Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 AM

28 posts, read 23,744 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose to live it? Both take the same amount of travel time to work for me. I have 3 kids so I would like schools to be good. Both look like great towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Aren't you working in Winchester? I wouldn't pick either of them. Why would you choose an hour commute when you don't need to? Purcellville or Winchester, itself, would be the choices. You aren't getting anything in Aldie or Lovettsville you don't get in either one of those locations.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 AM

I know, just rentals get snatched up so fast!!!! There are not any left in Purcellville,

Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 AM

My husband would possibly be working in Leesburg or Reston. We need to find a happy medium.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 AM

I would still go Purcellville or Leesburg.

From Lovettsville, both you and your husband will hit traffic making your want to Rt 7. That's extra traffic that isn't necessary.

Aldie is currently two completely separate places.

1) Old Aldie - Cute little (very little) town with a wine store, post office, mechanic, and sandwich place. It is surrounded by farms and wineries. This is all west of Rt 15.

2) New Aldie consists of all of the new developments being built east of Rt 15. This isn't as much "small town" as it is suburban sprawl.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Aldie to Reston is a very bad commute, maybe 1-2 hours each way, unless he's working off-peak hours. We lived in Aldie from 2012-2015 and route 50 kept getting progressively worse traffic; even 606 through Herndon was horrific too. NV Homes is carpet bombing every little corner of South Riding and Stone Ridge, and Aldie with townhomes and that's just going to make things even worse.

After school starts in 2.5 weeks, go onto google maps and plan his commute including the traffic. Right now it's the best time of the year without the busses on the roads, but it will soon be hell for 9 months. Wait until it snows or rains.

What's your monthly budget? I would if I were you rent a place close to your husbands workplace, and give yourself time to acclimate to the area and understand the traffic patterns. Then once your lease is up you can make a good decision about where to live, and remember whoever said you had to live West and commute into work.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Aldie to Reston is a very bad commute, maybe 1-2 hours each way, unless he's working off-peak hours. We lived in Aldie from 2012-2015 and route 50 kept getting progressively worse traffic; even 606 through Herndon was horrific too. NV Homes is carpet bombing every little corner of South Riding and Stone Ridge, and Aldie with townhomes and that's just going to make things even worse. .
Ok, this seems like an exaggeration. I live in Middleburg and get to NW DC in 1.5 hours, consistently. I have an office in Reston and always plan on it taking about 45-50 minutes. My husband works in Tysons and his commute is normally 45mins - 1hour. So, as Aldie is 10-20 minutes closer (depending on exact location), this time should be deducted from our commutes.

Now this is certainly affected by the time we leave....I NEVER leave past 7am, an prefer to leave closer to 6:30 to (hopefully) cut some time off (usually about 15 mins).

If you expect to leave your house 7:30ish - 9:00ish, then you may get into VRE332's time frames. And, of course, an accident or weather issues can always cause hours on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post

What's your monthly budget? I would if I were you rent a place close to your husbands workplace, and give yourself time to acclimate to the area and understand the traffic patterns. Then once your lease is up you can make a good decision about where to live, and remember whoever said you had to live West and commute into work.
I absolutely agree to rent first.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Yea I agree it's a lot better before 7; our old elementary schools cutoff drop times around was 7:50am, bus was 7:15am. Every parent is headed out on the road after those times

Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 PM

74 posts, read 81,790 times
Are you working with a Realtor to find a rental? I just did a quick MLS search and there are 52 properties for rent in Winchester/Purcellville. If you are just doing an Internet search you won't find everything. I don't work in those areas but if you need a recommendation - PM me.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia