Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,470 times

Advertisements

A woman with no prior criminal history is dead and we don't know all the facts right now so this needs to be investigated throughly to see if excessive force was used. We also need to find out if this could've been prevented so some poor soul that has been having life issues and is having a hard time dealing with them isn't killed in the future. There are definitely some learning points here, especially for the Loudoun Co Sheriffs Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
There are definitely some learning points here, especially for the Loudoun Co Sheriffs Department.
Or perhaps the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors (or equivalent) - time to get a real police force in place rather than a rural-history-derived Sherrif's Office.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is nobody else astounded by the fact that in 2013 the police have no way of incapacitating someone effectively without killing them?
I love cops, but I am definitely surprised how often they say, "we had no choice" when, in fact, they probably did have some choices. I don't know enough about this case to say though.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 10,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Good points. But a couple of observations. A clear plastic shield can easily carried in the trunk of the patrol car. And in a situation like this one a shield would seem to be a useful tool. Also, my experience is that pepper spray works pretty fast. I tried it out myself once. I sprayed a little on the wall of my shower then inhaled the fumes. Within two or three seconds I was tearing up and had difficulty breathing. I would think a good dose right in the face would be pretty effective. It is nasty stuff. And I wouldn't think that two officers would have much trouble getting the cuffs on this woman who from the pics I saw didn't appear to be very large. A small Asian woman. Anyway, I predict that when the dust settles this shooting will be determined to be justified, though I will remain unconvinced.

Again, as someone who has to put handcuffs on a person that doesn't want handcuffs placed on them, it's not as simple as you think. The fact that she was armed with an edged weapon just compounds that issue.

OC spray works very well on a passive individual. Not so much on someone amped up. There's been plenty of times where someone who is sprayed is still able to continue doing whatever shenanigans that got them sprayed in the first place. They won't start complaining until the adrenaline goes down and they're in cuffs.

Here's the problem with using any intermediary force options. SHE STILL HAS A DEADLY WEAPON IN HER HANDS.

Youtube 21 foot rule. Here's 1 example (
knife vs gun- 21 foot rule - YouTube).

Guns aren't magical like in the movies. People, especially those in an agitated state, can withstand multiple gunshots (since police are trained to stop the threat and not to kill, center mass does not equal head) and continue their actions. Sure they might die in the end, but they'll still have some fight left in them.

And when someone is advancing on you with a deadly weapon, there's not much time for reasoning. Even less with someone going through a mental issue.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Any killing by a cop or other agent of the state or local government should automatically go to a special grand jury to determine whether there is probable cause for prosecution. It should not be left up to agents of the government to determine that. This would include prosecution for lying or covering up what happened. I believe a grand jury can compel testimony with no fifth amendment impediments.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-01-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Apparently the incident was caught on video. Supposedly it's being reviewed and analysed. Hopefully we won't have to wait long before the public gets to see it too.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Apparently the incident was caught on video. Supposedly it's being reviewed and analysed. Hopefully we won't have to wait long before the public gets to see it too.
I can't wait. If costco bends over and lets the police confiscate and obfuscate the video, I will stop being a customer there. They have a great reputation as employee and customer advocates, and if they roll over on this, I will be extremely disappointed.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I can't wait. If costco bends over and lets the police confiscate and obfuscate the video, I will stop being a customer there. They have a great reputation as employee and customer advocates, and if they roll over on this, I will be extremely disappointed.

Costco probably has no choice about turning over the video. Why on earth would they resist turning it over anyway?

BTW, those free sample people are not Costco employees.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 10,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Any killing by a cop or other agent of the state or local government should automatically go to a special grand jury to determine whether there is probable cause for prosecution. It should not be left up to agents of the government to determine that. This would include prosecution for lying or covering up what happened. I believe a grand jury can compel testimony with no fifth amendment impediments.

Officer involved shootings typically do go before a grand jury....

Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I don't think there is much they can do if they are presented with a subpoena, unless they want more trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia