Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
You're right. I have been searching for schools online, I prefer a diverse school b/c it did wonders for me and I want my little guys to have the same experience. But I am finding it quite difficult to figure out more information on who my sons peers will be. Some schools have this information and some do not. And as far as knowing whether the students are "bad", such as in gangs or unmotivated is a whole other story that is very difficult to find out before my son begins at a particular school. I am not sure if it is just hard for me b/c I am moving from out of town and do not have the benefit of living in NoVA as part of my research.
How does ''diversity" help to educate your sons? Why does it matter the color of the person sitting next to them in class? How would that child's race help your son to learn more? How did diversity help you to go to a better college or complete a difficult major or get in a better grad school or have a better career?

You probably want to avoid TJHSST, the best school in the nation, since it is about 50% Asian, and 45% white with the other 4-5% being Black and Hispanic. Or does a majority of Asians, from various countries around the world, count as diverse? Or do you mean what most people mean when they say diverse, Black? (Some also add Hispanic.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
I don't know about the high schools in Fairfax but in Pr. Wm., there seems to be two tracks within the high schools. If your child is in the IB/AP track, they will get a great education. The students on these tracks are going to college. An example of this would be Gar-field HS, it is truly a school within a school (although their admin would not admit to this). The IB students are taking all the IB courses together -- they even have PE together as well as lunch (due to the scheduling of the classes). These IB kids are expected to work hard and do well. They are expected to go onto college and I bet if you looked at the top 25 ranked kids -- they are all in the IB program.
That's amazing that they allow those students to be so segregated. FCPS would never allow that.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by NOVAChick
But I think I could have gotten into better colleges if I had been better prepared through my education and from my teachers and parents. I wasn't and I don't want to do that to my sons. Which is why I am researching schools<<<

Huh? In another post you say that your diverse school did wonders for you! And you want your sons to have that same experience. Why would say you want them to have an experience that you didn't think prepared you well for college and beyond? Or you don't want that for your children?

Sorry, I'm confused about what you want.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM

154 posts, read 504,105 times
Default You're rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
How does ''diversity" help to educate your sons? Why does it matter the color of the person sitting next to them in class? How would that child's race help your son to learn more? How did diversity help you to go to a better college or complete a difficult major or get in a better grad school or have a better career?

You probably want to avoid TJHSST, the best school in the nation, since it is about 50% Asian, and 45% white with the other 4-5% being Black and Hispanic. Or does a majority of Asians, from various countries around the world, count as diverse? Or do you mean what most people mean when they say diverse, Black? (Some also add Hispanic.)
First of all, you're rude. Didn't your parents ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all?

Secondly, why did you respond to my quote...to be dumb about the situation because that's how you sound. If I meant Black, I would have said Black. You actually sound racist and maybe you should have spent more time in a DIVERSE environment which is what it did for me since you asked, like you really cared.

Being in a DIVERSE environment helped me to appreciate ALL cultures and to not be racist and judgemental like how you seem to be.

And, refrain from responding to me ever again if you can't tell me anything worthwhile. People like you are a waste of time and add no value to people's lives.

Schools are a culture. Children experience several things while in school which affects how they live their lives, including college and their careers. You sound like you have low self-esteem issues and would have benefited from a diverse environment and A LOT of communication so you would know how to talk to people. I don't want my children to be like you and suffer from low self-esteem issues which could affect them in college and their careers. And yes, children can suffer from low self-esteem and lack of confidence if NOBODY in the school looks like them, so yes, I would like there to be more than 2 black children in their school. If you have a problem with that...so what. I am sure you would want your children in a school with children who are the same race as them. You probably want your kids in a school with only their race since you don't seem to have much experience with the definition of diversity.

I am sure you grew up your whole life in your safe little bubble which is why you can NEVER understand what life is like for the rest of us normal people who actually understand and can comprehend what "diverse" meaans. So go back under your rock and don't try to understand now. With the close-minded way that you asked me that, I know what type of environment YOU grew up in and you're exactly the type of person that I don't want my sons to grow up to be like.

FYI: Look diverse up in the dictionary. The dictionary is a great tool if you are confused about what a word means. And head back to college to get a better education if you even made it to college to begin with. Diverse is diverse is diverse. Get it?

Last edited by NOVAChick; 09-30-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Default Get a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick
But I think I could have gotten into better colleges if I had been better prepared through my education and from my teachers and parents. I wasn't and I don't want to do that to my sons. Which is why I am researching schools<<<

Huh? In another post you say that your diverse school did wonders for you! And you want your sons to have that same experience. Why would say you want them to have an experience that you didn't think prepared you well for college and beyond? Or you don't want that for your children?

Sorry, I'm confused about what you want.

I feel like I'm doing the hand holding now. Please tell me you are not 56 and this ignorant. I see what you DIDN'T get from your school and it clearly seems to be a good education...period. Thank you for giving me renewed motivation to continue looking for the BEST schools possible for my sons (which means: I want diversity and motivated teachers among other things). Was that too difficult for you to comprehend too?

As if everyone only got ONE thing from school that prepared them for college. Ok, so I'm sorry. I have to pick now. Hm....was it the diversity or the education....hm. Decisions...decisions.

Wow! So you are really showing the experience that you got at your school. Were you even awake during half of it?

I'm glad you are critiquing all my quotes but you might be too ignorant to understand so give up now and move on to posts that are on your level.

Last edited by NOVAChick; 09-30-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Smile Wow!

Quote:
All the colleges claim to look at each application "holistically" but I for one don't believe it. UVA gets over 20,000+ applications which they have to go through within a 4 month time frame. They do not have the manpower to look at the 20,000+ application "holistically". They probably do an initial weeding based on GPA/test scores plus any "hook" they are looking for. So you have to have the high GPA, test scores to make the initial cut or hook they are looking for. After that cut, then they will be looking at your leadership, ec's etc. as everyone will have similar GPA/test scores.

It is very competitive for Valedictorian. My son's graduating class had the #2 ranked student taking an extra course at NOVA to overtake the #1 person right before graduation. It was wierd as the press release had the original person listed as Valedictorian but she wasn't on the graduation program. However they both were accepted at UVA
Wow. I think it's great if children strive to be the best in their academics. I think there are worst things that they could be doing. Parents really just have to do the best that they can to help their children get into a great college. I find it interesting that people are really on here acting like it's a BAD thing to want your kids to go to good schools. Would they rather it be the opposite?

If I didn't care about what schools my sons went to or their education then they would be whining about that too.

I wish people would just stick to the subject and save their opinions for their own "soapbox". Not talking to you on the last few parts, Muffy62.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 AM

320 posts, read 711,743 times
Quote:
That's amazing that they allow those students to be so segregated. FCPS would never allow that.
Hmmm...it is not something the schools can control. Not all students choose to take the HL IB courses or the AP courses and not all students are capable of taking them. Frankly, the school within the school is the ONLY thing that brings in the brighter kids.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 AM

320 posts, read 711,743 times
NOVAChick:

You wanted information and someone tried to help you. There is no need for personal attacks on this board. I didn't understand your post either and with your response to Denton -- I am glad I didn't ask for further clarification.

Good luck on your search for the best school for your children.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Perhaps your friend's school is one that draws from a diverse group of neighborhoods, and the college-bound students are in a minority.
No, it doesn't.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 AM

Default Oh well...

Quote:
Hmmm...it is not something the schools can control. Not all students choose to take the HL IB courses or the AP courses and not all students are capable of taking them. Frankly, the school within the school is the ONLY thing that brings in the brighter kids.

I felt like he was being rude and for me, it comes down to perception. I felt like I was being attacked and that the way he asked for more information was condescending at best.

Many people have asked me for more clarification in NICER, non-patronizing ways. It was directed at me and I handled it the way that I saw it. If you don't want to ask for clarification then that is up to you but there is a correct way to do it. I don't ask questions that way so I don't expect anyone to talk to me that way. He has exclamation points and multiple posts that I perceived as rude. I took it personally so I attacked him, personally. I don't beat around the bush. If I don't like something someone said, I will say it like how he came at me. Don't be rude to me and I won't be rude to you. I got plenty of great information from other people who asked for more clarification (either on the boards or through private messages) and they weren't rude. Why would I care if someone was asking for clarification if the person was being nice and trying to help me?

I don't think anyone appreciates personal attacks. Imagine my shock when I stated my opinion towards someone else and I have ALL these questions from Denton. And how is he helping me anyway? This isn't even my thread. I wasn't asking anything from anyone on here. I still think he was being rude and if he wasn't then he can explain himself and I will apologize and move on.

Last edited by NOVAChick; 10-01-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia