Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

The news seems to be trying to make it seem worse than it is. I just saw a correspondent in Gaithersburg interview a couple. He asked them why they were out and said he was surprised to see them. It's not even windy yet. Heck, they just showed a reporter at the beach and it wasn't bad. The anchors were talking about how sand had been blown up onto the boardwalk. I know it's supposed to be very windy later, but we're talking about going out for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Please post pictures when you can, folks. I am nervous for our tenants (who are from CA and have only been through earthquakes before, but not a hurricane) and our home.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times

hurricanehorse - YouTube

Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Please post pictures when you can, folks. I am nervous for our tenants (who are from CA and have only been through earthquakes before, but not a hurricane) and our home.
I'm from California and been through numerous earthquakes and no hurricanes yet...still, it's not like there's that much to prepare for. Stock up on food and water and batteries, and make arrangements so you don't have to go out for 2-3 days. What else can you really do? Not sure how being through numerous hurricanes would make my preparations any different.

Just a light rain so far. Breezy, but not bad winds.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I would post the photos I got, but mostly it showed Tysons as a ghost town. No damage, no high winds. Some localized flooding but mostly from leaves blocking up storm drains. So if you live next to an inlet which is at a sump (ie both sides of the road come down to it) please try to clear away any obstructions from the inlet as these can become REALLY serious problems with multiple feet of standing water when obstructed.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM

560 posts, read 1,292,055 times
Sustained wind 22 mph at Dulles-

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Washington-Dulles International Airport

26 mph at National-

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Washington DC, Reagan National Airport

Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Post offices are open and will be all day according to our local postmaster. .

Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM

414 posts, read 907,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Drove around to take some pictures here in Tysons. So far, Ive seen small thunderstorms that were more dangerous than current conditions. I still think applying the serious threat to the eastern shore, to somehow be an issue here in town is fear mongering. Low lying areas might flood... ok... when I was a kid those areas flooded all the time from snowmelts every other winter.

Key word CURRENT conditions. Those that think that the 40,50,60MPH winds are going to be confined to the eastern shore are mistaken. It may not be bad now, but this storm is also several hundred miles away off the coast of VA Beach / NC. Wait until it gets close to land fall and after, and we will ALL likely see conditions go way down hill, and stay there for a prolonged period. Its exactly that type of complacency that leads to people getting hurt or killed.

Part of the OC pier is now gone (I heard / read its about 100 feet of it) and the storm is still not even passing OC MD yet. I don't think this is fear mongering, I think it is warranted. I have studied meteorology for most of my life, the computer models for this event are verifying so far. This is a very different situation than just a cat1 hurricane only, which would more than likely confine the more powerful affects to the bay and points east. The breadth of this storm is unprecedented. As I said, it is probable that the storm will even strengthen for a time after land fall due to the unique conditions at play in our atmosphere.

Hope everyone stays safe. If you must be out today, you will likely want to plan to wrap your day up as early as possible. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH flooding! Just don't do it. Find another way.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

414 posts, read 907,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post

OMG! That is HILARIOUS!!!! LMAO!!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Capitol Weather Gang had this link for a wind map, Wind Map. Very interesting. Apparently half the fishing pier at Ocean City is already gone, and it hasn't even come to shore yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia