Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I worked there for 5 years. There is NOTHING corrupt about Freddie Mac. Some of the leadership may have steered it into questionable transactions, but that is not corrupt.
And those "questionable transactions" have caused a lot of heartache for a lot of people. This whole thing is just so sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
This is tragic for his wife and young daughter. If that job was so draining for him, he could have chosen to leave it, sell the home, and move to quiet town for a fresh start in life. Instead, he chose a drastic and permanent solution to stop the stress.
You're assuming he did this because of his job. Maybe he had a personal reason.

Quote:
What could be discussed is why a person who had attained success and status by northern Virginia standards (due to his career, neighborhood activities, and volunteer work) felt suicide was his only choice. He was considered social, popular, "salt-of-the-earth" by his neighbors.
The problem is, a discussion like that would be nothing but speculation. He may have had personal problems, he may have had a health issue or an emotional issue that had nothing to do with being successful by NOVA standards.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Gee Normie, that was useful....

Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Gee Normie, that was useful....
Would it be more useful to play guessing games about why a person I don't know chose to die? That doesn't strike me as a useful thing to do at all. Especially since we'd probably guess wrong.

I don't know if this is "useful" or not, but it might add a little more insight. My neighbors would say I'm happy, optimistic, successful. If the media asked them if I had ever thought about ending my life, they'd probably be shocked, say such a thing couldn't happen. But my neighbors don't know everything. I did have a moment when I considered such thoughts. The reason had nothing to do with work or money or with living up to society, or any of that sort of hogwash. It was because I had just been diagnosed with cancer and I was terrified at the thought of going through the lingering illness my mother had.

For all we know, he might have had a similar issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You're assuming he did this because of his job. Maybe he had a personal reason.
You write sloppy posts. My words: "If that job was so draining for him..."

You did not read the neighbors' accounts that he dropped a lot of weight due to stress after he took the new job. They urged him to quit if it was taking so much out of him.

Yes, I do believe that committing suicide means he had a personal reason. What amazing insight.

*I'm sorry, Normie. I've been harsh on you. Your posts remind me of my husband's maternal grandma (even your political views). She is a classic narcissist who will control everyone within her reach. You probably are friendlier than she is.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-22-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: adding apology

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Not a problem, no offense taken. I am a sloppy writer. Gotta a lot of things going in my life, can't sit around all day writing CD posts.

Anyway, back to the bit about controlling... Hey, if you want to discuss something go ahead and discuss it.

The way I see it, you were trying to direct the conversation by promoting your assumption that this man is a symbol of "people pressured to be ambitious, successful, and not show any signs of weakness. How many other people are beginning to crack on the inside?" Your words, not mine.

I simply pointed out a flaw in your logic. Why didn't you just ignore me and continue with your discussion? You know... that kind of reaction could also be interpreted as controlling on your part .

But, before we get silly about this--does any of it matter? Like I said, no offense taken. I have no power over you, just like you have no power over me. If you want to draw a conclusion that this guy represents people in NOVA "beginning to crack on the inside" go ahead. I think you're making a wrong assumption (and being a bit overly dramatic), but don't let that stop you.

Last edited by normie; 04-22-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady2972 View Post
NOVA is an uber competive market. Now there are no jobs in the finance world. It is so cut throat here. You visit a recruiter and they size you up in 15 minutes and send you on your way with a "call me". They are killing all of the trees to extend the subway to Tysons corner and Dulles airport.Why do this when there are NO jobs? I am looking to get out of here as soon as possibe.
Well, NOVA isn't for everyone. I hope you find a place you like better. Be sure to leave info about your apartment when you go. Plenty of people moving here are looking for a place.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudRestonResident View Post
Why is everything always about YOU! You turn every discussion on this forum about you! We keep hearing your backstory as you manage to somehow introduce it into every thread. No wonder you have tens of thousands of posts on here! As a new poster to this board I started reading the Northern VA forum the past 3 days and find tons of your posts, including many making fun of people here in Northern Virginia. Nice!
Thank you! You have expressed very well the thoughts of many on this forum.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's not about "ME!" I inserted that vignette of mine to showcase how ANYONE can be driven to suicide in response to an individual who chose to MAKE LIGHT of suicide, which I personally found to be offensive as I also knew someone who killed themselves and to this day I always wonder if there were any more warning signs I could have taken advantage of in order to have prevented it. Taking one's own life is NOTHING to brush off. Perhaps when someone YOU know and love kills themselves while you are powerless to stop it you'll see things from a clearer perspective that those who commit suicide are to be pitied for feeling as if they had nowhere else to turn, not admonished as outcasts or as people who "brought that upon themselves."

I've been a member of this forum for three years now. 15,000 posts goes down to 5,000 posts per year. Dividing 5,000 posts by 365 days is the equivalent of 13 posts per day, and considering probably 1/4 of my posts are only a few sentences and/or a smiley or two it's not like I spend an obsessive amount of time on this forum. I'm on here, at most, two hours per day. I don't know why I have to keep defending that fact from you people. A dozen posts per day is NOT unreasonable.

Show me where I "made fun of people in Northern Virginia." I LAMBASTED the area for having a lack of foresight in urban planning for permitting so much sprawl to occur WITHOUT planning ahead with appropriate mass transit, sidewalks, mixed-use zoning, etc., resulting in heavy traffic congestion and a lack of pedestrian safety in many areas, but that was a grievance directed at urban planners, politicians, developers, etc., NOT at the people of this forum.
Not only are you extremely annoying, your posts run off the page, forcing readers to scan back and forth.

Please, do everyone a favor, give us all a break, and post on another board, someplace far, far, away from NOVA.

Thank you.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,212 times
Freddie Mac is just a government sponsored Enron, make no mistake about it. I can't imagine being an accountant and having such a blemish on my resume. Depending on the length of employment, not listing it, would be an option.

Would you feel better having say a successful cafeteria manager accounting for you, or someone from a criminal enterprise.

"served as mid-level accounting manager in charge of underwriting audits".........
"helped orchestrate the biggest taxpayer fraud since Adam and Eve lived rent free"......
"oversaw the destruction of otherwise very stable neighborhoods by allowing multiple illegal immigrant families to obtain a fraudulent mortgage, that was backed by my agency".....
"implemented programs that forced the largest migrations of people since Hitler"......
"contributed to the near extinction of the construction industry"........

Last edited by nwlv; 04-22-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia