Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1064 View Post
Would Mariano's pose a competitive threat to Strack & Van Til?
I doubt it, at least in NW Indiana. Even if they enter NW Indiana they would likely only put in one or two stores. Stracks has two locations in Hammond alone. Mariano's would never put in as many stores as Strack already has.

Maybe more in Illinois as Strack's has been expanding into more lately. They been doing more Ultra's in Illinois though, and Ultra and Mariano's don't really compete against each other as much.

Mariano's seems better run then Dominick's was in the last decade, so growing into Illinois will be more competitive.

I think Jewel will be the "victim" in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM

277 posts, read 442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post

Jewel was already bought out by Cerberus last year. I can see it "trying" for a couple of years, and so far I haven't seen any decline locally at the Dyer Store.

Cerberus takes control of Jewel - Chicago Tribune

We'll see if they're back on track. I think it's the 3rd owner in 13 years.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:49 PM

166 posts, read 286,881 times
I noticed the Munster Jewel has been renovated and updated, but not sure if old or new owner did that.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM

166 posts, read 286,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I doubt it, at least in NW Indiana. Even if they enter NW Indiana they would likely only put in one or two stores. Stracks has two locations in Hammond alone. Mariano's would never put in as many stores as Strack already has.

Maybe more in Illinois as Strack's has been expanding into more lately. They been doing more Ultra's in Illinois though, and Ultra and Mariano's don't really compete against each other as much.

Mariano's seems better run then Dominick's was in the last decade, so growing into Illinois will be more competitive.

I could see Mariano's putting stores in Schererville and Merrillville/Hobart (the latter along the U.S. 30 corridor).

Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
I noticed the Munster Jewel has been renovated and updated, but not sure if old or new owner did that.
It has been renovated for a few years now, I believe. I think the facade could use a little freshening up though.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 63,812 times
The Munster Jewel is still a nightmare place to shop, with crappy produce and high prices. Stracks down the street on Ridge isn't any better. Most people I know in Munster head down to Meijer. Should Jewel (as I hope, although I'd hate for those people to lose their jobs) close, I think there's a niche on Ridge for an upscale grocer like Mariano's or Fresh Market to come in.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:15 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvida42 View Post
The Munster Jewel is still a nightmare place to shop, with crappy produce and high prices. Stracks down the street on Ridge isn't any better. Most people I know in Munster head down to Meijer. Should Jewel (as I hope, although I'd hate for those people to lose their jobs) close, I think there's a niche on Ridge for an upscale grocer like Mariano's or Fresh Market to come in.
If it closed, it would be perfect for a Whole Foods too! At the same time, I believe that if Jewel were to begin closing locations, Munster would be one of the last ones to close (or Dyer)...First to close would probably be Crown Point.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM

172 posts, read 316,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
They already have a store in Tinley Park and just purchased one in Shorewood, near Joliet. Not sure why they wouldn't eventually enter the NWI market.

It's actually near downtown frankfort which is more upscale then Tinley

Old 08-02-2014, 12:41 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Looking forward to Whole Foods opening in Schererville in 2014. Mariano's (Mariano's : Mariano's) has a similar brand and would also likely do well in Northwest Indiana. I've gone to the Mariano's in Frankfort, IL and totally enjoyed the shopping experience.

What do you think?
It's possible. Jewel opened up 1 (2?) NW indiana store(s), which is a Chicago based chain. I don't know why it would be insane to think marianos would do the same. Technically, Marianos is roundy's Chicago metropolitan area branch, and, some parts of NW indiana is considered the Chicago metropolitan area. But I'd only imagine it opening in Dyer or Munster. With the exception of a store opening via tax dollars in a rough Chicago neighborhood, marianos are mainly found in affluent suburbs or areas, so if it ever does go there, I wouldn't bet on seeing it in Hammond, Gary, or east Chicago .

Old 08-04-2014, 05:06 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
I think Mariano's will be taking the next couple of years integrating all those bankrupt Dominick's it picked up in Illinois to even bother with NW Indiana. Had Dominick's still had a store here maybe, but since there wasn't, they have enough on their plate.

Maybe a few years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana