there is currently no shopping in town, all over the border into MD or down in Purcellville.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm also from Fla. although I've been in NOVA since 73. I would never move back there. I would miss the 4 seasons, mountains and fall colors. If i could get the job I want in Front Royal (FTE not contractor) I would move to the Winchester area tomorrow. I don't need schools anymore so that's not a concern.
I am not from Fla. I have been in NOVA since 2011. If I am retired today, I will move to Fla tomorrow. I would like to enjoy the beach, the mild winter, and have Mickey&friends as my neighbors.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
OP's budget won't get him/her a 4 bdr SFH in Purcellville or Hamilton. Lovetsville and Round Hill maybe, but still going to be hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Not likely in Round Hill. mid $300s yes, under $300K, not so much. Lovettsville will have more options, but it is pretty way out there, at least right now. The commute to Fairfax would not be enjoyable and there is currently no shopping in town, all over the border into MD or down in Purcellville.
True, not an easy proposition. I usually give or take a few thousand for potential negotiation when given a budget number. I read it as a $300k price, not under $300k, my mistake; and, I agree, under $300k is going to limit options, yet for a good school system, it might be worth putting up with some negatives to live in Loudoun.

Marshall is another place that you might consider in Faquier, though I am not sure if there are many 4BRs at that price point. Definitely, you could find a 3BR, or perhaps a 3 that could be a 4 with renovation. Warrenton is a good suggestion, and if you do not mind being slightly further out, Amissville might not be a bad consideration, either. I remember someone that worked with a friend of mine in Fair Lakes who had a house in Amissville, built in the 90s, that was quite reasonable compared to Fairfax County prices. Without traffic, however, that's about an hour to Vienna.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia