Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times

Advertisements

If you jog over the Wilson Bridge, you can visit National Harbor in Maryland. The new Wilson Bridge has a pedestrian/bike area. You can't jog from there to the DC monuments or activities, though.

National Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you live in Alexandria, do you tend to walk across the bridge to activities in DC? Or do you drive to DC and walk to activities in Alexandria? Someone once asked me if they could live in Alexandria and go for a morning jog over the bridge and then around the monuments.
I suppose these days you could walk over to National Harbor in MD. Me, I'm personally not crazy about walking over any bridges with such a large body of water. I'd sooner drive over... or even splurge or a water taxi from the Alexandria waterfront.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If you jog over the Wilson Bridge, you can visit National Harbor in Maryland. The new Wilson Bridge has a pedestrian/bike area. You can't jog from there to the DC monuments or activities, though.

National Harbor
You know, I've never been to the National Harbor. Is it worth going to? Is there much to do or see over there? Caladium and I were thinking of making that one of our restaurant adventures. We thought we'd take the ferry across, and then get something to eat either at National Harbor or somewhere near the Torpedo Factory. Any recommendations?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And in Arlington, living in Rosslyn allows you to walk into Georgetown on the Key Bridge, but it's quite a hike from there to the monuments. The other Va-DC bridges aren't really a walking distance from residential areas - not Memorial Bridge, not 14th St bridge. Maybe some Rosslyn residents walk across the Roosevelt Bridge. You could jog from Rosslyn down the GW Parkway bike path, cross Roosevelt or Memorial Bridge, and loop the monuments that way. Don't think many people from Ballston or Clarendon are going to do that. They may drive to Roosevelt Island and park, then jog. Biking is a different matter - it's very convenient and easy to bike from Arlington into DC and I used to do it often.
I think you could jog to the monuments if you were a bit ambitious. I walked to the Cherry Blossom Festival from Pentagon City once- took about an hour.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,830 times
What a cool thread. It does seem we get a lot of perspective on the more suburban areas of NoVA and not the urban areas.

Well, I live right across from the Eisenhower metro in Alexandria City. Some people call this 'Old Town' but I am pretty sure it is not technically Old Town, although one block over is. Anyway, I digress. During the week, I walk across the street and metro to work at either the Pentagon or Crystal City. A couple of nights a month, we do happy hour after work (all to places that are metro accessible or within walking distance). However, most evenings after work I am either running in Old Town (such as on that beautiful day you mentioned normie ), taking my dogs to the dog park, going to a boxing class, or walking to a cafe or restaurant....errr or Whole Foods to pick up dinner. Friday and Saturday evenings I meet friends somewhere in Old Town, Ballston, or in D.C. for dancing, open mic night, to listen to a live band, or just to hang out and chat at a bar (although I am not much of a drinker). During the days on Saturday and Sunday, I often run down my the waterfront, or meet up with my running group in the city to run the monuments or some other area, I may volunteer depending on what is going on, and I also take my dogs to the dog park often. So that is my standard life. I guess it is centered around a lot of public transportation (even though I do have a car), and walking. This area is VERY dog oriented so sometimes i just walk with my dogs down King street. Many of the shops have treats for them ...well not just them specifically but for dogs. And 'yes', I often meet friends for 'brunch' or for morning coffee at a little cafe or even Starbucks (there are at least 3 within a 10 minute walk me). Living closer in allows me to live a little more spontaneously than my friends living outside the beltway. I can often pick up and do what I want at any time, wherein they plan their lives around traffic on 66, 95, or 495.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,456 times
I ran thru rosslyn, georgetown and crystal city doing my first marathon with the Marines!! it was a beautifully perfect fall day....I felt incredibly blessed to be in a such a great spot on a great day and accomplishing my first marathon. It was so great I dreaded coming back to Cali to the wicked dry winds and the brown hillsides and lackluster culture. I loved the feel of all those areas...lots of trees and wooded areas...we even ran by a babbling stream over rocks. Just gorgeous!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
You can easily walk from Rosslyn to the DC monuments if you're in decent shape. I've done it before when I was too cheap (and poor) to ride the Metrorail all the way into the District. You walk about 1/3-mile through Rosslyn then across the Key Bridge into Georgetown. From here you can walk M Street down to where Georgetown meets Foggy Bottom and walk Pennsylvania Avenue right on down to the White House. I believe it took me just under an hour at a brisk pace to walk from the Rosslyn Metrorail station to the White House when I did it.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I ran thru rosslyn, georgetown and crystal city doing my first marathon with the Marines!! it was a beautifully perfect fall day....I felt incredibly blessed to be in a such a great spot on a great day and accomplishing my first marathon. It was so great I dreaded coming back to Cali to the wicked dry winds and the brown hillsides and lackluster culture. I loved the feel of all those areas...lots of trees and wooded areas...we even ran by a babbling stream over rocks. Just gorgeous!!!
Congratulations! I've been doing 5Ks recently (I placed 30th out of 500+ at the Wolf Trap one!!!), and I'll be doing a 10K soon. My goal is to do a half-marathon in 2010. I was on the Metrorail last Sunday after the marathon, and it was great to see so many people giving thumbs-ups and congratulating complete strangers. It was one of the few times since I moved here that the "DC Freeze" (not all that different from the "Seattle Freeze") actually melted (perhaps when your face is shoved into someone armpit when you're like a sardine on the Metro you just don't mind trying to be friendly?) LOL! Good job!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,456 times
Good for you!! keep up the work... I just had girlfriend who was always a walker, convert over to running....it took about a yr of consistency with her, but I believe she is hooked now. Running is a great recreational outlet and most of us are pretty humble and just enjoy being able to have a beer after that run. You are obviously is a great place to do that!! Run and drink beer, that is...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia