Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
It's over for the next 3 weeks.

Curious to see how federal employees react to the instability of working for the government. I'd bet that most people go on about their lives, other people will start to reduce their spending and increase their reserves, while other people leave federal government jobs.
Well I'l say it again. At least they will be paid in full. In fact for time not actually working. More like extra vacation time/with pay.

My Wife works for private Federal Government contractor. No back pay for her. No vacation. Does that sound like a better deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:15 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
There were quite a few that did, in fact, have to work during that time for no pay - it wasn't a "vacation"!

Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
It's over for the next 3 weeks.

Curious to see how federal employees react to the instability of working for the government. I'd bet that most people go on about their lives, other people will start to reduce their spending and increase their reserves, while other people leave federal government jobs.
My guess is that they will have some sort of financial plan in place before every potential shutdown (I.e a strategy around what bills to pay first, ensuring some amount of savings they need to weather the storm, etc). They will need to be prepared every 2-3 months (in this case they only have 3 weeks to prepare), since they usually just pass CRs for an extended period of time. The majority of the government lucked out in that they passed the full year's budget this past September, so they didn't have to endure this, but that was rare.

I think the worst part about working for the government is the humiliation and helplessness that happens around shutdown time. No matter what level you are, you know you are being used as a pawn for political purposes and are helpless. It's played out in front of the nation through the media, which is humiliating. That is why I wouldn't want to work for the federal government, but other people have worked their whole careers there, and really love their jobs/missions.

I imagine that for career feds, most are not very marketable/competitive for non-government private sector jobs, since many government jobs are very specialized based on their agency and many are heavily administrative. So it's not always easy to completely jump ship. That is why many turned to looking at substitute teaching opportunities when there was concern that the shutdown could last for months (if not longer). Unless you have a specialized license that is transferable across sectors (CPA, MD/other health care provider, etc) or are actually conducting meaningful research that could get you an academic position; breaking into well-paying jobs in the private sector/academics is not easy.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There were quite a few that did, in fact, have to work during that time for no pay - it wasn't a "vacation"!
So you say they will never be paid? And most were on "Vacation".

Old 01-27-2019, 01:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Well I'l say it again. At least they will be paid in full. In fact for time not actually working. More like extra vacation time/with pay.

My Wife works for private Federal Government contractor. No back pay for her. No vacation. Does that sound like a better deal?
So because she is not getting paid then we should not either? It sucks she's not getting paid but we did not ask for this time off. We were forced off and I certainly never saw this time as a vacation. I was actually job hunting as I do not want to go through anymore of these. My health is also dictating I find a less strenuous job so it all just come together.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post

Sounds like she got a terrible deal. As did most of the furloughed workers I knew. Getting back to the topic of this thread, the one silver lining of all this has been knowing which companies stepped forward to help out during a time like this. You can bet I will thank them by giving them my business.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:55 PM

599 posts, read 693,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Sounds like she got a terrible deal. As did most of the furloughed workers I knew. Getting back to the topic of this thread, the one silver lining of all this has been knowing which companies stepped forward to help out during a time like this. You can bet I will thank them by giving them my business.
There should be some type of protection for Fed contractors, not everyone has dual income

35 day hit, 2 missed paychecks with no retro pay is huge for single income families. It’s a true injustice.

Hopefully Trump and his cronies will be locked up by 2/15/2019

Old 01-27-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Yea, lets just shuffle all the private folks under the rug. They don't need any help.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:20 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
There should be some type of protection for Fed contractors, not everyone has dual income

Definitely agree. There was plenty of needless suffering with those workers, too. Most of the resources and events listed in this thread were available to them, right? At least some were (the ones that I'm familiar with at any rate). I'm pretty sure most of the dinners, etc. out in Loudoun were available to anyone affected by the shutdown, including contractors.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post

35 day hit, 2 missed paychecks with no retro pay is huge for single income families. It’s a true injustice.

Hopefully Trump and his cronies will be locked up by 2/15/2019

Not sure what the correlation between the Trump comment and the missed paychecks might be. But I agree on the fed contractors. I was one once and I got paid during a shut down. When I moved to another agency as a contractor I worked during a shut down and got paid. In both cases the company/agency already has the money as they were awarded the contract so we got paid. If I were with a contract company and they left me high and dry I believe I'd be looking elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia