Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM

33 posts, read 135,125 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: This thread is meant to be serious, not racist, not terrified, not to incite a frenzy of anti-[fill in the group] outbursts.

That said, several people I know, including myself, went for years (literally) within NOVA without seeing ONE non-Hispanic working at any local McDonalds. It was shocking after a while because when I was growing up, if nothing else, many teenagers would often work there as well as other fast foods joints. So now it's interesting and befuddling to see NO or recently very few whites or blacks (teenagers or not) working in McDonalds restaurants.

I don't get it. Where do all the whites/black kids now work? Or adults of the same colors who would normally work at McDonalds?

Years ago I remember trying to get a job at a local buffet to wait tables in the evenings (TIPS!) and I truly wondered if I wasn't hired because I was, um, not Hispanic. (The place was 100% Hispanic employees INCLUDING the management.)

Has anyone else been through a drive-thru lately or inside of a McDonalds in the NOVA area and spotted white or black employees?? Just wondering.

I also must point out that I don't exactly eat at McDonalds on a regular basis but I do go there for huge cups of ice and ocassionally their cherry pies which I used to get as a child and still like. My point is though I don't go there regularly, when I DO go to any of the NOVA McD's I haven't seen any other ethnic group working there but the aforementioned.

Thoughts?
(If this thread isn't deleted/moved elsewhere.) Hopefully it's not.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova10 View Post
Disclaimer: This thread is meant to be serious, not racist, not terrified, not to incite a frenzy of anti-[fill in the group] outbursts.

That said, several people I know, including myself, went for years (literally) within NOVA without seeing ONE non-Hispanic working at any local McDonalds. It was shocking after a while because when I was growing up, if nothing else, many teenagers would often work there as well as other fast foods joints. So now it's interesting and befuddling to see NO or recently very few whites or blacks (teenagers or not) working in McDonalds restaurants.

I don't get it. Where do all the whites/black kids now work? Or adults of the same colors who would normally work at McDonalds?

Years ago I remember trying to get a job at a local buffet to wait tables in the evenings (TIPS!) and I truly wondered if I wasn't hired because I was, um, not Hispanic. (The place was 100% Hispanic employees INCLUDING the management.)

Has anyone else been through a drive-thru lately or inside of a McDonalds in the NOVA area and spotted white or black employees?? Just wondering.

I also must point out that I don't exactly eat at McDonalds on a regular basis but I do go there for huge cups of ice and ocassionally their cherry pies which I used to get as a child and still like. My point is though I don't go there regularly, when I DO go to any of the NOVA McD's I haven't seen any other ethnic group working there but the aforementioned.

Thoughts?
First, I'll preface my response - as well as the continued life of this thread - by saying that any thoughts about immigration status can be expressed in a more appropriate sub-forum under Politics and Other Controversies.

If you're talking about fast-food establishments exclusively, I do tend to see a lot of Black and Hispanic workers, sometimes Asian. When I go somewhere like Ruby Tuesday's or Applebee's, that's where I tend to see every color in the rainbow. I tend to see the same diversity in most retail establishments that I patronize.

As diverse as this area has apparently become over the last several years, I imagine the service staff at some establishments is still somewhat a reflection of who can afford to travel there.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Are you just noticing this? This has been ongoing for the last 10-15 years in the DC-NOVA area. Teenagers, who may have once found McDonalds and other establishments as a means of working, have the option of working in offices, stores, at the mall, companies, etc. In addition, teenagers today typically have technology skills and have other skills gained from part-time work, volunteer, sports, or involvement in community and school organizations. Furthermore, newer immigrant populations have to deal with (1) a language issue, and (2) a lack of marketable skills like using technology, professional development, etc. You'll see as some groups learn things (i.e., learn the language, gain professional experience, get degrees, etc.) that they move onward to other opportunities.

As a reminder, this doesn't occur everywhere. There are still parts of rural USA (which does not have the growth and opportunities like the DC area) where you'll still see local [white/black] teenagers working at McDonalds and such.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
I have a friend that owns several McDonald's franchises and he says immigrants have been the answer to his (staffing) prayers!

Immigrants show up EVERY day and work hard.
Immigrants work for what he wants to pay.
Immigrants do not complain.
Immigrants do not, or very rarely embezzle his funds.
Immigrant communities are close knit, so he an unlimited supply of new workers when needed.

What's not to like? This is also why there will NEVER be immigration reform....the "right" people want it to stay as it is.

Contrast the above to a bunch of slack-jawed teenagers stealing, goofing off, not showing up, or showing up stoned.

PS: My brother just moved to a lilly white, 100% native born area in Missouri. He says they all speak perfect English at the McDonald's out there, but they STILL screw up your order most of the time. It's not language, they just flat don't care if you get what you ordered, LOL!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM

33 posts, read 135,125 times
Default Interesting

Yep, interesting.

So [white] teenagers have more skills (esp. technological skills) than Hispanic teenagers, as far as teenaged workers go, you think?

And "immigrant" workers simply/most likely are more reliable (particularly at McD's/fast food establishments) than American-born workers?

The thing I'm driving home is, well, this:

McDonalds is as convenient a place to work (especially for teenagers, elderly, etc.) as it comes. The locations are ubiquitous. Employees can eat for free, etc., etc. So to see that it's 99.999% Hispanic employed within NOVA is still an odd thing.
I mean, everyone eats there so surely they don't look down on the place. As far as I know, the pay is comparable to other [retail] jobs. Also, all of the teenagers & sr. citizens I used to see working at McD's back in the day-- the current ones are all in retail?

No one thinks it's odd that there are 99.999% Hispanics working in 99.999% of the McDonalds in the NOVA area?

Exploration: Perhaps BECAUSE of the numbers of Hispanics working at McD's in particular, others just don't apply for work there as much, or perhaps it's reverse discrimination, based on, you hire what you're comfortable with. If there are Hispanic managers in the stores, are they as quick to hire non-Hispanics? And based on the poster here w/ the friend who is a McD's franchiser, Hispanics "out-work" every other group.
Well, as the Hispanic population grows and this scene at McD's widens to other businesses, in 2020 will we walk into the mall and it's 99.99% Hispanic management/workers?
I wonder where all the other teenagers will work? With their technological skills, I guess they'll all be internet millionaires or video game producers.
Ok, that was a tad facetious.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Back in 94/95 when I was in highschool I worked at McDonalds for a year or two, including over the summer. Working at McDonalds is actually pretty hard work and the pay was not that great. You always smelled of fry oil and the food wasn't that great, whether it's free or not. I would not work in another fast food place again. Whenever I order there which is not often, I'm always extra polite because I know how sucky the job is.

I've worked in retail too and I'd rather fold shirts or hawk CDs/DVDs than work in the food service industry. The work is easier as well as the pay is better. Plus if your a teenager working at the malls, you can see hotties at the mall walking around versus fat people stuffing their face with french fries... Oh and the ratio of hot chicks working retail jobs is exponentially higher than the ones working fast food...

Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
No one thinks it's odd that there are 99.999% Hispanics working in 99.999% of the McDonalds in the NOVA area?
Perhaps the McDonald's that you frequent are "99%" Hispanic. As I expressed earlier, my experience here has been more diverse than that.

Northern Virginia is a jobs magnet not only for government and contractor professionals... but also the service industry workers that sell to those white-collar workers on their off-time.

As the "backyard" of the Nation's Capital, this area's socioeconomic diversity is bound to increase. I happen to see that as a good thing. I know that others' mileage may vary.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Well, the McDonalds in Bradlee has mostly Indian employees.

When I went to Kentucky last year, the fast food resturants had exclusively white or black employees. I went to Hampton Roads a couple of months ago, mostly blacks working at the fast food joints. It's defintely weird seeing that and hearing all English after living in Northern Virginia for five years.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I eat fast food too often. My observations in the Woodbridge area:

McDonald's is predominantly Hispanic but I also have seen a decent number of black teenagers working there. I haven't seen a white person in a few years. Well, with the exception of the Hagerstown, MD McDonald's which was full of white people.

Arby's - predominantly white people working there and can't say that a Hispanic stands out to me.

Chick-Fil-A: All types working there. The least represented would be Hispanic; however, the ones that are working there have perfect English. So I'm thinking that Chick-Fil-A might have a requirement to speak very good English, which McDonald's definitely does not.

Wendy's: Predominantly Hispanic, but some whites and blacks here and there.

As for Asians, we don't have many in Woodbridge, so I just don't know.

One of the reasons that teens don't gravitate toward McDonald's is that they can be pretty brutal when it comes to hours worked per week and the times they want you to work. Most high schoolers cannot hack the hours.

Many teens have no problems, though, working at the mall and in food retail in such places as Rita's Ice, Orange Julius, or other similar "snack" places. They don't require too much of a time commitment and are more flexible than McDonald's.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
I think Car54 had it right. For some people, working in a food place is a major benefit that they seek because they can eat for free and provide some for their families. There's a difference between a teenager bringing a free burger and fries as a treat to a house with a full refrigerator, and an adult bringing home the prime meal of the day to a family.

Teenagers who are college-bound are more likely, after a summer or two of menial-type work, to seek out internships, office jobs, and work related to what they want to study and that will help build their college applications and resumes. Not all areas have jobs/internships/volunteer opportunities like that, but they're plentiful here. Or teenagers want jobs that are simply more fun, like at the mall or lifeguarding.

The fast-food places tend to be open from sunrise to late at night, so it's easier for them to hire people who can work without interference from school schedules, sports, and extracurriculars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia