Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 AM

20 posts, read 32,447 times

Advertisements

I'll move to VA soon from Los Angeles but i really don't know what to expect
Can i afford a nice house around 600k in Loudoun or Arlington ?
By nice i mean a great area,with 2 bedroom and small garden.
Also which area will suit me better ?
I'm a 26 years old single female, got a fashion degree from FIDM Los Angeles, and i'm a laidback person who loves to socialize and i'm not a high maintenance person. I'll get about 110k from my new job
Any opinion will be appreciated, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Welcome to Virginia!

I don't know how to answer this question, because different people like different places. It would be a guessing game at best to try to presume what you'd like. The descripton you gave doesn't really determine if you're going to like an area. Some people who meet your description have enjoyed living in Arlington... and some enjoy Loudoun... and some people who meet your description don't like either one.

The best thing to do would be to look through the huge number of threads on both Arlington and Loudoun. If you read through them you can learn all about both areas and see what might appeal to you. As a general rule, you want to live as close to work as possible.

Also, I'd look for threads from people moving here from Los Angeles. There are a lot of folks moving here from California, and a lots of posts on the subject. It seems like a lot of southern Californians like Loudoun, but that doesn't mean you'd like it. BTW, some Californians love it here, but to be honest a lot of Californians hate hate hate Northern Virginia's weather (and we're due for a harsh winter this year). It's worth it to read a few threads and give your move some extra thought.

Last edited by normie; 11-09-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
You can definitely afford what you are looking for (and much more) in Loudoun County. I'm not sure that the area is what you are looking for, though. I would say that the LA-area equivalent of much of Loudoun would be Simi Valley - a lot of new construction, fairly affluent families and some young singles, very suburban, etc. If that appeals to you, I think you'll be really pleased with what $600k gets you in Loudoun.

On the other hand, Arlington is a lot denser and older. Normie and others on this forum could probably give you a good analogy in the LA area. Housing costs more, but I *think* you could still find a decent townhouse for $600k. Arlington has more singles than Loudoun and is closer to most of the traditional going out spots in DC and Arlington. If by "loves to socialize" you mean you enjoy bars, coffeehouses, or art-house cinemas, I think Arlington would be a better bet.

Also, I know you didn't ask about this, but a lot of people who move here from the West Coast are struck by how much more Type A people are around here. Many transplants feel that this area has a lot of purpose-driven, borderline aggressive people. Not everyone is like that, though, and once you find your scene, you can largely ignore all the self-absorbed politicos.

Welcome to VA!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
There's a whole thread on here about this article in the Post washingtonpost.com which might help you.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
There are a lot of great places between Loudoun and Arlington. You might want to consider Reston. Here are a few places in your price range in Reston.

View Property Details- 1581 REGATTA LN, Reston, VA 20194
View Property Details- 1303 QUAIL RIDGE DR, Reston, VA 20194
View Property Details- 2025 BEACON PL, Reston, VA 20191

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
You haven't mentioned where you will be working. Commuting time is important to the quality of life you are looking for. Also, one thing puzzles me. Please tell me how you can afford a $600,000 house on a salary of $110,000.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Where will you be working? That's the best way to answer the question. If you're working in the city or Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax, then I would definitely recommend Arlington. If you're working in the Dulles Corridor, then I would say to look to Loudoun. That way you can avoid some of the traffic issues in the region because you can have a reverse commute (Arlington-Loudoun) in the morning and a horrible return commute. A sibling of mine did that for a few years, and then finally gave up when they got married and moved to a midway point, despite wanting to stay in Arlington for the neighborhood character.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaElla View Post
I'll move to VA soon from Los Angeles but i really don't know what to expect
Can i afford a nice house around 600k in Loudoun or Arlington ?
By nice i mean a great area,with 2 bedroom and small garden.
Also which area will suit me better ?
I'm a 26 years old single female, got a fashion degree from FIDM Los Angeles, and i'm a laidback person who loves to socialize and i'm not a high maintenance person. I'll get about 110k from my new job
Any opinion will be appreciated, thanks !
Hmmmm, we need to hookup! Just kidding.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:48 AM

20 posts, read 32,447 times
I'll work mainly at Pentagon City Mall and 2 days a week at D.C .
I can afford 600k house because i have my saving and i was a part time actress (not the main cast though) during college,the pay was pretty good. But i decide to focus on fashion.

Last edited by VivaElla; 11-09-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaElla View Post
I'll work mainly at Pentagon City Mall and 2 days a week at D.C .
Definitely live in Arlington, then. Your commute from Loudoun would leave you profoundly unhappy, unless your car is your #1 favorite place on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia