Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

From all of the research I've been doing into my impending relocation to Northern Virginia member "Normie" has consistently been by far the most helpful and reliable member on this sub-forum. Her civic pride is very evident for where she lives, and she has posted numerous photos in several threads I've been browsing to help people become better acquainted with the region from the comfort of their offices or living rooms. I just read through the thread discussing Leesburg, and my little tail started wagging when she posted the pic or two of the main drag through the town proper, as THAT is exactly the sort of place I'd like to call home someday! First Fridays, First Night celebrations, a farmers' market, cute stores, etc. What more could anyone want in a community? While I'm not looking forward to living in Herndon, it is nice to see that a 15-20-minute drive in any direction will bring me to many, many areas that I'm thoroughly going to be enjoying for photo tours, nightlife, and to get that "cozy" feel that I'm scouring for as opposed to one of "newness" or "transience."

I know I ruffled feathers the other day on here with my obvious liberal environmentalist leanings rearing their ugly head at an inopportune time and in an inappropriate venue, but you are truly blessed as a sub-forum to have so many dedicated members like Normie. While my native Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum is by far much more "active," you manage to be just as helpful on the NoVA sub-forum with far fewer members, and that is something you all ought to be very proud of. I've had people like Samara, jahutch, and Tone509 send me direct messages as well giving me some sage advice that I very much appreciate. I didn't appreciate the snippy remarks from fellow ex-Scranton area transplants in NoVA who tried to "call me out," but all in all after sitting down and reading my finalized job-related paper work yesterday I'm high as a kite right now with excitement and enthusiasm for my move!

Normie, Samara, Tone, jahutch, etc., do you all get a paycheck for your contributions? I've asked the Administrator to please try to somehow make sure a NoVA member would be included in the next round of OverStock.com gift card giveaways that are usually held on here every month, and I hope he obliges my request. Even though I've done a thoroughly good job of roaring on into here like a lion, I can assure you that I'll be coming out like a lamb. I'm going to reserve more of my judgments until next weekend when we go to visit apartment complexes in the Herndon/Reston/Dulles area, after which point I'll report back with my findings and first impressions.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Does Normie get a paycheck?
LOL, didn't they explain that to you? Everyone moving here from out of state has to pay a special Normie Tax. $20 per post. I think you owe me a few hundred dollars by now.....

It's great to be retired, I have plenty of time for amusements like city-data. By the way, thanks for the compliment but the truth is I'm small potatoes compared to many of the regulars on this forum. (I'm not really one of the regulars. I'm often away from this forum for months at a time.)

I spend half the year in Georgia, and when I'm down there I'm so busy I rarely have time for the computer. But this year was sort of an exception. I spent more time than I expected in NOVA because I came up here last fall to register voters. Virginia is a swing state, so I felt it was more useful to be here than to be registering voters in GA.

Last edited by normie; 04-10-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM

241 posts, read 987,539 times
When you do come down here Paul, maybe we can all get together for lunch some time and you can pay for Normie

Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
If you like farmer's markets, you will love the one in Herndon:

Herndon Farmers Market - LocalHarvest

There's also a farmer's market in Reston at Lake Anne Plaza. I think it's on Sundays. And Cascades has one next to the Senior Center. But the one in Herndon is the best one by far.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'm a huge baseball and hockey fan as well. Being on a budget I'm probably NOT going to be going to many (if any) Capitals (NHL) or Nationals (MLB) games, but are there any minor-league teams in NoVA that might have more affordable ticket prices? I think this would be a great way for a "dude's night out." If there are minor-league hockey and/or baseball teams around, are there any good brew pubs nearby?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm a huge baseball and hockey fan as well. Being on a budget I'm probably NOT going to be going to many (if any) Capitals (NHL) or Nationals (MLB) games, but are there any minor-league teams in NoVA that might have more affordable ticket prices? I think this would be a great way for a "dude's night out." If there are minor-league hockey and/or baseball teams around, are there any good brew pubs nearby?
If you like minor league games, go up to the ballpark in Frederick. It's a hoot. Come up early and spend a few hours walking around the town. It's quaint and a fun place to explore. Sometimes the keys have fireworks, that's a nice thing to stay for. The Official Website of Frederick Keys Baseball: Class A Affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles

Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM

241 posts, read 987,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
If you like farmer's markets, you will love the one in Herndon:

Herndon Farmers Market - LocalHarvest

There's also a farmer's market in Reston at Lake Anne Plaza. I think it's on Sundays. And Cascades has one next to the Senior Center. But the one in Herndon is the best one by far.
Reston Town Center has also started hosting a Farmer's market, since last year. This year, it will start in May. (It is on Thursdays)
Calcium - The Reston Town Center Calendar

Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 PM

And, if you like football I highly recommend going to a game at a local high school. Some of the schools really get into the spirit, it's a fun time for not much $$$. Not sure how much the tickets are for George Mason game, but I've heard they're fun too.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
Reston Town Center has also started hosting a Farmer's market, since last year. This year, it will start in May. (It is on Thursdays)
Calcium - The Reston Town Center Calendar
Hey thanks for the link. I see the R4 Collection Day is next Wednesday, April 15 1:00pm - 4:00pm. This is a really good thing to take advantage of.

Here's what they accept:

- Bicycles ($10 donation, working/repairable)
- Bicycles Accessories
- Cell Phones
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
- Computers & Equipment, (hard drives destroyed onsite)
- Documents for Shredding
- Eyeglasses
- Hand Tools
- Hearing Aids
- Home Electronics/IT (full list below)
- Portable Sewing Machines

Full Home Electronics/IT List
Answering Machines, Cables Camcorders, CDs/ DVDs, Cell Phones, Compact Disc Players, Computers & Equipment, Cords, DVD Players, Electric Typewriters, Electronic Games, Fax Machines, Keyboards / Mice, Hard Drives, Ink / Toner, Laptops, Laptop batteries, Mainframe Equipment, Media, Microwave Ovens Modems, Monitors, Networking Equipment, Pagers, PDA’s, Printers, Printed Circuit Board, Radios, Remote Controls, Scanners, Stereos & Components, Tapes, Tape Players, Telephones, Telecom Equipment, Televisions, Two-Way Radios, UPS - Power Supplies, VCRs, Word Processors

Bring items to the Reston Town Center Pavilion
Items accepted 1 - 4 pm only
Only listed items accepted
No Hazardous Waste

Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Potomac Nationals in Woodbridge:

Potomac Nationals: Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia