Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I want to clarify one thing... Munster is a great town, and it's also a solid option for anyone, especially if you want to be closer to Chicago. I didn't think it made the most sense based on your situation, but I would hope that you don't base where you move to on a stranger's personal opinion. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 that we listed, to be honest. All are close enough to Chicago, all are safe, and all are close enough to eachother where you can be within a few minutes of some nightlife, festivals, etc in the surrounding towns regardless of which town you decide to live in.

Highland is your best bet.

Portage won't really solve your problem by much. It would still be a long haul in the Winter. Not much to do there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 PM

70 posts, read 124,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
You're welcome for the info! And i apologize, I should have specified more when I stated Dyer...As far as Schererville and Dyer go, look in the areas North of Rt. 30 and west of Rt. 41...I am gonna post a link to a subdivision you might be interested...if you were buying, I would stay away (just because the construction quality of this builder is not that good) but if you can find a rental here, it would be great!

Some people who may be trying to sell may want to rent out for a bit...some others have bought for the purpose of renting....regardless, if you see an available rental in this neighborhood in your price, this might be the best option in my opinion...also the neighborhoods east of it as well. But in general, like I said, North of Rt. 30 and west of Rt. 41 may have what you are looking for!

hat specific neighborhood has a large number of young adults in the northwestern part of the neighborhood (with the two story townhomes with single-car garage)....mix of young and old in the townhomes and well as the small cottages...and this is only a couple miles south of the southern Munster border...it would take about 40 to 45 minutes to get downtown (depends on traffic/trains)
Thanks for the link and info! I will look into

Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
If you're looking to find out how much further Schererville is than Highland to Chicago, the answer is not much. Schererville and Highland border eachother. It would of course depend on which part of each town you're comparing, but AT MOST it would add about another 15 mins, and that's a max amount of additional time if you compare the southeast part of Schererville to the Northwest side of Highland.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss Dyer as being far from Chicago either. Actually, Dyer is probably closer than most parts of Schererville to Chicago. From Dyer, you'd just take Rt. 30 to 394 and shoot right up the Dan Ryan to Chicago, it's a very easy trip.
Cool... what about getting to Whiting? How long would it take from Dyer?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I want to clarify one thing... Munster is a great town, and it's also a solid option for anyone, especially if you want to be closer to Chicago. I didn't think it made the most sense based on your situation, but I would hope that you don't base where you move to on a stranger's personal opinion. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 that we listed, to be honest. All are close enough to Chicago, all are safe, and all are close enough to eachother where you can be within a few minutes of some nightlife, festivals, etc in the surrounding towns regardless of which town you decide to live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Highland is your best bet.
Portage won't really solve your problem by much. It would still be a long haul in the Winter. Not much to do there either.
Yeah...I think I've pretty much eliminated Portage from consideration.

Dyer seems a bit too far from Whiting but I've never really driven from one to the other so I could be wrong.

So that leaves Munster, Highland, and Schererville. I will definitely look into those possibilities, run the numbers, and see if it would be worth moving. Seems like I'd be saving about 30-50 minutes on the road per day depending on how far south I go. I would be saving about 50-60 miles of driving per day...which would be a nice savings in gas (and tolls) although much of that would probably be eaten up by the extra housing costs.

What are the shopping options in Highland and Munster? I've been shopping in Schererville, which seems to have a lot of stores, but not the other two towns.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7624 View Post
Yeah...I think I've pretty much eliminated Portage from consideration.

Dyer seems a bit too far from Whiting but I've never really driven from one to the other so I could be wrong.

So that leaves Munster, Highland, and Schererville. I will definitely look into those possibilities, run the numbers, and see if it would be worth moving. Seems like I'd be saving about 30-50 minutes on the road per day depending on how far south I go. I would be saving about 50-60 miles of driving per day...which would be a nice savings in gas (and tolls) although much of that would probably be eaten up by the extra housing costs.

What are the shopping options in Highland and Munster? I've been shopping in Schererville, which seems to have a lot of stores, but not the other two towns.
From Dyer to Whiting is about 25-30 mins, right up Calumet. It's about the same, if not slightly quicker, than from Schererville to Whiting which you'd probably take Indianapolis Blvd straight north. Both Calumet and Indianpolis Blvd are pretty high traffic roads though.

Regarding the shopping options, the main shopping centers in the area are in southern Highland and Northwest Schererville along Indianapolis Blvd. Munster doesn't have much shopping, but they are in the process of putting up Munster shops which is on Calumet just north of Ridge.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
From Dyer to Whiting is about 25-30 mins, right up Calumet. It's about the same, if not slightly quicker, than from Schererville to Whiting which you'd probably take Indianapolis Blvd straight north. Both Calumet and Indianpolis Blvd are pretty high traffic roads though.

Regarding the shopping options, the main shopping centers in the area are in southern Highland and Northwest Schererville along Indianapolis Blvd. Munster doesn't have much shopping, but they are in the process of putting up Munster shops which is on Calumet just north of Ridge.
Thanks for the info!

I've been browsing craigslist but don't really see too many rentals in those areas. Are there any other sites that would have rental listings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana