Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 47,803 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum and found some lists of restaurants that are smoke free in Arlington and Loudon counties, but I am curious if anyone knows of a list of smoke free restaurants in Fairfax and Prince William counties?

We have been living here for a few months, and most places we go to are quite smoky (even when you sit in a non-smoking section). We would love if anyone has suggestions of smoke-free restaurants that are other than fast food (McD's, Wendys, Subway, Taco Bell, etc).

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM

179 posts, read 459,476 times
Default Wilting in the smoke...

We too, have lived here for a few months (we live in Prince William County/Dominion Valley) and are aghast at the number of smoke filled restaurants. Like you, we are equally interested in non-fast food restaurants that have 100% smoke free environment. Coming from Southern California via an 18 month stint in Denver, we find ourselves cooking at home a lot more than we ever did, just to avoid the smoke.

It's sad that Virginia is so far behind on this curve but it is likely rooted in its association with the tobacco industry. I'm told there is little if any hope for change here.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM

402 posts, read 852,852 times
Default what?

I'm not sure where you guys are eating, but I have lived here my whole life and hardly ever notice smoke. Maybe if you go to alot of bars, but most regular restaurants are smoke free or the smoking sections are clearly seperated. Plus, hardly anyone smokes in Fairfax county. Its not that kind of area.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I'm not sure where you guys are eating, but I have lived here my whole life and hardly ever notice smoke. Maybe if you go to alot of bars, but most regular restaurants are smoke free or the smoking sections are clearly seperated. Plus, hardly anyone smokes in Fairfax county. Its not that kind of area.
My wife and I agree. We go out fairly often in both Fairfax and Prince William counties, and other than bars, or places with bars (i.e. Glory Days), we don't notice restaurants being smokey. We don't see many people smoking, period.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:42 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Try going into DC or even Maryland. They have smoking bans. Those areas are so close that it might even be worth moving there.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My wife and I agree. We go out fairly often in both Fairfax and Prince William counties, and other than bars, or places with bars (i.e. Glory Days), we don't notice restaurants being smokey. We don't see many people smoking, period.
My husband and I have gone to THREE Mexican restaurants, two of which were in Fairfax (I can't remember their names) and to Don Pablo's on the strip in Manassas and there has been smoking in all of them. We also went to a family owned Italian restaurant in Haymarket called Guisseppe's (I think I have the spelling wrong) on Washington Street and they have a bar attached to the restaurant and of course, you smell the wall of smoke when you walk in and there is no physical barrier between the dining and bar areas so the smell permeates the whole building. We also went to an Indian restaurant in Fairfax that permitted smoking.

So tell us, where do you find good Mexican and Indian food sans the smoking? We'd love a place where we can sit down and enjoy a leisurely meal. There is a Thai place in Chantilly that has no smoking and is very good, it's called Thai Basil. It's not fancy at all, but the food is good and the air is clean.

As for moving, we just bought our house and have completed the move in process...I can't bear the thought of doing it again any time soon. But how about some legislation against indoor smoking in public places, period?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
The vast majority of fast-food and full-service restaurants in Fairfax County are non-smoking facilities. Non-smoking means no smoking inside. You can find a list of them here, courtesy of the Virginia Department of Health. As restaurants come and go, the list is never fully up to date, but it may help steer people in the direction they want to go in...

Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Hello Saganista. Thank you for the list; I guess we were hoping for NON fast food places that were completely non-smoking. We will just continue to eat in more than we used to or use our country club membership more as there is no smoking there, even at the bar. Yay!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
Hello Saganista. Thank you for the list; I guess we were hoping for NON fast food places that were completely non-smoking. We will just continue to eat in more than we used to or use our country club membership more as there is no smoking there, even at the bar. Yay!
There are a lot of NON fast food places on that list. Bonefish, Carrabba's, Maggiano's, Mike's American, Pane e Vino... Sure, some are chains, but they are not fast food. There were others that weren't even chain restaurants. Sounds like someone needs to get off their high horse.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Right...the list includes about 800 fast-food places and about 900 full-service places. You can click the name of any place and see more about what and where it is. All of them are non-smoking though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia