Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

possibly moving from LA (santa monica).

I used to live in NOVA - 6th, 7th and 8th grade... many moons ago.

now moving back with my wife and two kids (2,10). wife will be working in DC and I'll be working from home.

I'm looking to see what are the current commute times (realistically) during weekly rush hour to and from the following areas - for my wife (To DC) - by car:

wife is a little concerned about the safety of the Metro.

I got some drive times from Google Maps but they seem unrealistic.

Arlington
Alexandria
Burke
Fall Church
Vienna
Reston

Also - are areas better than others for youth Soccer (10 year old Girl)? Here in LA she's an AYSO All Star and Club player.

thanks!!

Samo Dom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMO DOM View Post
possibly moving from LA (santa monica).

I used to live in NOVA - 6th, 7th and 8th grade... many moons ago.

now moving back with my wife and two kids (2,10). wife will be working in DC and I'll be working from home.

I'm looking to see what are the current commute times (realistically) during weekly rush hour to and from the following areas - for my wife (To DC) - by car:

wife is a little concerned about the safety of the Metro.

I got some drive times from Google Maps but they seem unrealistic.

Arlington
Alexandria
Burke
Fall Church
Vienna
Reston

Also - are areas better than others for youth Soccer (10 year old Girl)? Here in LA she's an AYSO All Star and Club player.

thanks!!

Samo Dom
Obviously the shorter commute times are from Alexandria or Arlington since they are closer to DC. I would still count on 20-30 minutes even from here during rush hour. From the others 45-60 can be expected depending or weather and such. As far as soccer there is no shortage of leagues here for both girls and boys.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I commute daily from Reston to the Ronald Reagan Building (14th and Pennsylvania). I have a rider to be able to use I-66 (HOV only during rush hour) and make the drive in 40 to 50 minutes most days aiming to arrive at 8:30 am. Not having the rider would add 20 to 30 minutes to the morning commute and 15 to 20 minutes to the evening commute. The other option from Reston is the Fairfax Connector Buses that feed into METRO at West Falls Church; that option would take 70 to 90 minutes depending on Reston & DC locations.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
The exact destination in DC will affect the commute time -- there is a big difference between getting to the State Department, Capitol Hill, or the K Street corridor.
Also, the commute times from the various communities you mentioned will vary depending upon how far you are from the major routes.
But, in general, unless you live in Arlington right off the GW Parkway, or you have access to an HOV lane like JfromReston, you can count on a car commute of at least 40 minutes from even the most close-in location on your list. Most will be longer, and evenings are usually longer than mornings. Arlington and Alexandria will have the shortest commutes, followed by Falls Church. Burke, Vienna, and Reston will take the longest.

FWIW, the Metro is extremely safe.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM

175 posts, read 437,940 times
The Orange line that services the Fairfax county area is extremly safe and a great deal of commuters are police, agents and military. I don't hesitate to take the family on the metro line.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,061 times
Our daughter plays in the Vienna Youth Soccer League and loves it.

Here's a link Vienna Youth Soccer :: powered by Demosphere

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
as others have said the Metro is EXTREMELY safe. Majortiy of the riders are federal employees, militiary, Dept of defense etc...
No reason for her to drive into DC. We took the family MANY times, never had an issue.

Soccer yes there are many rec level teams in every city and county. There are also may club teams and travel select teams.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Metro is very, very safe. My teenagers ride with their friends and I don't give it a thought.

We live in Burke and absolutely love it! My husband takes the VRE into D.C. every day. There is a station right across the street from our subdivision. He just walks across the street and gets on the train. No driving or parking hassles at all. It's one of the reasons we chose this neighborhood. While Metro is good...the VRE is excellent!

Drive time from Burke to D.C. totally depends on the time of day you commute, the weather, and whether or not you can use HOV. Once in a while my husband will need to drive in. If he leaves early and the weather is decent, he can get from our house in Burke to his office in D.C. in about 40 minutes. In traffic and bad weather it can easily be an hour or more. VRE is really the best way to get into D.C. from Burke. On the VRE the commute from Rolling Road Station in Burke to Union Station is about 30-40 minutes. But it's a relaxing 30-40 minutes!

Tons of soccer in Burke and in neighboring Springfield. Braddock Road Youth Club has a soccer program. BRYCsoccer.org .

Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM

33 posts, read 72,066 times
Springfield Youth Club :: powered by Demosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia