Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 54,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcony Bunnies View Post
My wife and I live in Ventura, CA - and have been looking into relocating to NOVA. Reason? Everyone we know here in California (including ourselves) is either 1) Unemployed/Semi-employed; 2) Filing Chapter 7; or 3) Going through Foreclosure. It's awful. I do Administrative Support work, and it appears that with the federal government and government contract work - there are a lot more openings for what I do.

We're both very intimdated, as it is such a major change from life at the beach. I read some of the posts on this site, and get the impression that NOVA has good jobs, and is a scenic location - BUT, is also crime-ridden, unbelievably congested, has crummy weather in summer and winter, and a lot of snobby people. Both of us have visited NOVA, but that was on vacation. Can you guys help us - what's it really like? Thanks!
We're moving back to Northern VA after living in both Southern and Northern CA for the past few years. NOVA is definitely NOT crime-ridden. In fact, I would say it is virtually the opposite. One big difference I noticed in much of LA and the Bay Area was that the neighborhoods were very mixed (you'd have run-down homes mixed in with brand new high-end homes). It's much easier to find neighborhoods that are uniformly nice and safe in NOVA. Not to mention that the houses seem (to me) to be better built, larger, and more attractive at the same price points. Other than the very wealthy pockets of CA, the public schools in VA also blow away most in CA in terms of safety and educational quality.

Snobby people? When it comes down to it, that's a hard generalization to make about any massive metro area. In my experience, people in VA are certainly no snobbier than those in CA, so I wouldn't let that sway your decision. Like everywhere, you're going to find some really friendly people and lots of jerks too. Growing up in NOVA, we had some extremely friendly neighbors, yet in CA we lived next to people who wouldn't even acknowledge that you existed when you said hello.

After living in CA, I actually prefer the weather in VA. Yea, winter is cold, but there's something to be said about having snow in winter and seeing the changing of the seasons. The humidity in the summer is probably the worst part about VA weather. To me, things just look "cleaner" in VA, probably because it actually rains from time-to-time. Yea CA is sunny 99% of the time, but it always seemed to have a dirty brown haze to me (unless you're lucky enough to live really close to the ocean).

To sum up your questions, crime is a non-issue, your going to find a mix of snobs and nice people in any place throughout the U.S., and while the weather is totally different, some people (me at least) prefer the variety of changing seasons, although I'm guessing most native Californians might disagree.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:

We're both very intimdated, as it is such a major change from life at the beach. I read some of the posts on this site, and get the impression that NOVA has good jobs, and is a scenic location - BUT, is also crime-ridden, unbelievably congested, has crummy weather in summer and winter, and a lot of snobby people. Both of us have visited NOVA, but that was on vacation. Can you guys help us - what's it really like? Thanks!
The economic crisis has really hit California hard; even harder than most areas. I myself lived in Long Beach until last October. I've lived in NOVA (Reston) The Bay area (San Francisco, Menlo Park) and LA (Long Beach) so I can help you with the comparisons.

Weather- if you like the cool summers of SF than you will hate summer in NOVA. I like hot weather so I don't mind it. The temperatures are like parts just east of downtown LA, but with alot more rain and humidity. Winter is hell; on avarage it's about 25 degrees colder than LA and about 15-20 degrees colder than SF.

Traffic- Traffic in NOVA is even worse than the Bay area and a little better than LA (but that doesn't say much, does it)

Snobbery-yeah there is quite a bit of that in NVA, but I could say the same thing about parts of the Bay and LA. YOu can find some cool people too.

Crime-Alot of people swear that Nova is dangerous; it's not. Crime rates are similar to the San Jose area, meaning it's safe. There are some parts that are kind of dangerous but they're not thuged out like some parts of LA (Compton, South Central, Skid Row) or the Bay (East Oakland, Richmond, SF Tenderloin/HP/Mission District ect. ). Like LA, Nova, or at the part of it where I lived, was alot more dangerous in the 80's and 90's. The roughest hoods in the DC area are in SE and NE DC and in parts of PG County Maryland.

JObs-There were alot of good jobs in Nova before the economy collapsed; I'm not sure how much worse it's gotten since. But the cost of living is very high. Just like in the Bay and LA, what's considered a well-paying job in other parts of the country won't get you all that much in Nova.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
We're both very intimdated, as it is such a major change from life at the beach.
Yes, very different from life at the beach--although since there are so many Californians here you will find a lot of familiar stores. Life here is good, but there's no beach vibe here.

I've answered some of your specific thoughts below in blue:

"I read some of the posts on this site, and get the impression that NOVA has good jobs,"

definitely, I think it's the best place for jobs in the country right now. But these things can change, job markets have a way of being fickle. If finding a job is the only reason you want to be here and otherwise you hate the idea of NOVA, I'd think twice before moving here.

"and is a scenic location"

very scenic, but it's a gentler, less dramatic beauty. Rolling hills to the west, not rugged peaks. A scenic river, not an ocean. Much more greenery and bigger trees than in California.

"BUT, is also crime-ridden,"

You may be thinking of DC, not NOVA (they're two distinctly different places). NOVA definitely does not have as much crime as California. It's more likely as you get closer to the city (Alexandria, etc.) which I guess is true in all urban areas. But out in the 'burbs there's not much crime. I feel much safer here than I did in Redondo Beach. I'm an older woman, I take long walks by myself at night, and I would never have done that in Redondo.

"unbelievably congested, has crummy weather in summer and winter,"

These things are true. I wouldn't call the weather crummy, it's actually mild compared to most of the country. But if you're used to California you probably won't like the weather here as much. The winters are pretty mild, but there's no denying that August gets hot and humid.

"and a lot of snobby people."

Some people say this, I don't know why. I've never had a problem with people being friendly to me. If anything, the people here strike me as being down-to-earth. The people I know seem pretty casual, they don't dress up to go to work, they get grubby while doing gardening, they're out in the street playing ball with the kids. I live out in the suburbs (maybe it gets snobbier as you get closer to the city?). OTOH, I think it takes more effort to meet people here than it did in California. They won't be coming up to you, you need to get out there to make new friends.

Last edited by normie; 06-06-2009 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: decided using too many colors was distracting

Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
California native here, lived all over the South Bay (mostly the beach cities). Like everyone else, moved here for a job opportunity. Have since fallen in love with NOVA. I miss southern California, especially the beach, but not as much as I thought I would. My job takes me back to LA 2-3 times a year, and that works out well for me. It's not expensive to fly there--going to California is my idea of a nice vacation, and it keeps me from being homesick. One week in LA and I'm very happy to come home to NOVA.

To answer the questions:

"I read some of the posts on this site, and get the impression that NOVA has good jobs,"

Yes, government jobs are hiring and govt. jobs tend to be more secure. Other companies locate here to be near the capital.

"and is a scenic location"

I like the trees. Once you get used to NOVA, California hills look too dry and dusty, IMO.

"BUT, is also crime-ridden,"

Crime's not a big problem here.

"unbelievably congested, has crummy weather in summer and winter,"

Traffic's very bad, try to live as close to work as possible. I actually like the weather, except that IMO winter is too mild. There's usually only one good weekend for sledding. What can I say, I like snow.

"and a lot of snobby people."

I don't think the people here are snobby, although I'm sure you can find some snobs if you go looking for them.

Just an observation, but when I see people complaining on an internet forum about snobbery or how hateful people in certain cities are, it's usually obvious what the problem is... and it ain't the fault of the city! Soon you'll see other posts from that same person that explain why nobody's being friendly to that person. Some are perpetual whiners, some have an attitude, some are downright mean. Here's a hint, don't blame the city you live in, if nobody's being friendly take a look at yourself.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 40,998 times
where abouts in San Diego did you move from? We just moved from San Diego about a year ago and moved here for work. We live in Prince William county. We tried and tried to stay in San Diego but just couldn't get a job there. We talk about going back all the time it is just so much nicer over there on the West coast.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 AM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Great area but summer is too hot/humid.
Summer droughts exist but no fire storms/large fires like they have in CA. Rain is a blessing. You can grow tomatoes...

Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,663 times
Thanks everybody, your input is really appreciated!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM

179 posts, read 459,670 times
I'm not a native Californian, but it is where I have spent most of my adult life and is the only place in the country I have ever experienced a sense of "home".

I've lived all over the south bay, Marina del Rey, Westwood, Ventura, Redondo Beach, San Diego proper and of course, my much beloved and much missed Carlsbad, California. I am here for the same reasons that everyone else is here; the job market. My husband found his dream job here and it appears the feeling is mutual relative to his employer. If I were a betting person I'd say we'll be here quite a while. There is a great deal of opportunity in my husband's field.

Normie gave me some good advice that I am doing my best to take in the midst of what feels like unrelenting home sickness....it's not that it's at all bad here and there are many things I appreciate about this part of the country. I just miss being home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia