Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 16,967 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I spent more than an hour reading the thread, but some of the suggestions were contradictory or different for each case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls20 View Post
Yeah, I spent more than an hour reading the thread, but some of the suggestions were contradictory or different for each case.
Nothing will be different now if several people answer. There are some retired LEO's (me at least) and some active duty LEO's on here. Then you'll have the opinions of those who "heard" from friends or relatives that such and such can happen.

As Boyd just said. I would go to court and ask if you can plead guilty to speeding 79/70. Find the officer once there, or better, call ahead of time. Ask if he/she would support this. I never had a problem asking the prosecutor to reduce the charge for someone if both their attitude and driving record were good. You may be directed to the prosecutor yourself. If you don't get a deal then you'll have to decide whether to request a continuance or not to hire an attorney.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 26,706 times
hmmm, i was expecting to pay at least $750 for lawyer fees, but i've been getting a couple letters in the mail, and all the attorneys i'm speaking to now are around $500. wish i could find reviews about these attorneys online. has anyone here dealt with sarah bruns? she seemed very nice when i spoke to her on the phone. another guy i spoke to was jad sarsour in fairfax and he seemed overly confident like "no problem, i've never had a reckless conviction under 90" and pretty much guaranteed i wouldn't get a reckless charge. both claimed to know the trooper who pulled me over.

another question: if my points are at -4 right now, would the drivers improvement course, which grants 5 points, bring it to a zero or +1?

i would prefer to talk to the trooper myself to see what he says, but i have no clue what i would even say to him. when he pulled me over, we were both very polite to each other, but this is the same guy who pulled me over before.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 16,967 times
Where should I call the Trooper at? There isn't a telephone number on my ticket.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls20 View Post
Where should I call the Trooper at? There isn't a telephone number on my ticket.
Google Va State Police and call them.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,434 times
Default How should I proceed with my 46.2-862 Reckless Driving Violation?

I received a ticket driving through VA on I-81 in Smyth county. The officer cited me with 82/70. My court date is in September, I am a full-time student living in Georgia. This is my first ticket ever and I can't believe it's being classified as a Misdemeanor. I've been reading and I've seen "you have to claim it while looking for jobs" , "you'll have a criminal record for life" e.t.c. How should I proceed? I'm a college student with no money, but if I have to I will pay for an attorney so that I won't be labeled a "criminal".

Is it necessary to hire an attorney in my case?

Should I send in the paper requesting a trial in my absence? Or will that just make it worse?

I know its not an excuse but I had been driving for about 9 to 10 hours already (from Pennsylvania) so I was fatigued and not really paying attention to how fast I was driving. Though I never drive faster than 80!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSahn View Post
I received a ticket driving through VA on I-81 in Smyth county. The officer cited me with 82/70. My court date is in September, I am a full-time student living in Georgia. This is my first ticket ever and I can't believe it's being classified as a Misdemeanor. I've been reading and I've seen "you have to claim it while looking for jobs" , "you'll have a criminal record for life" e.t.c. How should I proceed? I'm a college student with no money, but if I have to I will pay for an attorney so that I won't be labeled a "criminal".

Is it necessary to hire an attorney in my case?

Should I send in the paper requesting a trial in my absence? Or will that just make it worse?

I know its not an excuse but I had been driving for about 9 to 10 hours already (from Pennsylvania) so I was fatigued and not really paying attention to how fast I was driving. Though I never drive faster than 80!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
A trial in adsence will result in a conviction of reckless driving. And a reckless driving goes ONLY on your driving record and not a criminal record. It is punishable as a class I misdemeanor but no one, barring something really stupid, gets jail time for RD. If I wer you I would hire an attorney to represent me and let them get a reduction for you. That's my opinion.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM

531 posts, read 1,429,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
A trial in adsence will result in a conviction of reckless driving. And a reckless driving goes ONLY on your driving record and not a criminal record. It is punishable as a class I misdemeanor but no one, barring something really stupid, gets jail time for RD. If I wer you I would hire an attorney to represent me and let them get a reduction for you. That's my opinion.
From my research, Reckless Driving leaves a permanent criminal record (Class I Misdemeanor). Both felony and misdemeanors are criminal records. The points received after reckless driving will go away in 11 years. The criminal record itself is permanent and will never go away.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
From my research, Reckless Driving leaves a permanent criminal record (Class I Misdemeanor). Both felony and misdemeanors are criminal records. The points received after reckless driving will go away in 11 years. The criminal record itself is permanent and will never go away.
Ok, don't believe me. I should just say read back as I get tired of explaining this. If you receive a RD ticket on a UTS (Uniform Traffic Summons) in VA the conviction is only reported to DMV. If you are arrested and released on a warrant or even a summons from the magistrates then yes, this is reported as a criminal offense. Arresting someone for RD is extremely rare. I never saw it happens in my 30 years in LE. Usually this RD arrest is attached to something like a DUI or fatality type case.
Thousands of people have been convicted of RD in VA and are NOT criminals.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 59,925 times
Hi, My son was arrested for driving 120 ( yes 120) on I-81. He is 20 and has a clean driving record aside from this. He was arrested in Woodstock, Va and charged with Reckless driving. Yes, I know how dangerous it was. He could of caused an accident resulting in loss of life. He understands what a HUGE mistake he made. Bigfoot or others, I realize he will need an attorney. I am very scared that he will be sentenced to jail. He is a good kid that just made a bad choice. Please, any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you. ( also this was Shenandoah <sp> county) Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia