Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 AM

509 posts, read 974,492 times

Advertisements

Indeed, as someone else pointed out, every FIOS installation has a router, even if only one computer is connected to it. FIOS internet should run at a constant speed, unlike cable where you are sharing the connection with your neighbors. The fact it appears to be running slow, most likely points to something on the computer itself - either a competing program or a virus. The TV issue may be a separate one, and could be a problem with the FIOS TV box or DVR being defective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 AM

207 posts, read 752,247 times
>>>How can one of the most densely-populated areas in the nation have so many problems with technology>>>

I have asked myself this very question many times!! We have Cox and their equipment is so old and outdated--poor signals, outages are frequent, DVR from the 90's. Also my cell phone rarely gets a strong signal here either. I bought a new GPS but it still doesnt work in this area much of the time....

Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM

39 posts, read 155,238 times
I've got FIOS and only had a problem during the initial install (which was fixed quickly by the tech once he realized that another customer in my building was having the same connectivity issue) I do notice that the DSL modem that they use to connect to the apartment building's main cross-connect sometimes goes to sleep and will delay my internet connectivity. Once I refresh a web page it triggers it back to life and all is good. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,823 times
I had some problems with the picture disappearing for a couple seconds followed by analog static snow. Very strange and hard to diagnose situation, I admit. After 3 calls they got the service guy to come out. He was very friendly and swapped out everything until the problem went away. It turned out to be the main DVR, but he left his card with me and followed up a few days later to be sure.

I'm very happy with the support they provided.... you just have to press 0 to get through all the crap on the phone until they put you through. At least they didn't out source support -- be thankful for that!!

The picture has been great since and the internet is blazin! Love it!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc07 View Post
>>>How can one of the most densely-populated areas in the nation have so many problems with technology>>>

I have asked myself this very question many times!! We have Cox and their equipment is so old and outdated--poor signals, outages are frequent, DVR from the 90's. Also my cell phone rarely gets a strong signal here either. I bought a new GPS but it still doesnt work in this area much of the time....
I have cell phone signal issues as well. I often have to go outside and THEN have to prance around the parking lot in various areas looking for a relatively good signal.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I never had a problem with FIOS. I loved it for television, phone and especially the computer. It was lightening fast and always there. Just wish that I could get where I live now. It is tons better than Cox or Comcast.
I have heard that the roll-out of FIOS in Vienna was particularly good compared to some other local areas, so it probably falls in "your mileage may vary" category. We also have had very few problems, but I know that hasn't been everyone's experience.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
I'm switching from Cox to Verizon FIOS tomorrow so this is making me nervous! Cox Cable has been fine, access to websites has been fine, but their email can be excruciatingly slow.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I'm switching from Cox to Verizon FIOS tomorrow so this is making me nervous! Cox Cable has been fine, access to websites has been fine, but their email can be excruciatingly slow.
I don't get it! My cable was down Monday, Tuesday, and this morning when I checked it before work. I came home from work and received a phone call from a Verizon technician telling me he was en route to my apartment. Two minutes later I turn my television on, and---(drumroll please...)---it WORKED! I felt so badly when the van pulled up, and I had to apologize profusely for wasting the guy's time. I didn't "do" anything though to try to "fix" the problem between this morning and this afternoon. Perhaps the Fios connection was just down or something?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 97,267 times
I live in a 30 year old building, and my only option is Cox. I pay for their lowest tier of internet service. I don't understand how Scranny complains about absolutely everything. When I have a problem with my internet, I don't go on an an anonymous forum (via the internet) and gather anectodal evidence from other anonymous people. I call the damn service provider and tell them to get it fixed.

Here's my Cox results, not too shabby for the lowest tier (23Mb/s +! )

Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 AM

509 posts, read 974,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
I don't understand how Scranny complains about absolutely everything. When I have a problem with my internet, I don't go on an an anonymous forum (via the internet) and gather anectodal evidence from other anonymous people. I call the damn service provider and tell them to get it fixed.
Some people like to complain about everything and/or come on this forum looking for sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia