U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I'm not an engineer so forgive me if this is incorrect, but if the long range plan of rail (VRE) in Gainesville is ever to happen, I would assume this project would have had to happen, or at least in part
The two are mutually exclusive if you have good land use, ie multiple ways to get to park and ride, a decent multimodal network. You would only need to do spot improvements around the Manassas VRE station/park and ride, not the entire stretch of 28. Much easier to implement. Much less costly. No harm in the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 AM
 
1,281 posts, read 1,727,193 times
Reputation: 877
I was referencing your comment on the 600 million spent on the Gainesville exchange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I was referencing your comment on the 600 million spent on the Gainesville exchange
In Gainesville thats not a VRE track, thats Norfolk Southern. In the future they could have a VRE station, but the closest one is Manassas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,859,475 times
Reputation: 3773
They say widening roads has little effect and after the other night, I tend to agree.

I was taking a football team to West Potomac High School and foolishly got on the Beltway heading towards the Wilson Bridge/Route 1. The beltway stopped right after 395. We (6 buses) bailed at Van Dorn St and took the back roads to West Pot.

They spent over 2 BILLION dollars just on the new bridge and untold millions more on the approaches. For what? I thought it must have been an accident or something, but I've since learned that it was just the normal pm mess.

I won't make that mistake again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 AM
 
1,281 posts, read 1,727,193 times
Reputation: 877
So to address your 600 million on the Gainesville exchange (which included areas not even at the intersection) all of that was a waste, even if they bring a rail system to Gainesville?

The argument that 57,000 cars should NEVER have happened is pointless. The point is smart choices that can get cars off the road.

The centerpiece is a pair of overpasses: one carrying Route 29 over the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and one carrying Linton Hall and Gallerher roads over the railroad and Route 29. To further improve traffic flow, crews will also widen Route 29 to six lanes and eliminate driveway entrances and two traffic signals between I-66 and Virginia Oaks Drive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
140 posts, read 226,739 times
Reputation: 138
and right on cue PWC board of supervisors approves the planning of another 1600 residences on Linton Hall Rd. 450 more homes are being proposed for further development of the Braemar subdivision on Sudley Manor Rd.

All this will require another high school (which puts 4 high schools within 10 mins of each other) two more elementary and one more middle school. If you think Linton Hall, 29, 28 and 66 are crowded now, wait 2 more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
So to address your 600 million on the Gainesville exchange (which included areas not even at the intersection) all of that was a waste, even if they bring a rail system to Gainesville?

The argument that 57,000 cars should NEVER have happened is pointless. The point is smart choices that can get cars off the road.

The centerpiece is a pair of overpasses: one carrying Route 29 over the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and one carrying Linton Hall and Gallerher roads over the railroad and Route 29. To further improve traffic flow, crews will also widen Route 29 to six lanes and eliminate driveway entrances and two traffic signals between I-66 and Virginia Oaks Drive.

I will concede the point that IF they make vast improvements to the rail system to bring it out to Gainesville, which is still under debate, then the overpass project would have been a decent one as it will improve train routing/timing.

However, that's still being debated, and in the case of PWC politics, don't bet on it. And to the point at heart, the initial claim that the Silver Line was stealing all the money, the point remains, PWC does get its share of state funds. In fact it gets more than it should based on population and based on amount of revenue provided to the state compared to fairfax which has nearly 3 times the population and receives less annual state funds than PWC. So the idea that the official from Manassas City said that Fairfax gets all the state money, is on its head wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM
 
98 posts, read 160,910 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Well lets see, I had a 3 mile commute that took me 45 minutes today because of wider roads blocking my ability to bike, which basically forces me to drive more than I want to. Wider roads mean hundreds of millions of dollars under the guise and lie that it will help commutes, when it instead just makes it easier for developers to build cheap housing out on the periphery and pass the cost of infrastructure onto tax payers, and wider roads destroy neighborhoods, are ugly, and bring down property values and the ability for hard working shop owners to run a business.

Want to know what happened to main street america? The commuters widened the roads and killed it.

It took you 45 minutes to go 3 miles? Must have been an accident, and also not the norm. You made your point about wider roads ruining neighbors, but you haven't address why extending the the Orange Line into Manassas and the Blue/Yellow line into Woodbridge is not a good idea. Folks saying BRT and beefing up VRE are taking the cop out approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,639,887 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Benz View Post
It took you 45 minutes to go 3 miles? Must have been an accident, and also not the norm. You made your point about wider roads ruining neighbors, but you haven't address why extending the the Orange Line into Manassas and the Blue/Yellow line into Woodbridge is not a good idea. Folks saying BRT and beefing up VRE are taking the cop out approach.
45 minutes to go 3 miles without a car. The issue is that Route 123 is completely unusable for anyone thats not in a car. So days when I choose to not contribute to traffic and use my bike, I am forced to bike to the 23 bus, ride the bus which circuitously goes around Tysons, just so I can go 3 miles down Route 123. Otherwise, if the road wasn't such a monstrosity, I'd just bike it. Would take me about 15 minutes max at a leisurely rate.

If I take my car it takes 12 minutes.

The reason I am against OR/BL extension to PWC is because the density in PWC doesn't support it. The rail will have to run MASSIVE distances, meaning headways for everyone deteriorate so that it can pick up what? A couple thousand people that are maxed out because of the amount of parking due to the complete lack of proper land use? If Manassas/Woodbridge were to put together a strong towns plan showing no new growth outside of TOD, focusing on townhomes and mixed use in the areas around the metro then I would think it MIGHT be better. But then again, VRE already does that.

Another reason?

It will cost between 4 and 6 billion dollars. Where's that money gonna come from? Unlike the DTR/private sources for Silver Line there is no such funding source for the orange, and certainly theres no land owners willing to pay 4-6 billion for the extension and tunnel that would be required across the potomac (See WMATA statement on extensions).

Its all a farse, and for the sake of what? So that it won't be VRE. Well for 4 billion dollars you can make a world class commuter system that runs all day just like metro. We'll even call it VRE Orange Line if it makes everyone feel better.

So in summary. Cost and because its pointless. Even if they magically found the funding (won't happen) it would also take 20 years to consolidate the Right of Way, acquire design plans, construct, etc. Or you could have a much better VRE, in 2 years.

Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Annandale, VA
5,098 posts, read 4,295,905 times
Reputation: 4204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I gotta say, I'm pretty glad I moved to Arlington. More expensive, but now I can actually get to places and things and not have to spend 40 mins driving.

Me too. We moved from South Riding to Annandale. The world has opened up with all the things we can now do with our time and money instead of wasting it in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top