Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Wow, what a beautiful Sunday this was! We did the usual: kayaking on the river, hanging out on the cul de sac (got a kick out of the kids who were showing off their halloween costumes in case it rains on Saturday), walking around taking photos of the neighborhood. The kids had a football game and now we're hanging out watching the Yankees.

Ahh, life in the suburbs. I do love it. But getting to the point of this thread....

I talk a lot about life out here in the burbs, but that isn't the only typical way of life in Nova. I wish we had more threads about city living. I often wonder how my life is different than the life of the more urban members of our forum. I'd like to hear what your lives are like, things like what you guys did on a beautiful day like today.

In my imagination, a city dweller would spend a day like today walking to the corner store to get the paper, meeting friends for coffee, maybe taking a walk and looking at store fronts. Do you get together for neighborhood softball games or is that just a suburban thing? Are there parties going every night or is that just my imagination? Etc. etc.

In other words, what are your lives like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Bumping this thread for a second chance. We talk a lot about how life in the urban areas is different from life in the suburbs. So I'd like to see a more balance look at life in Nova and hear more about what it's like to live in the urban areas. Good or bad, doesn't matter.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
My friends in Arlington spent the day running around with signs for their friend who was in the Marine Corps Marathon. I woke up, walked to McDonald's for a coffee, and sat on the Mall for a few hours to watch some people run by. On the way I ran into an Irish tourist who told me about his week in DC. Afterwards I would have kept walking around, but I had to go home to study

When I lived in Alexandria our Sundays usually involved going to La Madeleine in Old Town and hanging out with a book and lots of good coffee.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I think they were all out partying when you posted, and haven't recovered enough to respond.

How anyone lives (urban or otherwise) is going to be influenced by their age and their life situation (single, married, w/kids).

Here's what I can say from my own experience:

Single, 20s, living in Arlington near Clarendon and Courthouse: Lived in a group house, had parties, friends came over often, nights I'd often be at a local bar (Galaxy Hut, Roratonga, Iota, etc), often listening to live music. Played in a band. Also biked, esp. W&OD trail. Drove into DC for nightclubbing. Later moved to Rossyln, and Georgetown was my playground (clubs at night, C&O canal biking on weekends). Also liked to hang out at Central Library on weekends, reading.

Early 30's, single, living in DC: Weekend mornings, might walk to Adams Morgan, grab a bagel and paper at Comet (RIP, Sid) and read in a park. Walked to the zoo enough times that I don't care to go anymore . Brunch with friends at various places. Early evenings with friends at places like Perry's rooftop. Walk by Cleveland Park and find friends at a favorite restaurant bar. Walk down to Dupont Circle and watch the chess players, read a book, people watch. Movies, especially independent or foreign. Hang out at Kramer Books. Listen to the great sax player at Dupont Metro. Walked a lot around northwest, just enjoying the ambiance.

Now married w/kids, living in Alexandria. Most activities center around the kids' activities. Walk into Old Town less frequently than I'd like. Spend more time at home than out and about. Rarely go into DC

I don't know if urban life versus suburban or rural life differs so much in the activities one pursues, rather than in the atmosphere one is surrounded by. I enjoy the close-in feeling of urban life, the foot traffic, the buildings, etc; whereas in subdivisions I feel isolated and it feels like "house, driveway, house, driveway, house, driveway...."

Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Wow, what a beautiful Sunday this was! We did the usual: kayaking on the river, hanging out on the cul de sac (got a kick out of the kids who were showing off their halloween costumes in case it rains on Saturday), walking around taking photos of the neighborhood. The kids had a football game and now we're hanging out watching the Yankees.

Ahh, life in the suburbs. I do love it. But getting to the point of this thread....

I talk a lot about life out here in the burbs, but that isn't the only typical way of life in Nova. I wish we had more threads about city living. I often wonder how my life is different than the life of the more urban members of our forum. I'd like to hear what your lives are like, things like what you guys did on a beautiful day like today.

In my imagination, a city dweller would spend a day like today walking to the corner store to get the paper, meeting friends for coffee, maybe taking a walk and looking at store fronts. Do you get together for neighborhood softball games or is that just a suburban thing? Are there parties going every night or is that just my imagination? Etc. etc.

In other words, what are your lives like?
I live in the condo canyon of Landmark Mall and surrounding.

My life M-F consists of working 7-4, coming home and studying, and sleep. Friday nights sometimes go out with the fellas.

Sat, a little sleep and shopping (not at Landmark Mall.) Sometimes go to one of my friend's homes in Prince William County or Bolling AFB (they have actual decent sized homes.) I'd have them here but this apt is so small my friends can't even fit. Add the fact that my family NEVER goes out of town and forget it.

Sun, go to church, after watch the Redskins get their faces handed to them on the gridiron.

Not much action but am i really missing anything by not discovering Alexandria? You have Old Town but what's the attraction?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
While I may not have experienced as much of the restaurants as I would have liked at this point, I do enjoy living in Old Town Alexandria as well as being near the Del Ray neighborhood.

I like strolling past the (neo)historical homes in Old Town when I run my regular errands there. They remind me of Society Hill in Philadelphia. Needless to say, there are more than a few historical markers here.

I went to visit the art galleries at the Torpedo Factory not too long ago. Many of them are actually working studios and if the artists aren't busy, they're more than happy to let you admire their work.

Sometimes I sit at the waterfront and admire the river while listening to some relaxing music on my Ipod. I've been meaning to rent a bike so I can join the various people who walk, run and bike through the path that starts down in the country near Mt. Vernon and goes past National Airport.

Speaking of the airport, although I haven't had the chance to use it since I moved to Old Town from the Richmond Highway area, it's nice to know that it's conveniently located just a few miles away from me.

As far as Del Ray goes, if any NOVA community can be said to have a "funky" vibe, this may be as good as it gets. It's no Berkeley - not even Takoma Park, I'd imagine - but it's got an interesting mix of local eateries and establishments including some alternative health facilities for those so inclined.

I regret missing the street festivals that both Old Town and Del Ray held recently. I know that both have farmers' markets most warmer weekends.

Each of these neighborhoods may seem a little slow for a 20something but as an elder Gen X'er, they work for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While I may not have experienced as much of the restaurants as I would have liked at this point, I do enjoy living in Old Town Alexandria as well as being near the Del Ray neighborhood.

I like strolling past the (neo)historical homes in Old Town when I run my regular errands there. They remind me of Society Hill in Philadelphia. Needless to say, there are more than a few historical markers here.

I went to visit the art galleries at the Torpedo Factory not too long ago. Many of them are actually working studios and if the artists aren't busy, they're more than happy to let you admire their work.

Sometimes I sit at the waterfront and admire the river while listening to some relaxing music on my Ipod. I've been meaning to rent a bike so I can join the various people who walk, run and bike through the path that starts down in the country near Mt. Vernon and goes past National Airport.

Speaking of the airport, although I haven't had the chance to use it since I moved to Old Town from the Richmond Highway area, it's nice to know that it's conveniently located just a few miles away from me.

As far as Del Ray goes, if any NOVA community can be said to have a "funky" vibe, this may be as good as it gets. It's no Berkeley - not even Takoma Park, I'd imagine - but it's got an interesting mix of local eateries and establishments including some alternative health facilities for those so inclined.

I regret missing the street festivals that both Old Town and Del Ray held recently. I know that both have farmers' markets most warmer weekends.

Each of these neighborhoods may seem a little slow for a 20something but as an elder Gen X'er, they work for me.
^^ Ditto. It's not a "party central" like Adams Morgan, which lowers the appeal for some people my age, but I can't help but to love Old Town. Some of the appeal might be that it reminds me of where I used to dream of living (Society Hill), some of it could be fond memories of stopping by with my parents on the way home from college. That said, I've always had more a preference for quieter historic neighborhoods (Capitol Hill is my favorite DC neighborhood) and don't mind travelling in order to go have a "party" when I want to. I love just walking around the area, sitting by the river, or hanging out in a restaurant or cafe. I also do enjoy a night at Murphy's.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM

If you live in Alexandria, do you tend to walk across the bridge to activities in DC? Or do you drive to DC and walk to activities in Alexandria? Someone once asked me if they could live in Alexandria and go for a morning jog over the bridge and then around the monuments.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you live in Alexandria, do you tend to walk across the bridge to activities in DC? Or do you drive to DC and walk to activities in Alexandria? Someone once asked me if they could live in Alexandria and go for a morning jog over the bridge and then around the monuments.
You must mean Arlington, not Alexandria. Alexandria has the Wilson Bridge crossing the Potomac into Maryland. As an Alexandrian, I either drive into DC (15 minutes to the Mall) or take Metro. And I walk to activities in Alexandria.

And in Arlington, living in Rosslyn allows you to walk into Georgetown on the Key Bridge, but it's quite a hike from there to the monuments. The other Va-DC bridges aren't really a walking distance from residential areas - not Memorial Bridge, not 14th St bridge. Maybe some Rosslyn residents walk across the Roosevelt Bridge. You could jog from Rosslyn down the GW Parkway bike path, cross Roosevelt or Memorial Bridge, and loop the monuments that way. Don't think many people from Ballston or Clarendon are going to do that. They may drive to Roosevelt Island and park, then jog. Biking is a different matter - it's very convenient and easy to bike from Arlington into DC and I used to do it often.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You must mean Arlington, not Alexandria. Alexandria has the Wilson Bridge crossing the Potomac into Maryland.
Nope, she was thinking about jogging over the Wilson Bridge. Sounds like it isn't practical. But so what, jogging around Alexandria itself would be very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia