Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times

Advertisements

I recently returned from the Outer Banks and took advantage of the trip to get takeout from two NC barbecue joints. Oh my word, I forgot how divine slow cooked and smoked Carolina barbecue can be.

There are BBQ joints and pits down south. I have visited the one at the 50/15 roundabout in Aldie. I know about the one in Gordonsville though I have not tried it. I just don't have the time and energy to drive an hour or more roundtrip from Alexandria for barbecue.

Can anyone recommend awesome pit BBQ within 10 miles of the Beltway in Virginia, DC, or MD? I want the Mom and Pop kind, not, shudder, chain-style like Red Hot and Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
Dixie Bones in Woodbridge has always been good to me, but I'm no aficionado. They're about ten miles south of Springfield

Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Dixie Bones in Woodbridge has always been good to me, but I'm no aficionado. They're about ten miles south of Springfield
Dixie Bones is definitely Mom and Pop so it might fit the bill!

I live near it but hardly ever go because it's not my favorite barbeque but my son thinks it's really good. BBQ is very subjective.

When I used to live in southern PG county, there were several "trailers" or temporary pop up BBQ joints on the side of the road that were awesome and had regular hours, etc. I'm sure that sort of thing is still going on but I would have no idea how to figure out how to find them.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
There is a guy who has a smoker set up along Four Mile near Shirlington Village, but on the sketchy side with the duplexes sort of near the Weenie Beanie. He's always out there, but I never tried him. Driving by, it smells divine.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Dixie Bones is pretty good.

Farther out, Smokehouse Live in Leesburg.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:51 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Ok, now you're talking my talk. Not necessarily the NC BBQ but the Texas style. Willard's is near Dulles and extremely good. Always a go to place when we train out near Dulles. Shawn's BBQ is in Culpeper but has recently opened in Warrenton as well. I just took a group of 7 students here, Culpeper, last week and they all thought they had died and gone to heaven. Willard's is an A. Shawn's an A+++.

Willards BBQ

http://www.shawnsbbq.com/

I've done Dixie Bones when I worked for PWC. Good and steady but give me Willard's or Shawn's any day.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:47 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
I am no BBQ snob but my favorite is Rocklands in Arlington and DC (Still I hope?).

I really am not a huge fan of BBQ anymore though except for non-American stuff or homemade grilled stuff.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:06 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
OP---Just curious---which BBQ joints in NC did you try? This past spring we ate for the second time at Parker's BBQ in Wilson.

I will look at the recommendations in this thread because I've yet to find outstanding BBQ in NoVA.

I know that you don't want to go too far but if you ever head north on 15, in Emmittsburg, MD there's Chubby's --- a divey spot with some good BBQ. Jane and Michael Stern, who write the "Roadfood" books really liked it.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am no BBQ snob but my favorite is Rocklands in Arlington and DC (Still I hope?)
Of the ones already mentioned...you'll find great BBQ at Willards (Chantilly) PitStop (Gilbert's Corner) and Rocklands (DC).

Looking forward to trying Shawn's in Warrenton....

Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Best NC barbecue inside the beltway? It's CarolinaQ food truck by about 10 country miles. I lived in North Carolina for about 12 years so I know a thing a thing or two about NC BBQ.

Some idiots will try to sell you on "NC Brisket." Nothing makes me laugh louder. If you like that Texas **** so be it, but it has absolutely nothing to do with North Carolina pulled pork.

Eastern NC bbq = vinegar based sauced aka CarolinaQ which is imported from NC every werk
Western NC bbq= ketchup based and inferior
South Carolina bbq = mustard based and might be my favorite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia