Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

Well as a visitor passing through I agree with several different posters on here. IMO the closer in you get in regards to the beltway the more stand-offish the people get. I know everyone is really busy here so I am sure that contributes to the perceived lack of friendliness. Now it has been my experience at least in the area we are staying at that the white people or more standoffish and less likely than people of other races to acknowledge your existence.

We noticed though the further out we went the more cordial people got, they are more likely to speak to you, hold the doors open for you and in general just be nicer. I am sure as you get in an established neighborhood and begin to meet people who are staying for awhile they tend to be friendlier. I know where we are staying there are alot of people moving in and out all the time and I am sure that contributes to my perceived lack of friendliness.

I am kinda quiet until I get to know someone so it is possible I am the one that has a standoffish attitude. I try to remember it could just be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
....If you go with an attractive female, people will approach her...

Man, you got that right!

When I'm out by myself, I usually get reactions from strangers like you are describing...

But when I'm out with my drop-dead gorgeous (and considerably younger) wife...people actually make eye contact with me and smile and maybe say something. I guess they figure if I'm with HER...I must be okay!

My wife jokes that everybody that sees us together probably assumes that she's a "rental"....LOL

Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 AM

53 posts, read 143,507 times
it depends on what questions you might have asked them
ppl that work for the fedgov might think you are social engineering with them

Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 AM

257 posts, read 565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I also agree with Normie about neighborhoods being "settled." Nobody looked at me twice when we lived in Ballston, everyone there is truly transient. But as soon as we moved to Falls Church City, our neighbors came by to introduce themselves. People in my neighborhood don't wave, but they do always say hello when we're out on a walk.
Ya know, speaking of transient... I've been a renter all of my life. Six years here, 3 in LA, 1 in Cincinnati, and now back here. And no matter where I've lived, I've never, ever met my neighbors. So I've chalked it up to the fact that apartment living is different than house living.

Every now and then, I watch an old TV show called Dragnet. It's a cop show; one cop is married and lives in a house. The other is a bachelor and lives in an apartment. There was one scene where they were socializing at the first cop's house, and the first cop's neighbor keeps calling him over, and he keeps going. The second cop looks at him, and asks, WTF? The first cop responds, "We're neighbors, Joe. This is what neighbors do. But you wouldn't know anything about that because you live in an apartment."

So true.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
I'm from SoCal. I've been on the East Coast for 2+ years, DC Metro for 1+ years. People are very standoffish on the East Coast and get visibly uncomfortable when I say hi to them. I still wave and say Hi to people as they pass by as my SoCal nature is. Now I get a thrill to see the freaked out look on peoples' faces.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Oh I definitely notice it. I walk by people I see every day on the way to my kid's school, and they keep their heads down, eyes averted. Saying "hello" makes them seem uncomfortable. Not everyone, of course, but plenty. I'm not even trying to become their friend - just being friendly! Then they'll see someone across the street they know and they'll wave and call out a greeting to them. It does seem to me that people are very guarded, and only let their guard down with a select few. They aren't naturally open.

My parents noticed it years ago when we moved here to NoVA - they never did establish close friendships with neighbors, which was very different from their experiences living in other parts of the country. They guessed it was due to the transient nature of this area. That might be a factor - my kid has experienced most friends moving away within the past 3 years. Any new friend you get may be gone next year.

Funny thing is, I've been reading the Seattle forums and they speak of the "Seattle Freeze". I read those posts and think, heck, we've got that here!

I'm on friendly terms with plenty of people in my neighborhood, but does anyone ever drop by?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Lieghland
you scared them because you said hi and that they might think you want something next
instead, just nod your head and they will do it back with a smile...trust me

Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okletmein View Post
Lieghland
you scared them because you said hi and that they might think you want something next
instead, just nod your head and they will do it back with a smile...trust me

No thanks. I'm sure you are right but its more important to be me. (sending you a wave and "Hi There!" )

Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
. (sending you a wave and "Hi There!" )
now thats freakin scary...cya!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM

239 posts, read 642,317 times
Vitamin D deficiencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia