Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,098 times

Advertisements

What is everyone's thoughts on the schools in Fairfax County (Edison HS/ Lane Elementary, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the schools in Fairfax County (Edison HS/ Lane Elementary, etc)?
Are you asking about just those specific schools, or about Fairfax County schools in general?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Moved from another thread for better focus.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-11-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Lane is a great Elementary school, but as my child would have gone to Hayfield if we weren't moving I can't speak about Edison personally. It is a fairly small amount of homes (in Kingstowne area) that go to both Lane and Edison, but two of my friends kids will go to Edison and they seem pleased with it. And I know of a couple students zoned for Hayfield that choose Edison..I think due the AP or IB program, not sure which one is at which school, but one family was very happy with Edison and their child is now at a fabulous college, so something worked.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I'm a T.C. Williams grad who has several friends that have graduated from Edison's pyramid. They all have felt they got a solid education and have gone on to solid college lives and solid careers. I would say the worst you are going to get at any school with an Alexandria address is a solid education.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 PM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
Edison is I.B.

I went to Edison, graduated in 1999 and I turned out fine My non-biased opinion is that it's a decent school, not great nor bad. Some stats if it's important to you: 2/3 minorities, 33% free/reduced lunch, ranked below district average in terms of reading, math, and college readiness. But with that said, if you're active with your children's education then they'll be fine.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM

23 posts, read 74,489 times
Edison High School I believe is still on a 4x4 schedule, which from what I understand, means that the students take only 3 or 4 classes at a time and meet every day. Then mid year the students then take another 3 or 4 classes. I saw my friends child go 6 months, including summer, with no math. As a result it was so hard for her the next school year in math. She was OK with the other subjects. The 4x4 has advantages and some disadvantages.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 AM

158 posts, read 228,347 times
No. Edison is not a well regarded school and it has the awful IB program. If you look around you'll see the best schools have the AP program, not the European IB program. Unless your child is planning on attending college in Europe, the AP program is much better. Edison has terrible scores. If you can, avoid it.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyJo View Post
No. Edison is not a well regarded school and it has the awful IB program. If you look around you'll see the best schools have the AP program, not the European IB program. Unless your child is planning on attending college in Europe, the AP program is much better. Edison has terrible scores. If you can, avoid it.
Do you have any personal experience with Edison or the IB program upon which you base your statements? If so, please share. I've never heard the IB program referred to as "awful" or better for children "planning on attending college in Europe." Sounds like nonsense to me.

As to the assertion of Edison having "terrible" test scores, that isn't how I would read the data. I'd say its a fairly average school on the whole, likely with some students who perform well above average and some students who perform well below average. It likely reflects the diversity of the community from which it draws and there are probably ample opportunities for kids who are motivated to do well in school as well as those who desire to not take school too seriously.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Do you have any personal experience with Edison or the IB program upon which you base your statements? If so, please share. I've never heard the IB program referred to as "awful" or better for children "planning on attending college in Europe." Sounds like nonsense to me.

As to the assertion of Edison having "terrible" test scores, that isn't how I would read the data. I'd say its a fairly average school on the whole, likely with some students who perform well above average and some students who perform well below average. It likely reflects the diversity of the community from which it draws and there are probably ample opportunities for kids who are motivated to do well in school as well as those who desire to not take school too seriously.
I agree with this. FCPS is divided into AP and IB high schools. Different people prefer different programs. And I agree with the observation that test scores are not the be-all and end-all of a school. Just because a school might have a larger population of ESOL kids or kids who aren't terribly motivated doesn't mean that the school doesn't have anything to offer for kids who are motivated and do want to do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia