Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 AM

257 posts, read 824,019 times

Advertisements

So, it seems I will be moving away from the area soon. It is a lovely area, but the job market is not for me. Anyway, I'd like to take advantage of the area while I can. What are some must do activities in the DC metro area that are not touristy. (think hiking or fabulous restaurants-not Smithsonian). I've already done *most* of the touristy things at one time or another. Also, what are the nearest/best beaches?

Many Thanks to all of the nice people who have answered my questions in the past and in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM

79 posts, read 250,445 times
- Teddy Roosevelt Island (walk all the way 'til you get to the memorial in the center of the island)
- See the monuments at night -- walk from the Lincoln to the Capitol -- you'll see why DC is such a breathtaking town. Not sure you can do it anymore, but when you used to be able to sit at top of the Capitol steps and just look at the whole town -- wow.
- Great Falls Park
- Go to the zoo on a weekday morning -- see the pandas (yes, it's touristy, but I've lived in DC for ages and still do this all the time)
- Go for a stroll in Rock Creek Park
- Go have lunch in Annapolis
- Stroll through the streets of Old Town and go hang out at the park on the waterfront there
- Shenandoah is amazing in the spring or fall
- Charlottesville
- You asked about restaurants, so don't leave DC without going to Ebbitt, Rasika or Two Amys

Man, just writing about DC makes me sad -- we're moving soon also and I'm really gonna miss this place.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Good luck to you, hope you find a job soon. The closest beaches are on the Delaware Shore. Rehobeth is my favorite.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotlenova View Post
- Teddy Roosevelt Island (walk all the way 'til you get to the memorial in the center of the island)
- See the monuments at night -- walk from the Lincoln to the Capitol -- you'll see why DC is such a breathtaking town. Not sure you can do it anymore, but when you used to be able to sit at top of the Capitol steps and just look at the whole town -- wow.
- Great Falls Park
- Go to the zoo on a weekday morning -- see the pandas (yes, it's touristy, but I've lived in DC for ages and still do this all the time)
- Go for a stroll in Rock Creek Park
- Go have lunch in Annapolis
- Stroll through the streets of Old Town and go hang out at the park on the waterfront there
- Shenandoah is amazing in the spring or fall
- Charlottesville
- You asked about restaurants, so don't leave DC without going to Ebbitt, Rasika or Two Amys

Man, just writing about DC makes me sad -- we're moving soon also and I'm really gonna miss this place.
You are awesome! This is a great list! And I don't think the zoo counts as touristy... .I just don't want to go see the Lincoln memorial or Smithsonian again

Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Good luck to you, hope you find a job soon. The closest beaches are on the Delaware Shore. Rehobeth is my favorite.
Thanks!! I actually have one, but I will be here for a couple weeks, and I will be returning on weekends as I'll be in NYC have an apt here & my husband will be moving after I find an apartment.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you haven't already done this, I'd check out some of DC's more unusual musuems. The kind of thing you won't find in other cities. The Postal Museum, for example. Or the Building Museum. The Newseum is pricey but interesting and unique. The Mint and the Holocaust Museum.

One note about museums, if the FBI is still giving tours, that's a better option than the expensive Spy Museum.

Also, if you like statues, go to the library and check out a book on all the unusual landmarks in DC. Some of them have strange stories (like the half-naked George Washington, for example). Then go on your own walking tour. It's interesting to check out things like the horses legs (the number of legs on the ground tell you different things about what happened to that person in battle).

Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
If you haven't already done this, I'd check out some of DC's more unusual musuems. The kind of thing you won't find in other cities. The Postal Museum, for example. Or the Building Museum. The Newseum is pricey but interesting and unique. The Mint and the Holocaust Museum.

One note about museums, if the FBI is still giving tours, that's a better option than the expensive Spy Museum.

Also, if you like statues, go to the library and check out a book on all the unusual landmarks in DC. Some of them have strange stories (like the half-naked George Washington, for example). Then go on your own walking tour. It's interesting to check out things like the horses legs (the number of legs on the ground tell you different things about what happened to that person in battle).
half naked George Washington... I am intrigued... The building Museum sounds pretty interesting! thx!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I've lived here for many years and only visited the Arboretum in DC for the first time yesterday. What a find. Once in there you won't believe you're still in DC. We only did the Azalea walk and they are at or just about at peak so you'll need to go within a week.
If you haven't done so you have to visit the Marine Corp museum on RT 1 in PWC just before Stafford. What a place.

Oh yeah. If you do the Arboretum take a picnic lunch. Some nice shady areas and picnic tables are everywhere.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've lived here for many years and only visited the Arboretum in DC for the first time yesterday. What a find. Once in there you won't believe you're still in DC. We only did the Azalea walk and they are at or just about at peak so you'll need to go within a week.
If you haven't done so you have to visit the Marine Corp museum on RT 1 in PWC just before Stafford. What a place.

Oh yeah. If you do the Arboretum take a picnic lunch. Some nice shady areas and picnic tables are everywhere.
I did the arboretum and loved it!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 AM

55 posts, read 185,897 times
Billy Goat Trail (C/O Canal MD)
White Oak Canyon trail with waterfalls/pools
Old Rag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia