Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Yesterday I took a day off work to travel to Alexandria to get my hair done, as Burke where I live does not service the haircare needs of African-Americans (thankfully my bi-racial son got my husband's hair texture, as their are no black Barbershops in Burke either). Anyway, I went to the Fox Chase Harris Teeters since my salon was in that area, and I was totally WOWED and IMPRESSED! I *love* that store, had never been before as we didn't have fancy grocery stores in Prince George's County MD where I use to live.

Please pipe up and tell me if Harris Teeter have in the works a plan for more stores in Fairfax County? I see there's one in McLean, and several in Arlington, but I wish we had one in Burke/West Springfield/Fairfax City. Burke has such older grocery stores, like that rundown Giant in Kings Park that is nearest my house but I won't touch that! Also, don't like the rundown Safeway for when you're about to hit the highway, and the Whole Foods on Olde Keene Mill Rd is kinda oldish and doesn't strike my fancy as well. Maryland had "Lifestyle Safeways" where the floors in the deli area are hardwood and everything has an upscale shiny look. Also, Burke doesn't have a Wegmans or a Blooms it appears.

What's going on here? Do folks try to keep Burke plain & rundown on purpose, to disway an influx of newcomers? I'm disappointed with the Grocery Store options, and so now I might have to drive 10 miles to go to Alexandria's Harris Teeters. Are there any new Grocery Stores planned for Burke? Thx~~
Sorry, there aren't any hardwoods/elevators/wine cellars in the Grocery stores in and around Burke. The closest thing we have to a fancy grocery store is Wegman's out at Fairfax Corner. I think there may be plans for a Harris Teeters out in the Fairfax Corner area but I'm not sure about that.

I actually kind of like the "dumpy" Kings Park Giant. I don't do my main shopping there but I make my quick trips there because it's convenient. You might like the Giant on Burke Road across from the post office. It's bigger but not fancy. Or maybe the Giant off of Huntsman in West Springfield - it opens into a small indoor mall area. The Safeway off of Old Keene Mill is fairly nice (not shiny hardwoods nice, though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sorry, there aren't any hardwoods/elevators/wine cellars in the Grocery stores in and around Burke.
Here in redneck Woodbridge, our Safeways have the wood floors and new lighting. I actually dislike it. It seemed cool at first, but they put in all this dim lighting and these strange hanging bulbs versus big light fixtures. The store is downright gloomy. The bakery and produce aisles are kind of depressing. I don't like it at all but I think they thought it was going to look sophisticated or something.

Now, when Food Lion changed over to Bloom, they also put in the wood flooring. Lots of bright lights too and a lot of color in the store. But I hardly shop there for some reason.

The Harris Teeter is also pleasing on the eyes and they do have one a nice produce section--good selection of organics. But man, their prices are high.

And then there's Wegman's. I know everyone loves that store. I like the "market" area, but I find that while they have a lot of food on the shelves, their brand lines are fairly limited. They do have an excellent international foods aisle.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And then there's Wegman's. I know everyone loves that store. I like the "market" area, but I find that while they have a lot of food on the shelves, their brand lines are fairly limited. They do have an excellent international foods aisle.
Their house brand is excellent, and (obviously) MUCH cheaper than brand name equivalents.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Wow, I don't think I've EVER noticed the floors in a grocery store! Is there something wrong with me? (Don't answer that!)

But you know, it seems like wood floors would be unsanitary....the seams between the planks would have to be a breeding ground for germs?

I love Wegman's too...but alas, they will never be on every other corner. Weg's doesn't "do" strip malls....they are stand alone (taking LOTS of expensive land) because they want their stores to be "destinations". I was at Wegman's for three consecutive days this week for over 2 hours each. (Elementary schools love to go there on field trips and I drive a bus!)

There is a Harris Teeter on Columbia Pike near Annandale...but that would be a hike also.

How about the Giant on Burke Centre Pkwy at Burke Commons? It seems big and modern to me....but as already noted, "ambience" is mostly lost on me.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,381 times
I'm a Harris Teeter fan, too. I started shopping there when I lived in Chapel Hill, NC and was happy to see there are some in this area, too. But I'm with you on the lack of grocery stores. I've never lived in an area with such a sparsity of grocery stores. And there aren't even any Super Wal-Marts or Super Targets to theoretically compete them away.

Unfortunately, I think this is the consequence of out-of-control suburban sprawl coupled with out-of-control real estate prices. It makes grocery stores not all that commercially viable. Of course, people still need food so there are some; they are just very spread out and you have very few options, unfortunately.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but there is a Harris Teeter in Annandale on Columbia Pike. That's a little closer than the one in Alexandria (not sure if you're talking about the same one I'm familiar with in A'andria).

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM

361 posts, read 737,442 times
Yes, a Harris Teeter being built on Lee Jackson Hwy (Rt. 50) now. Just west of the mall; on your right if you're traveling west.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Here in redneck Woodbridge, our Safeways have the wood floors and new lighting. I actually dislike it. It seemed cool at first, but they put in all this dim lighting and these strange hanging bulbs versus big light fixtures. The store is downright gloomy. The bakery and produce aisles are kind of depressing. I don't like it at all but I think they thought it was going to look sophisticated or something.

Now, when Food Lion changed over to Bloom, they also put in the wood flooring. Lots of bright lights too and a lot of color in the store. But I hardly shop there for some reason.

The Harris Teeter is also pleasing on the eyes and they do have one a nice produce section--good selection of organics. But man, their prices are high.

Ditto on Bloom. We like those stores. We went to Harris Teeter over on Hoadly once and never went back.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
Quote:
Yes, a Harris Teeter being built on Lee Jackson Hwy (Rt. 50) now. Just west of the mall; on your right if you're traveling west.
Yup - the sign says it's opening in 2010 sometime. It's over near Fair Ridge. I guess this is why they closed the FFX City store, you don't need two stores so close together.

I looooove Harris Teeter, because about 80% of my grocery shopping is produce and I've never seen better produce anywhere. Their sales are fantastic, too. But their regular prices are a little high.

Wegmans has better selection overall and better day-to-day prices and it is a classy place to shop, but I don't enjoy shopping there. The only time I have to grocery shop is on the weekends, and Wegmans is so, so packed on the weekends. I've literally tried to go there on a Saturday and not been able to get a parking spot at all. And even if you can get a parking spot, everyone is banging into each other because it's so packed. But you know, that it is so packed tells you something about its appeal.

The closest store to me is Safeway by Nutley & Lee Highway. It's overpriced but it's a nice store, too. It sounds like a similar design to those Safeways in Maryland you mentioned.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,411 times
Skapov,

Some ideas for you.

1. Whole Foods. I used to go to one at the corner of Keene Mill and Rolling Rd. I guess that is technically Springfield, but it's close enough to Burke. I assume it is still there. Lovely store, a bit pricey.

2. Giant elsewhere. Yeah, the Kings Park Giant is not the crown jewel of the chain. I suggest driving up Braddock Rd a couple miles to the nicer store at the Bradlick Shopping Plaza (corner Braddock and Backlick). I shop there a fair amount. Nice store and they are now doubling coupons up to 99 cents.

3. Wegmans. I second all the other comments. For me, it's Disneyland. If you like HT, you will LOVE Wegmans. Take the family and enjoy dinner in the store. You wont believe your eyes.

4. Shoppers Food Warehouse. This is not a place that one thinks of as upscale, but it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I enjoy shopping there from time to time. There are always a few things of the gourmet persuasion that I typically cant get anywhere else. Check it out and see what you think. In the same plaza as Bed Bath and Beyond on Little River Turnpike, just past Pickett Rd. I think it is called Fair City Mall, but am not sure.

There have been rumors that Harris Teeter might move into the Ravensworth Plaza IF the Safeway does not renew its lease. The deal would involve HT getting not just the existing store but a few of the little shops next to it so shoppers would have a typical size supermarket. I will believe it when I see it. Frankly I dont know how Safeway stays in business, the prices are so high.

Hope something here is helpful.

DCO

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I heard the Fairfax City Harris Teeter closed due to a major dispute with the landlord. I tend to believe that because the store was open such a short time...I'd say a year or two max. HT spent a fortune building that store so even if it was unprofitable, I would think that, under normal circumstances, they would have given it more time to catch on.

Meanwhile, the ratty Safeway a few hundred yards away survives....

PS: Bloom is building a store in the oooold strip center on Columbia Pike in Annandale. In the 50's, that store was an A&P that my mom shopped at with us kids in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia