Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 AM

128 posts, read 158,590 times

Advertisements

I've searched the threads for the NOVA forum and was surprised to find relatively little on this topic.

I would like some suggestions for good places to hike (moderate to strenuous) in the NOVA area, or within 2 hours' drive. I'm well aware of the most popular attractions such as the Billy Goat trail near Great Falls, Old Rag, Catoctin Park, White Oak Canyon and the like, so I'm looking for some places which are a little more off the beaten path. For instance, the infamous (at least among hiking ranks) 'Roller Coaster' portion of the Appalachian Trail between Rt. 50 (Ashby Gap) and Rt 7 (Snickers Gap). George Washington National Forest near I-81, west of Shenandoah also has some good, challenging trails.

Any others worth mentioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
The AT in Maryland is the easiest portion of the whole Trail, and the portion in PA is among the hardest, being composed almost entirely of large rocks. You could drive up to Pen-Mar State Park and start out from there in either direction.

There really isn't anything close by that isn't paved bike trails.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 AM

9,780 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Not off the beaten path, but have you checked out Prince William Forest?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,396 times
The president of the potomac sierra club wrote a book called 60 Hikers within 60 Miles. I read an earlier version when I was a teen decades ago.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM

47 posts, read 77,999 times
I love the Bull Run Occoquan trail - PATC -- Bull Run Occocquan Trail

Hiking Upward and Local Hikes are great sites for finding hikes. I love how Hiking Upward has the hikes plotted on a map. If you click on a specific hike there, you can see their rating for difficulty, streams, views, solitude, and camping.
LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Washington-Baltimore, Washington, DC
Hiking Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia

Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,230 times
Close to DC, but off the beaten path, a beautiful section of the Potomac Heritage Trail begins just west of Roosevelt Island and leads to Turkey Run Park in McLean. The hike is moderate (not strenuous) and beautiful at any time of year. The trail itself is below the Palisades and along the river, and there are connecting trails along Windy Run, Donaldson Run, and Gulf Branch.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 AM

53 posts, read 99,501 times
Wildcat Mountain (Wildcat Mountain Hike) I found challenging enough to get to the top but once there it's relatively flat and lots of space to walk around with a nice pond and stream (very pretty when it catches the sunlight after a good rain). Location is roughly at Rt 17 and I-66; a little south of Marshall.

Though I've never paid to get into Sky Meadow State Park, I'll bet it is a very nice place to hike. I liked going to the adjacent Hollin Farms in Delaplane for their pumpkin patch to enjoy the scenery at the top of the hill.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 AM

128 posts, read 158,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Close to DC, but off the beaten path, a beautiful section of the Potomac Heritage Trail begins just west of Roosevelt Island and leads to Turkey Run Park in McLean. The hike is moderate (not strenuous) and beautiful at any time of year. The trail itself is below the Palisades and along the river, and there are connecting trails along Windy Run, Donaldson Run, and Gulf Branch.
Does that overlap with the Towpath?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
Does that overlap with the Towpath?
The section through Great Falls National Park does, not sure if any other parts do.

I've hiked the section from Great Falls west to west to Algonkian Park. It's a very pretty hike, although probably not strenuous enough for you. There are few places in that stretch where you need to scramble up and down some fairly steep hills, but it's relatively easy. The thing I like about this trail is how quickly you feel completely removed from the modern world.

After you go west of Riverbend Park, you can hike for long stretches of time without seeing other people, and the trail is really just a footpath along the river and up and down a few steep hills. There are a few places where it can be difficult to find the trail. If you really want to "get away", I recommend this part of the Heritage Trail (although ironically, there is one section where you are suddenly reminded that the real world is very real--you follow a wooded stream that goes right through Donald Trump's golf course. Seeing golfers off to the side adds a touch of irony that I find amusing; other people hate that part.)

Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM

142 posts, read 273,154 times
Bull Run Conservancy and Beverly's Mill off Hwy 55 just past Haymarket is a great area for trails.

Skyline Drive is riddled with trails. One of my favorites is Compton Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia