Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM

74 posts, read 278,051 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to North Virginia from Florida and need some advice. I thought I was happy with Woodbridge but have been reading some things that sway me otherwise. Our situation is we are a family of 4, with 2 toddlers. I am looking for a home to rent in an area with good schools. My wife is a teacher and a good school system is about as important as anything else. I need an area with recreation oppurtunities for my kids, such as swimming and sports in the future. As long as the VRE or metro is nearby, I dont mind the hour or hour 15 minute commute. Dont want to spend more than $1750 a month in rent. In a nutshell, want a community with a family feel no more than 1 hour 15 minutes out of DC via public transport. Does anyone know what fits the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
There is nothing really wrong with Woodbridge. Like most areas, there are better and worse neighborhoods within it, but the area has plenty of people in the same situation as you living there quite happily. Schools-wise, the Fairfax County system certainly has a better reputation than the Prince William County system. Housing costs will be higher also though. In areas around Franconia/Springfield (Metro), Burke (VRE), or Fairfax/Vienna (Metro), $1750 would get you a nice enough 2-BR apartment, but a TH or SFH at that price might be difficult to find.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
I agree with Saganista. I was recently trying to help a friend find a rental in Burke (22015)/West Springfield (22152)/Fairfax (22032) and TH/SFH for rent under $2000 were a bit hard to find, but there were still a few options, particularly if you can live in a TH. I would consider those areas too because you can commute by VRE or slugging. Schools are good and there are many options for free/low-cost activities for children.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There is nothing really wrong with Woodbridge. Like most areas, there are better and worse neighborhoods within it, but the area has plenty of people in the same situation as you living there quite happily. Schools-wise, the Fairfax County system certainly has a better reputation than the Prince William County system. Housing costs will be higher also though. In areas around Franconia/Springfield (Metro), Burke (VRE), or Fairfax/Vienna (Metro), $1750 would get you a nice enough 2-BR apartment, but a TH or SFH at that price might be difficult to find.
With the quote under your name I'm not surprised at your response. (Keep the illegals, deport the republicans) That's why you feel Woodbridge isn't bad. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Woodbridge. Illegal haven.
To to OP. You might consider looking at the Bristow area in Prince William County area. Very nice community and close to VRE. Mostly newer communities with plenty of shopping and good schools close by. Plenty of school sports as well as community sport leagues.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
If you are planning on living farther out and making a long commute into DC, I would recommend one thing: live near a metro station - within walking distance.

Yes, you will pay a bit more for the location, but you'll have a much better commute.

Also, there are hidden costs if you live far enough away from a metro station, such as daily parking fees, extra wear and tear on your car, etc. so don't forget to factor those into the equation.

Btw, Welcome to the area!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
I wouldn't discount Ashburn, VA. Very family friendly and commutable within 1hr 15 minutes with either the Loudoun Transit bus ($14 per day in and out of Dulles North) or early hours (leaving early in the morning and coming home early in the afternoon). You can't get a SFH for $1700 but you could get a decent townhouse. Great schools and lots to do.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM

482 posts, read 1,371,471 times
I just saw a 4 br/3.5 bath in West Springfield for 1650. I wouldn't pay any attention to the Woodbridge or Manassas Choruses. "We live in undesirable places, with hellish commutes, but we'll tell you how nice it is because we pay 3600 per month to live in an 87,000 home."

Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
With the quote under your name I'm not surprised at your response. (Keep the illegals, deport the republicans) That's why you feel Woodbridge isn't bad. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Woodbridge. Illegal haven.
To to OP. You might consider looking at the Bristow area in Prince William County area. Very nice community and close to VRE. Mostly newer communities with plenty of shopping and good schools close by. Plenty of school sports as well as community sport leagues.
Wait don't you live in Manassas? Pot calling kettle black when speaking of the illegal population? I'm not saying Woodbridge doesn't have it's share of problems, but lets not sugar glaze Manassas.

Check out craigslist to see what kind of homes you can get for your price range: washington, DC apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 PM

74 posts, read 278,051 times
So Fairfax county is where it is as in regards to good school system? What are the city names where the better schools are. I looked at a county map posted by the school systme and Fairfax looks like a large county, Im sure some areas are better than others. To go just a bit further, what areas in Fairfax (or any other area that applies) are a good location for schools that are also close to a VRE or metro station for easy, not so much quick, access to DC? Thanks in advance for your help, these forums are a HUGE help, how did people move before?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
For $1750 a month, you're probably not going to be in the nice parts of Fairfax. Believe me, in Fairfax they've got some run down areas and their own share of illegals. At your price, you might be in it if that is a concern. I think at your price, you are going to have to go to the outer counties (Prince William, Loudon, Stafford). Try not to read too much into these forums. There are a few people who like to denigrate any area that isn't their own.

Sure, Woodbridge has it's pockets of places you wouldn't want to be. But there are plenty of families and professionals here who are very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia