Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I dont know the details about the Saudi Cultural Embassy, Palm Tree School or Dar ul Hijrah, .
Well if you had visited their websites or read my links you would..

Quote:
1) Majority of the Pakistani and Afghan women in this area do not wear the hijab. By and large they wear Western attire, and they do not cover their heads. .
Oh dear... no research to back that up?

Quote:
2) Women in niqab are clearly a very tiny minority in Tysons Corner as well as other places in the general area. To say that you see women in burqa/niqaabs in substantial numbers is again total BS.
You obviously live in the area.And are here daily for 10 years.. Oh... wait.. you don't

**** on my parade all you want.
I know the difference among religious/cultural aspects of the fastest growing religion in the world , including the US.

I have presented facts with research, you have presented feelings

Maybe you should live here and be their neighbors/shop in their stores instead of spouting off what ever Trump blows up your ass.

#MikeDrpped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm tired of all of these immigrants moving in here and taking our jobs.
I dont know one immigrant in Nova who'd take my familys job. And I don't have the skills to do theirs frankly

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Well if you had visited their websites or read my links you would..
I may, although I have no particular interest in learning about Saudis.

[/quote]
Oh dear... no research to back that up?[/quote]

None. Speaking from first-hand knowledge by being part of and being intimately familiar with the two communities.

[/quote]
You obviously live in the area.And are here daily for 10 years.. Oh... wait.. you don't

**** on my parade all you want.
I know the difference among religious/cultural aspects of the fastest growing religion in the world , including the US.

I have presented facts with research, you have presented feelings

Maybe you should live here and be their neighbors/shop in their stores instead of spouting off what ever Trump blows up your ass.

#MikeDrpped[/quote]

If anything, by reading your post it seems like your head is stuck up Trump's ass

Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Paris like america is a western country with western values. We do not have cultural embassys around the world training new incoming diplos not to assault native females or instructing our embassy reps when and under what conditions we can drive. I suspect that if their was a hit in run by a State employees grandchild in Paris, he would have to appear in a Parisian court, not pull immunity
First things first, Paris is a city in France, it is not a country.

We have cultural training for almost all, if not all, government employees, including the military

Also I believe government employees and I am certain military personnel in foreign countries are given training on how to act in foreign countries if there are cultural norms that are different than ours or there are things that offend among a wide variety of other reasons.

I would not want to take a bet that there are not ill behaved American Diplomats or their families abroad and I am certain American Diplomats can be just as bad or worse than others.

Recent scandals involving our Secret Service come to mind.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Default Acute Decimation of the Natural World !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I came to Northern Virginia 20 years ago it was so nice. In fact it reminded me of many Cities I use to live in the Midwest. Move ahead to the year 2007 and it is not so nice anymore.

Here are my complaints:

They cut down thousands of trees all over Fairfax County for cookie cutter development. I am shocked every time I drive around how ugly everything is getting. It use to be somewhat rural and wooded here. The most successful job in Northern VA is clearing forests for subdivisions and strip malls.

The people are kind of unfriendly. I use to think of this area as a Southern place. People use to be nice and friendly. Now, it is more like being in suburban New York. It is harsh with alot of rude people and neighbors that no longer seem to give a dam about each other. (of course with exceptions) We gave up on the block parties five years ago when they could not get anyone to show up. Even a wave between neighbors is uncommon now days. I talk to many people around here with the same observation.

To much ethic diversity. (I know I am not being PC) The schools have gone down hill fast due to so many students who do not speak English. Everyone seems to break into their own little ethnic groups and ignore everyone else. There seems to be little mixing of people and the White people are now a minority in my town. I would welcome the ethnic diversity-- if people mixed regardless of their ethnic background.

Traffic is incredible and cost of living sky high. I want out!
Dingler is spot on with this post !!!!!!!!!!! ... The Rural flavor ... beautiful forest land ... family farms ... vital animal habitat ... and small communities in the country are disappearing at an alarming rate !!!!
Horrific deforestation is totally out of control ... air and water pollution ... the contractor and developers bulldozers and chainsaws are never idle ! ... Its a rabid insanity with no end in sight ! ... I am witness to this nightmare quite frequently and cannot fathom the rate of destruction to the forest trees at a far greater rate than the trees can replenish themselves or even humans can regrow them ! ... We are seemingly headed for an environmental disaster due to the arrogance and deliberate indifference of those among us who only see dollar signs !!!!! ..... Ole Sgt. Lamar says so !

Old 08-28-2016, 09:44 AM

445 posts, read 399,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadian View Post
I'm leaving Northern Viginia just at the time I started liking it, or at least got used to it. Here's what I think is good/not so good.

Good:
- greenery, lots of paths to walk and bike
- plenty of interesting & smart people
- employment & contracting opportunities (well, for some industries)
- good schools, in general
- lower taxes

Bad:
- expenses rise faster than incomes for as long as I can remember
- poor service
- growing immigrant populations *(see below)
- status-driven mentality ** (see below)
- lack of housing choices
- lack of quality development *** (see below)
- dysfunctional transportation system (metro / highways)

More Info:
growing immigrant populations - When you write something like this people are quick to accuse you of racism of course. I love meeting interesting and intelligent people from other countries and consider it one of the best things about the area. What I'm talking about is the daily grind of dealing with more and more people who don't speak the language and don't understand the cultural norms and apparently have little interest in learning them. 20 years ago fast food workers stopped speaking English, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about day care workers, home contractors, substitute teachers, delivery people, medical support staff, etc.

status driven mentality - listen in on anybody's conversation in a restaurant or train and they're usually always talking about their job, salary, house, kids schools, home prices, etc. And you definitely don't have to ask anyone whether they went to an Ivy League or their kids are in private school or they work with someone high profile because they'll tell you within five minutes of meeting them. It spills over into their kids too so you end up with 10 year olds who won't be friends with someone who doesn't have an American Girl doll.

lack of quality development - If this area could coordinate and focus on a few new, really interesting developments, like a new town center, outdoor mall, waterfront area, etc, that would be really cool. Instead there's development on every single block, but its generic and sucks. And the new metro stations to me look like something the Soviet Union would build right before it collapsed.
I left in 2000 and I couldn't help but chuckle over the American Girl comment because it's very TRUE and I am pretty mild mannered and kind and I got a VERY RUDE awakening of how NASTY people can be in the DC area. I moved there in 1994 and stayed for six years. One guy I dated said with a sneer and claimed he was only joking "I could have figured you were put back a grade." And he said it so smugly. I'll never FORGET how cold and control freakish he was. Don't ask me why I dated him? A stupid 20 something decision by a girl who wanted love. Boy was I a fool! Thankfully, I'm not the ONLY ONE as millions of women have shared similar stories online, but unfortunately it's ALL OVER the US. I had another instance with a McLean church I was involved with. While at a Christian retreat I was invited to lunch with some of the members, and they balked that I was an "Admin Assistant" and chuckled to their friend who invited me over to their table and the guy at the table said "I can never understand people like YOU who believe in Jesus without the evidence." I told him I felt my faith in my heart" and he became indignant like I was a day old diaper. Never forget it! Then I was bullied by the MEAN GIRL CLIQUE who were all into VERA WANG at work in an Arlington corporate setting. It actually took a lady from England who said she told them to knock it off because she thought they were being nasty and unkind to me for no reason. I will never forget her kindness! NEVER!! And surprisingly the WORST mean girl I came across in Florida had come from Virginia. No doubt! It's almost comical the way people are brainwashed in this area! I so don't want to move back there!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_NURSES View Post
nova is perfect. all the stats say so!!!!! i couldnt wait to get out of there. the people develop attitudes, for what ever reason. They really think a lot of themselves and turn into .......the traffic is really, really bad......again, all the stats, all the jobs, all the things to do...great , great place!!! I dont ever want to live there again.
You sound EXACTLY like me! And I was raised by a very kind nurse! I feel your PAIN!!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Some parts of NOVA feels dirty but that is because it is. I hate to say this but when I go to Tysons Corner on a Friday or Saturday night, I feel like I am in a Middle Eastern country. It is not a friendly place at all.
Wow! Back in the day when I lived near that area from 1994 to 2000, this area was considred an uber high snob glitzy area. Sounds like a lot has changed in the past 16 years!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Wow! Back in the day when I lived near that area from 1994 to 2000, this area was considred an uber high snob glitzy area. Sounds like a lot has changed in the past 16 years!
No, Tysons Corner is still a very nice desirable area. Although there is diversity there so people who dislike that should stay far away

Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
A hundred years ago, the population of all of Fairfax County was about one-third of what the population of Centreville is today. Maps of the time did not show neighborhoods. They showed the locations of widely scattered private homes identified with the owner's name. Plainly, times have changed a great deal, but there is a great deal as well to say for what Fairfax County has become. Some may long for the imaginary romance of a bygone era, but I've lived here since the late 1960's, and in my view, the place has never been better. Now, if only there were a way to keep the deer from eating up most of my garden every year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia